feathering

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 116
Points 2,005
abcquilting@yahoo.com Posted: Wed, Aug 17 2011 11:44 AM

Jeannie

I am having a problem learning the "proper" way to do feathering. Can you have any suggestions on where I can find help?

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,059
Points 13,715
Carey replied on Thu, Aug 18 2011 1:24 PM

You could buy a book thats what I'm going to practice when I get to that point that has the lines and you follow along. Plus I'm sure there are books out there that help you. However, I hope someone else will chime in with help for online ideas.  I know everyones budget is tight these days.  Pretty much what I gathered about feathers is a swirl line with loops going off both sides of the line.

• Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 162
Points 3,675
Laura replied on Thu, Aug 18 2011 11:52 PM

Check out Patsy Thompson  on line, she has some free tutorials on feathers.

http://www.patsythompsondesigns.com/

And there is really no proper way to do them, it's what works for you. If I am doing a spine, I start at the bottom, go up and back down then start my feathers on the left hand side, work my way up to the top come back down the spine, or echo my way down the outside, and start again at the bottom on the right side. Sometimes I don't put a spine in, I just make it as I go.

Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

• Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 162
Points 3,675
Laura replied on Fri, Aug 19 2011 12:00 AM

Another great site is www.daystyledesigns.com. Leah Day has almost 320 different free motion video samples, and she has lots of great info, she shows how to do each design on youtube. And speaking of youtube. there are lots of great tutorials on there for fmq feathers.

Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

• Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,059
Points 13,715
Carey replied on Fri, Aug 19 2011 9:11 AM

I should watch those videos too but my machine is acting up so probably another week. I usually watch videos then go to the machine to practice.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.