FM Fearless Drop IN Again-Let's get's this board going again!

rated by 0 users
This post has 16 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,771
Points 50,500
mars92 Posted: Sun, May 22 2011 1:09 AM

Hi everyone,

So you thought I dropped out! Ha HA ha.  Not. I have posted a portion of Ms. Cricket's (our black poodle's quilt in the media) which I recently FM.  It is my Welcome back piece to our FM board!

Before I got so sick I was doing our practice on samples of fabric- but that was ok up to a point.  If I did any FM on a quilt it was only a "little bit." Truthfully I think I was too scared to just "let go."  Seriously, I can tell you all. But now that I have conquered this first quilt. I am moving on and will  keep trying.

Recently I got a new sewing machine cabinet-where at last my sewing machine can sit flesh into the cabinet. Big difference for me. also I have tons more room to spread a quilt out in vs. my old extension table. Huge difference. Now I know some of you our saying-I don't have a cabinet -just a table my machine sits on-there are all kinds of work arounds you can do so you get more quilting area.

So now I have this basically baby size quilt to do.  I decide this is IT, I am FM it, I am going for IT.  I start meandering away because what do I have to lose?  Its not going in a quilt show? I relaxed and for once I am not trying to do feathers which are too advanced for me at this point.

What did I learn

YOU MUST warm up BEFORE you start to FM on a QUILT for at least 20 min. , not 5 min. at least 20 min. so you get in the rhythm.  Really.  I just did a few min. at few and found out the hard way.

Start to FM on a baby size quilt and GO for IT.

Stick with one FM Pattern and do that same pattern over the body of the quilt and you will master it.

Start in the center of the quilt at the beginning when FM

Do Not be in a hurry

Have a full bobbin when you start.

RELAX

Quilting  big letters is harder than quilting smaller letters!

Perhaps this will help someone else, I hope so.

Keep FM Quilting, We will get there!

• Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 162
Points 3,675
Laura replied on Tue, May 24 2011 10:48 PM

HI Marlene! I do my practice FMQ on sandwiches that I make up from solid cotton fabric. I have also got a large roll of newsprint which I will also roll out onto my cutting table and play with the designs I want to try to do. Then I will practice on the sandwiches before attempting to do the quilt. I have made up a number of baby quilts out of my stash that I donate and I find them easy to practice on. Each time I try a different pattern and I do admit to alot of ripping out! I don't ever start in the middle, I always start in a corner. Then I work my way around in 1/4's and finish up in the same corner. I also have to learn to go slower, and not try to do the quilt in an hour!! I get way out of control that way.  At quilt shows I take close up pictures of quilting ideas that I'd like to try and I am seriously addicted to www.daystyledesigns.com for inpiration. Leah Day has tons of FMQ designs, from beginner to really advanced.

Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,771
Points 50,500
mars92 replied on Wed, May 25 2011 7:33 PM

Laura:
HI Marlene! I do my practice FMQ on sandwiches that I make up from solid cotton fabric. I have also got a large roll of newsprint which I will also roll out onto my cutting table and play with the designs I want to try to do

Hi Laura!

Thanks for your tip on the newsprint! I have been using a child's K tablet but that isn't really big enough. So your tip on newsprint is great.  I have muslin to practice on for sandwiches like you have suggested and Must agree with you the warm-ups are imperative.  I think it is the impatience in me that wants to get to the quilting on my quilts right NOW! I think if someone would slap my hands with a ruler that would be great while FM quilting! HA

Oh, yes Leah Day is such a great site. I haven't been there for awhile though. Thanks for the reminder. YOu are so right about her.  She is fantastic.

Now I have not tried quilting in the corner first. We should ask everyone what they do.

Now if I could just get back to feathers.........

