To all the new members and us oldies .

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 247,949
Barbara Posted: Sun, Mar 18 2012 12:20 PM

I want to welcome all of you to FMQ 101 ,LOL  this is a really fun group and we are very laid back here . there is no hurry to do your quilting ,but the more you practice the faster you learn, My best advice is to set up one day for yourself every week and practice for a couple of hours ,once you get started it 's hard to stop. Read your machine manuals to learn how to set up your daring foot or  fm foot as all machine are different. . Take some fabric FQ or any older fabric you are probably never gonna use and make a quilting sandwich out of it , I cut mine into 5 in blocks to work with , Make sure you use a color of thread that you can see well so that you can tell what you are doing. Don't forget to drop or cover your feed dogs, and set your tension as they will change for FMQ .

Next ,I highly recommend Leah Days ,Free Motion Quilting Project ,to help you with your practice. She has very good tutorials and is a great teacher .She has designed hundreds of patterns form the basic forms of quilting and you will love them, I try to pot five new patterns a few for everyone to practice ,but it really helps to watch the tutorials . THE BEST THING IS THEY ARE FREE !!. Mark it in your favorites and refer to it often, You will be amazed how fast you pick it up . I will try and get the web address for you .

All I ask of you is to share your work ,post pictures ,share your ideas, if you run across any tips that can help the rest of us ,share them with us .  We are all beginners here ,me included , Know that your first attempts will be awful ,but that is ok ,next time will be easier and every week you will see an improvement. this is how we learn to do FMQ.

Please feel free to ask any questions ,I will get you an answer if I have to ask others, I want this to be a fun and successful adventure for all of us ... I look forward to seeing how all of you are going to improve and make it happen ..Barbara

www.freemotionquiltingproject   This may come up to goggle search ,just hit the search button and you will get a whole list of Leah Days sites .

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 9
Points 210

Hi everyone. I'm Grace. I would like to know if everyone is using just their home sewing machines to do their FMQing or is there anyone with a home sewing machine mounted on a quilting frame such as a Grace Frame? I want to do the FMQing but have no talent for drawing. I even have trouble doing a decent meandering. I hope someone can help me overcome my fears.

• Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,059
Points 13,715
Carey replied on Sun, Mar 18 2012 5:43 PM

Hi Grace welcome to the group. I use my home sewing machine with no frame. We are basically new to FMQ so we learn together. There are free patterns online that you can just print or practice with. Leah Day's website is really good and somewhere in one of these fmq forums the link has been posted several times. Also if you just can't fmq this way they have books out for those of us who have plenty of time to trace onto tracing paper the designs and then quilt thru the tracing paper and tear away as well. I am praciting both ways currently as much as possible with work and other life events of course.

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 247,949
Barbara replied on Sun, Mar 18 2012 6:04 PM

Grace this is really more for us folks using our home machines, A Lot of us can't afford frames so we have to do it this way, Believe me your first few attempts will be awful ,they are suppose to be ,that is why we practice, It really does get easier each time you do you practice you are learning how to work your fabric and foot ,how to regulate your stitches, and it does take time ,some patterns will be easier to do then others but just hang in there and go for it ,we are not going to say anything bad cause we are all doing this for the first time, some of us just have a better hand at it then others but it does come with practice.. Keep those question coming we love them.. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,409
Points 19,530

Hi Grace,

I am Melissa from northern California. I just took an introduction to free motion quilting class.  The instructor told me if I practice every day for 21 days (3 weeks) for 20 minutes, I will get a light bulb moment.  I didn't believe here so I did exactly that and guess what. I did get one of those moments.  I still need to practice but I get it a little better.  So Barbara is right, just keep practicing and it will get easier and easier.  It sure doesn't seem like it at the beginning but you get there eventually.  Now I really love to do the quilting on my little machine.  I would love to have a bigger one but they are as expensive as a car. I sure couldn't explain that one to my husband. As it is, he thinks I'm a hoarder (fabric). He He, He loves me.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 247,949
Barbara replied on Mon, Mar 19 2012 10:16 AM

Melissa, would you be willing to share some photos of your pratice, it really helps us to see our progress ,I would appericate it alot . don't worry you are not the only gal who has had hubby that does not understand our passion, Once he see you producing quilts maybe he will change his mind , Lets hope anyway . barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 294
Points 3,235
Elizabeth replied on Tue, Mar 20 2012 3:05 PM

I've been an inactive member of this group for some time, and I'm really happy to see it starting up again.  By the time I joined it was pretty much running out of steam so I never got a chance to really participate.  Hope it's not too late for me to jump in here.  I can't guarantee that I'll have practice opportunities every week, though I'm sure going to do my best to make some time for it.  Lord knows I can use the practice .. lol  I've been quilting for over five years now and still haven't progressed too far beyond ditch stitching and simple meandering, and even that sometimes leaves much to be desired.  There have been times when I've considered farming my tops out to a long-arm quilter for finishing, but I really just can't afford to do that, plus I want to be able to do it myself from start to finish.  Finally seeing the completely finished project is part of the fun.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 247,949
Barbara replied on Tue, Mar 20 2012 4:05 PM

Elizabeth, we are glad to have you back, I am trying real hard to make this a good experience for everyone, Pleae join us when you can and post your work, All tips and  suggestions are welcome. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 16
Points 210

Hi, Ladies: I am Elaine, also in northern CA, and I joined this group - very quietly - about two weeks ago. I do use my home machine - a Kenmore that is more than 30 years old. My husband took it apart and greased everything after it sat in the closet for the past 10 years, and it still works better than I could have hoped. Anyway, I just started quilting, have finished 5 small ones all on my own, and am started to play with FMQ. If I ever learn to do it, it will be because of you guys. I have been reading and watching for the past couple of weeks, and just tried FMQ for the first time last night. What a mess! But...I am determined, so as soon as I have accomplished anything that looks the least bit correct, I will post it. I have no tips or suggestions, but wanted you to know that I certainly appreciate what I have read thus far!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 247,949
Barbara replied on Sun, Apr 8 2012 8:54 AM

Elaine, happy to have you with us. Ask any questions you need to ask . Your first attempts at FMQ will not be pretty , but that is very normal, Just keep at it and you will be surprised at how quickly you can improve. It's a skill that requires practice , I try to do mine every Monday and post pictures for all of you . Just do simple patterns at first  to get the feel of what you are doing and how to move your fabric  and how your machine responds , It take a little time to put these all together,  Heck I'm still learning , as I have problems with being smooth . BUT I don't want this to be something you dread , have fun, relax, if you mess up that's okay, WE are not here to criticize,we are here to learn,  Good luck ,keep us posted  and take a deep breath and have fun... Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,059
Points 13,715
Carey replied on Thu, Apr 12 2012 11:26 AM

Sorry haven't been able to do anything was dog sitting for easter week, and now my new client is going to start on Fridays so will be back to almost full time hours.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use