FMQing for the week of July 2nd 2012

rated by 0 users
This post has 22 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara Posted: Mon, Jul 2 2012 4:22 PM

HI everyone ,first I want to wish all of you a safe  and happy July 4th holiday . HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMERICA.

This week I tried something a little different, I'm still trying to keep the patterns simple for all of the new folks who have joined us, I just happen to have EQ7 so I went to my EQ library,and pulled up some stencil and motif patterns to try , they actually worked really well . I printed the patterns off my computer and then took them to the machine and pulled the thread out of the machine and stitched holes along all the lines, I then placed the pattern on my fabric and traced it with a frixion pen, took a little hard pressing but It did go thru ,what didn't I retraced and ended up with some great patterns that can be used in those big plain blocks like we used in the scrappy quilt that Nana 's group just did,  These are really simple patterns and easy to follow the lines while you  stitch. If you do not have  EG7, you can do the same thing with a child's coloring book ,magazine or any simple design you can find ,and trace it. this method of placing the holes can also be used with a pounce pad and chalk, Give it a try ,it is not hard at all just a little time consuming .I hope you will all join me and post your practice blocks ,I look forward to seeing them,   Remember to take a deep breath ,and have fun.  Barbara

This one I put in just to show up what you can do with loops circles and lines, I was playing around at retreat and came up with this, I was kinda proud of it. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,381
Points 175,198
Marie replied on Mon, Jul 2 2012 7:53 PM

Barbara:
I was playing around at retreat and came up with this, I was kinda proud of it

Barbara, you should be proud!  You are doing a fantastic job with this group, I can't say that enough.  Your samples are great this week but I must confess that I can't figure out where you started and the route you took on some of them.  The magazine articles have arrows and that's the only reason why I know how to try and  make their designs.  This is not a complaint but if I'm having that problem I thought that maybe other beginners may be having the same problem.  If not I apologize and chalk it up to my brain function or lack of.  LOL

Millbury, MA

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Mon, Jul 2 2012 8:09 PM

Marie, thanks I appericate your input ,I just kinda picked a spot and started, but I also drew then out on the fabric. I made stencils from my copy paper. there were no arrows and lines on any of these, I was just trying to find simple designs for everyone, I will see if I can rework some of the patterns ,and put in some arrows for ya. These were patterns from my EQ7 software. I 'm not sure if I can post these patterns for all to copy ,I will see what I can find out.

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,381
Points 175,198
Marie replied on Mon, Jul 2 2012 8:46 PM

Barbara, thanks for not taking my post in the wrong way, I worry I might offend someone with my honesty.  My brain truly can't compute patterns in some of the books without the arrows.  Please don't go to any trouble with EQ7, maybe drawing in some arrows after you've done the FM.  If you get me started on one segment of the design then I usually can take it from there.  Thanks for your concern.

Millbury, MA

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 571
Points 10,140
Tami Paul replied on Mon, Jul 2 2012 10:38 PM

hI, looks good. I will try to look for some patterns during the week to punch. I need to get something to mark with. What do you thing would be the best seeing how I will have to buy something. The only thing I practiced on today was just  working on getting control of my speed and stich length. I then decided to work on my MQ6, I got the back all pressed and sewn together, got it sandwiched up. Loaded it up on the machine, and then realized I didnt have the color of thread I wanted , so I  need to get some of that too. But DH got the machine extention done that I asked for. Like usually he did over kill and it cost as much as if I would have bought one. He started talking about making something to clamp it down with. I told him it wasnt going to need anything . but if it did I would just buy some of that rubber self stuff from the dollar store. Sorry to hear people are/were without power, that happened here once and then once I had my own power outage,and I know it isnt any fun!

well here is a pic...

Tami of Walla Walla, Washington

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,735
Points 364,772
Kris replied on Mon, Jul 2 2012 11:45 PM

Marie:

Barbara, thanks for not taking my post in the wrong way, I worry I might offend someone with my honesty.  My brain truly can't compute patterns in some of the books without the arrows.  Please don't go to any trouble with EQ7, maybe drawing in some arrows after you've done the FM.  If you get me started on one segment of the design then I usually can take it from there.  Thanks for your concern.

Marie,

if the designs are continuous lines you can start anywhere; You won't need directional lines. I try to do these types of designs as much as possible.

Trace over the design with you fingers to help you determine the best starting point.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,735
Points 364,772
Kris replied on Mon, Jul 2 2012 11:48 PM

Barbara,

I love this week's samples. You're really making this thread fun to watch. I love the design you did at retreat. The weathervane is a nice whimsical touch and the tulip ring is one of my favourites. Which volume did these come from?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Tue, Jul 3 2012 4:53 AM

Kris I just have the plain old EQ7 ,these came out of the library ,I pulled them from the stencils and motifs I'm not really sure about volume, as there is none listed on my box.  Oh and thanks for the kind words , I try real hard to make it intresting .. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Tue, Jul 3 2012 4:58 AM

Tami, your extension table is going to be fabulous,  My late hubby made one for me when I was using my Brother machine,  We used a kitchen cutting board and cut it down and then used an old broom handle for the legs, it worked great and I still have it if I use the brother. Its nice to have hubbies that can do these things. Barbara

Tami as for marking ,I like to use the Frixion Pens, I can iron the pattern off once it is finished,  they come in multiple colors,you can get the whole set from Amazon where I found the price to be alittle cheaper.

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,381
Points 175,198
Marie replied on Tue, Jul 3 2012 6:50 AM

Kris:
if the designs are continuous lines

Thanks Kris, I was able to do that with most of the designs but am having trouble with Rooster, grapes, tulip.  I hate to ask if anyone else is having this problem, I feel like a dunce!

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Tue, Jul 3 2012 9:21 AM

Marie, these were drawn from a stencil ,if you are trying to do them free style you will have problems , I was trying to show folks that any patterns can be used ,if they are kept simple ,try to copy some out of a magazine or  a coloring book can be a great source , don't  thrash your brain trying to do these without a stencil , Guess I messed this one up lol  , just do what you can Marie, and don't  worry about it.  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020
Barbara, Well done, regardless what you used. It gives me hope that if I practice, practice, practice I can do the same. Doing a straight line can be a challenge. Mine sometimes are squiggly.

MelodyP

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020
Tami, this is cool. I'm going to show it to my husband.

MelodyP

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 571
Points 10,140
Tami Paul replied on Tue, Jul 3 2012 10:44 AM

MelodyP MO/KS:
Tami, this is cool. I'm going to show it to my husband.

Cool, I found a pattern on line that had peglegs but he wouldnt have anything to do with it. Not sure what he thinks I am going to be putting on it. Anyway he is a framer for a living so he has all the toys and knowledge to do it without a pattern. I just set the plexiglass on the machine where I wanted . ( was afraid that he would put to much forward of the machine, and I would be in pain trying to reach my projects) The pattern said you could get one of those push button "closet lights" and put under it for doing tracing, I might get one, just incase.

Also found the pens on ebay for the same price as amazon, just free shipping. but looks like 1st of next week before it will be here , Maybe I will get lucky and it will be earlier....

Tami of Walla Walla, Washington

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Tue, Jul 3 2012 11:09 AM

Tami, I didn't even think of Ebay good to know ,  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 12Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use