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Thu, May 26 2011 11:45 AM

I could do feathers on my dsm but with the long arm, not so much.  I'll have to relearn that one.  I start an allover pattern in a corner and anything else in the appropriate area. I posted my first longarm quilt in my gallery.  I chose a simple pattern and it had such a good flow that it worked really well for me. 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 162
Points 3,675
Laura replied on Fri, May 27 2011 11:44 PM

Have you ever watched Patty Thompson do feathers? I really like her work and I find her easy to learn from.  So far I've only done feathers on borders, though I did try doing one side of a feather on a sashing, just doing the loops, then stitch in the ditch back to the beginning, it worked pretty well, and having the seam line as my stop line made it seem easier.

Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Tue, May 31 2011 9:11 AM

Love Patsy, learned a lot from her.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 55
Points 1,700
Laurie replied on Sun, Jul 17 2011 10:08 AM

Bump!

Bumping this topic up... everyone's been so quiet lately.  Must be busy with summer activities, enjoying the hot (too humid) weather. :)

I've been busy, still practicing my free motion quilting.  I guess I could post the pictures here, but a quick link is to my blog... http://charmedcreations.blogspot.com/

Hope everyone is well.

Laurie

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Ottawa, ON Canada

• Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,872
Points 181,818
Marie replied on Sun, Jul 17 2011 10:21 AM

Laurie your practice pieces are wonderful!  Looks like I should get back to practicing!  Your quilts are lovely and your snow dyeing is very interesting.  Looks like you are having fun!

Millbury, MA

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 55
Points 1,700
Laurie replied on Mon, Jul 18 2011 10:05 AM

Thanks Marie.

Seriously, following along with Patsy Thompson's dvd's are well worth the effort.

I'm finding as I do each practice sandwich, it's flowing easier.  I'm remembering to stop dead more often to reposition both my hands and the fabric, and I'm aware of the patterns that don't make me feel good or create stress (straight lines, triangles/squares) versus the smoother flowing curve patterns that I find relaxing and almost meditative. :)

Ottawa, ON Canada

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,900
Marilyn B replied on Fri, Jul 22 2011 5:08 PM

I posted pics in the media of my endeavors at my fmq class on tuesday.  I really need to get back to practicing but it is very very hot up here in my sewing attic and we have just started ripping out our kitchen to redo, but I shall get to that right I finish reading our book club book of the month and look through the work for my next course that starts in september.  Ya it is summer and the small patio still needs the last 4 bags of limestone screening.  Ice tea and my book comes first I think LOL.  I love the heat.

Paris, Ontario

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,872
Points 181,818
Marie replied on Fri, Jul 22 2011 6:07 PM

Marilyn please take mine, I don't do well in the heat at all. 

Millbury, MA

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 55
Points 1,700
Laurie replied on Fri, Jul 22 2011 9:09 PM

hehehe  especially when you're rolling on the floor laughing hysterically!

you're generating more heat lady!  LOL

Ottawa, ON Canada

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,275
Points 35,255
Granny M replied on Mon, Jul 25 2011 2:48 PM

Laurie, your FMQ is looking really good,.    I had never heard of snow dying til I saw your blog.   Is it a special dye that is used or someing like Ritz

Granny M

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 55
Points 1,700
Laurie replied on Tue, Aug 2 2011 4:31 PM

Strange, I remember replying to your question Granny but it looks like it never posted.

The snow dyeing does take a special dye... I found several blogs about it (do a search for "snow dyeing").  I ordered mine from Pro Chemical and Dye  (http://www.prochemicalanddye.com).  The one you want to use is Pro MX Fibre Reactive Dyes (for cottons, silk and other plant fibres).  They're fairly cheap and they even have the instructions on their website for snow dyeing...  on the page for Pro MX Fibre Reactive Dyes, click on the "directions" tab.  There's a link for snow dyeing.

Believe it or not, I'm actually looking forward to this coming winter so I can make more! :)

Ottawa, ON Canada

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,275
Points 35,255

Thanks Laura,  not sure I will look forward to winter, but does give me something to do with the snow besides making snow cream.

Granny M

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 12Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.