Hints on how to make the loops larger without loosing the loopiness

rated by 0 users
This post has 20 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,059
Points 13,715
Carey Posted: Sun, Aug 14 2011 11:40 PM

Anyone have any hints or suggestions on how to make the loops larger without losing the loops themselves.  When I try to make them larger they turn more into circles at times.

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,606
Points 178,433
Marie replied on Mon, Aug 15 2011 9:28 AM

Carey, I'm no expert by any means.  All I know is with practice you'll get a rhythm between your speed and how fast you are moving the fabric.  I'm sure some of our practiced FMQers will have some advice for you.  I looked at your practice pieces and I see what you mean about circles and not e's but keep on practicing and don't give up until you master it, you're in control.  Good luck!

Millbury, MA

• Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 162
Points 3,675
Laura replied on Thu, Aug 18 2011 11:50 PM

Carey, I have found that if I practice first on paper with a pencil and get into the rhythm then it's easier to go to the machine and start practicing. Another thing you can do is draw your design out on your fabric with a light pencil or a fade away pen, then follow that for a bit and then just go on your own once you get into the swing of it.

Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,059
Points 13,715
Carey replied on Fri, Aug 19 2011 9:13 AM

Hmm good suggestions. Thank you Laura.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,270
Points 35,195
Granny M replied on Wed, Aug 31 2011 6:53 PM

I agree with Laura.   I save those pesky 2nd sheets of paper that print from some web sites. You know the ones where there is nothing on it but the codes across the top.  I keep a stack of paper on the kitchen table and practice with pencil with my morning coffee.  (2nd cup, of course)  I also have a note pad and if riding in car, (not driving) have been known to "practice" then.  My friends are use to me, others just think I am weird.

Try slowing down a little as you start into the loop.  When I started I kept trying to go around the loop to fast.

Granny M

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 5
Points 55
Mel replied on Thu, Sep 1 2011 2:32 PM

I mentally imagine a picket fence and pretend I'm making my "e" loops, one in each picket. Just make the fence bigger to get bigger "e" or "l" loops. If I want a slant, the picket fence is an old one and it's leaning. To practice getting good circle loops, I pretend there is a row of tin cans and I'm going around each rim.

You might like to get Pam Clark's Design With Lines stencils. One I use a lot has a big X and the other has lines that look like old-fashioned school paper. Really handy for spacing out designs.

And don't tell anyone (such as my husband) but when I mow the lawn, I'm practicing there, too. So what if it's not nice straight rows! He doesn't have to know why I'm mowing in loops.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,059
Points 13,715
Carey replied on Sat, Sep 3 2011 10:04 PM

Cool you two thanks for the advice will practice :)

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 315
Points 7,375
Georgia replied on Wed, Oct 5 2011 1:20 PM

All free motion quilters should be doodlers.  When you doodle, you are actually exercising what is called brain muscle memory.  Doodle around to get the design you want and then doodle doodle doodle with pen and paper before you put thread to fabric.  Another way to really firm up you brain muscle memory is to keep your arm up off the table as you doodle and move your whole arm as you doodle your design.  Sounds weird and feels strange at first, but you will see a definite improvement in your free motion if you do it regularly.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,606
Points 178,433
Marie replied on Sun, Oct 16 2011 5:49 PM

Georgia:
All free motion quilters should be doodlers.

Thanks Georgia great advice.  I'm going to doodle away and see if my brain muscle memory is still working.  I think we should revive this thread, what say guys?  Let's do it!  

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,657
Points 136,077
Leslie replied on Mon, Oct 17 2011 5:51 AM

Marie, I have been doing a little fmq, on my smaller projects. I decided to just stop practicing and go for it LOL some are a little shaky but I find that I have become more comfortable with it, especially since I stopped using my foot peddle. and started using my start stop button.

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 247,949
Barbara replied on Mon, Oct 17 2011 5:53 AM

Leslie, how do you like using the start /stop button, I have that on my machine as well .Have not tired it.Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 247,949
Barbara replied on Mon, Oct 17 2011 5:54 AM

I agree Marie, I have been doing alot of quilting the last few days , and it would be great to start doing this now that I can..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,657
Points 136,077
Leslie replied on Mon, Oct 17 2011 6:02 AM

Barbara:

Leslie, how do you like using the start /stop button, I have that on my machine as well .Have not tired it.Barbara

Barbara, I find that I have better control, I'm not having to concentrate on what my foot is doing down there, LOL. It scared me at first but I find I like it alot better

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 247,949
Barbara replied on Mon, Oct 17 2011 6:16 AM

Leslie :
I find that I have better control, I'm not having to concentrate on what my foot is doing down there, LOL. It scared me at first but I find I like it alot better
Thanks Leslie , think I'll give it a try.Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,606
Points 178,433
Marie replied on Mon, Oct 17 2011 10:13 AM

Leslie :
and started using my start stop button

Thanks Leslie I'll have to give that a try!

Millbury, MA

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 12Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use