Fmq for the week of 6-10-12

rated by 0 users
This post has 19 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 20,261
Points 254,154
Barbara Posted: Mon, Jun 11 2012 2:45 PM

this week I went back to the turorital and worked on the blocks with dots and lines. these are all the designs we learned that week just combined to give us different patterns. If you don't remember refer back to the tutorial from a couple of weeks ago. these were really simple to do ,  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,864
Points 181,703
Marie replied on Mon, Jun 11 2012 5:40 PM

Barbara, you are doing awesome with this group!  

Today I bought my bobbin case for free motion and also finally found the Machingers in my size.  I did practice last week but don't have a pic of it.  I did the borders on Teddi's quilt and was quite pleased with myself so you're right it just takes practice practice practice.  I'll post pics of both when I find my camera.

Millbury, MA

• Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 199
Points 2,540
MizPat replied on Mon, Jun 11 2012 8:52 PM

I went through my library of Quilt books and found I had five that are devoted to FMQ.  I'm going to start reading in the evenings, when the light is not good for FMQ.  I'll have to see my eye doc, since my glasses seem to be fighting me.  I really hope it's just that my Rx has changed.  Sometimes, I almost see better without them, but I've been wearing glasses for many decades, starting at 8 yrs old.

in Albuquerque

It's Quilting! You're supposed to be having fun!

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020
I practiced last week but didn't have my camera. At the end of the practiced I went faster than normal and ended up with eyelashes. I know that means fiddling with the tension, scared me, so I haven't done any this week. I will.

MelodyP

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 20,261
Points 254,154
Barbara replied on Mon, Jun 11 2012 9:07 PM

Ladies, this is just what it takes is pratice. pratice pratice. I do good on some things and realy lousy on others, so we just have to keep at it. I'm so happy to hear that you all seem to be doing just that. Look foward to pictures when you can. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,974
Points 384,292
Kris replied on Tue, Jun 12 2012 2:03 AM

Barbara:
this week I went back to the turorital and worked on the blocks with dots and lines. these are all the designs we learned that week just combined to give us different patterns. If you don't remember refer back to the tutorial from a couple of weeks ago. these were really simple to do ,  Barbara

Very nice Barbara. I like these. I'm using something similar to the last photo for my MQ3. I only have about three blocks done. I set it aside to work on other things.

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 20,261
Points 254,154
Barbara replied on Tue, Jun 12 2012 8:47 AM

Kris ,that is awesome ,We would love to see a picture of one . I have several quilts I need to get quilted ,but just seem to run out of time. good luck can't wait to see one. barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 617
Points 10,755
Tami Paul replied on Tue, Jun 12 2012 12:16 PM

okay I am only to page 15/75 of the original page but learned a lot. So today I pulled out some large floweral print material and and old white pillow case. I just practiced out lining the flower and leaves. Need to get some more practive and some of the finer pointed areas but I was loving it. And was pretty proud of what I had done and so quickly. I need to learn how to move to a new spot and what to do with the start and finish threads. I wandered over into the little bit of open space there was and played. Need to have a plan there haha. Wel thanks to all those posting their experience and knowledge 

Tami of Walla Walla, Washington

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 20,261
Points 254,154
Barbara replied on Tue, Jun 12 2012 6:29 PM

Tami, glad to have you joining us. Pratice that is how we learn, I am working on posting some tips to help out but Haven't gotten my list complete yet so ahng in there ,I;m working on it . barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 617
Points 10,755
Tami Paul replied on Fri, Jun 15 2012 1:00 PM

thanks Barbara, A list would be helpful for a quick reference. I know reading throught the orginal thread , there is a lot of socializing to get through and so going back looking for something would be a slight nightmare. I guess the other part coming in so late that I struggled with was where to start. I know in the orgianl thread, there was a first week practice e and l but then were do you go from there? FMQ, to me, is rather intimidating so I was extra intimidated by "what do I do"

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 20,261
Points 254,154
Barbara replied on Fri, Jun 15 2012 5:47 PM

Tami, thanks for the heads up , I will post some new beginning pratice this Monday for you and other to start , this is not a problem, I usually try and post new pratice every Monday so please check then and I will do some for all of you . Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 617
Points 10,755
Tami Paul replied on Sat, Jun 16 2012 7:26 AM

will do! also... As the practices progress, maybe suggest different materials to practice on, aka wide open spaces, large print, etc  Maybe even small projects ? These are just suggestions as my mind goes but.. but.. what if. Maybe it will all fall into place as one gets to know what they are doing. haha I dont know. Or maybe that kind of stuff will be in your tips area? Well I will be up bright and early, bushy tailed and all.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,974
Points 384,292
Kris replied on Thu, Jun 21 2012 12:26 AM

Barbara,

this doesn't show up as well as I would like but here's one of my quilted blocks:

and here's the back:

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,974
Points 384,292
Kris replied on Thu, Jun 21 2012 12:31 AM

Barbara,

I used a Frixion pen to mark the design but when I ironed it I could see white marks where the ink is. That bothered me enough to make me stop using them on this project. I switched to using a water soluble stabiliser on top. I ordered more and hope to finish this when it comes. Even though I love it I've had my fill of working on this quilt.

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 20,261
Points 254,154
Barbara replied on Sun, Jul 1 2012 10:04 AM

Kris beautiful job, Your work is wonderful , sorry to hear the pens did not work for you , I guess I have just been lucky so far, but then I have also been using on muslin ,so that may make a difference. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 12Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use