What FMQ books do you have?

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 441
Points 7,940
Sharon Posted: Tue, Mar 15 2011 11:37 AM

What FMQ books do you have or want to buy? What do you like about them?

Toledo, OH

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,771
Points 50,500
mars92 replied on Fri, Mar 18 2011 11:18 PM

Sharon and everyone,

I am jumping back in slowly- I still have a bunch of dr appt's next week to go to and had one today- but I cannot stand it anymore w/o you all- LOL 

I just ordered and rec'd  Harriet Hargrave's Heirloom Machine Quilting 4th Edition

What do I like about it?

Wow!  I like that Harriet is so Thorough -- She doesn't miss anything from telling you exactly how to set up your work space (PReparing your work space) your chair, sewing machine cabinets-throat plates, lighting etc, sewing machines, accessories etc, etc.

ANd I like how she tells you WHY something isn't good e.g. " Contrary to what you have been told , the smaller the darning foot, the easier it is to train your eye for free-motion quilting."  Basically she says a larger foot has your eye focus on the larger opening--hindering you from looking ahead and preparing you where to stitch next. 

She gives whole section on feathers- which I found GREAT!

I am a huge Harriet fan, I have her Quilter's Academy's Vol I and II books and Vol III is soon to be released on Amazon and I will get that also.

One thing I noticed is she said nylon thread is good for beginners to use (not in the bobbin though) and her favorite one is Sew -Art International Invisible Nylon Thread and a cotton 2 or 3 ply 50 wt in the bobbin.

I would not hesitate to recommend her book. I think they are well worth the money.

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,649
Points 135,957
Leslie replied on Sat, Mar 19 2011 8:58 AM

I have Machine Quilting Made Easy, by Maureen Noble.  It goes into great detail about threads and needles for different fabric types, and it is easy for me to understand, It also has some great samplers to practice.

[Ava, Missouri

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,251
Points 172,988
Marie replied on Sat, Mar 19 2011 11:00 AM

mars92:
I am jumping back in slowly-

Glad to have you back Marlene and hope you are doing much better.  Thanks for the book recommendations.  

Now are you ready for my list of books:

Machine Quilting Made Easy by Maurine Noble                                                Machine Quilting Solutions by Christine Maraccini

Free-Motion Quilting Made Easy by Eva A. Larkin                                             Foolproof Machine Quilting by Mary Mashuta

One Line at a Time by Charlotte Warr Andersen                                                Easy Machine Quilting 12--Jane Townswick, Editor

Quilting Inside the Lines by Pam Clarke                                                               Skillbuilder Companion for Machine Quilters with printed fabric by Renae Allen, a gift from Kris

And last but not least Follow-the-Line Quilting Designs Volume Three by Mary M. Covey which I just skimmed through and discovered how to work the No-Marking Method with tracing paper available from Golden Threads and easily removed after quilting.

I should be a master quilter at this point but like many of you I was afraid to try but now belonging to the group FNMFMQers I'm beginning to get comfortable with it and plan on starting with the last book listed.  I will order the tracing paper and get started.  If an;y of you know of any other paper easily removed after quilting I'd like to hear from you as I'm sure the TP is expensive.

All of the above books are good, I just didn't give them a try but will now.

Thanks to you Sharon, I went on a hunt through my vast library of books and found all of these.  Thank you again, you've been such a help with this group and to me especially.

Kris, I'm still thinking on a special use of the Skill builder Companion fabric, don't want to use it and put it on the shelf.   Maybe make a wall hanging or table runner top or both and put some decorative thread in the bobbin and use the SBF as the backing, what do you think? 

Millbury, MA

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,402
Points 361,162
Kris replied on Sat, Mar 19 2011 4:51 PM

Marie:
Kris, I'm still thinking on a special use of the Skill builder Companion fabric, don't want to use it and put it on the shelf.   Maybe make a wall hanging or table runner top or both and put some decorative thread in the bobbin and use the SBF as the backing, what do you think? 

I like that idea Marie.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 441
Points 7,940
Sharon replied on Sat, Mar 19 2011 10:49 PM

Marie:
Follow-the-Line Quilting Designs Volume Three by Mary M. Covey

Marie,

I have this book but its the first edition printed in 2006. It has lots of different patterns. Mary breaks down the designs into sections marked with a dot, you sew from dot to dot. This makes the designs easier to grasp.

Also, I have a "CD" called "Fast and Free" volume 0.5, by Patsy Thompson Designs. This CD corresponds to the free downable pdf file with her designs arranged by family.  Patsy demonstrates how to sew each design and gives tips on how to sew them and not get stuck in a corner. I would highly recommend this CD to anyone who may be having problems getting started. All of these designs are fairly easy to sew for beginners and look great.

Toledo, OH

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,251
Points 172,988
Marie replied on Sun, Mar 20 2011 10:38 AM

Sharon:
I have this book but its the first edition printed in 2006

Sharon:
I have a "CD" called "Fast and Free" volume 0.5, by Patsy Thompson Designs.

Sharon I discovered so many books on the subject but never got into it because "I was afraid to try" but I will now.

I also have a CD by Patsy Thompson volume 3 which I will watch again soon.  I'm ready to use all of these "tools"  that I have had for a long time thanks to QCA and the group FNMFMQers and it's members.  A BIG THANKS TO ALL!

Millbury, MA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 43,630
Vivian replied on Mon, Mar 21 2011 10:16 AM

I have several of Patsy's DVDs and I love them.  The ideal would be to have a TV in front of your sewing machine and watch, pause, sew,. which I am going to do.  Soon.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 8
Points 260
Lee Sedam replied on Wed, Mar 23 2011 10:09 PM

I have several FMQ books, but I found Kim Brunner's Beginning Machine Quilting DVD most helpful.  I made the same QOV quilt she demonstrates on her dvd following her examples.  I now have a quilt to send to the QOV foundation and a little experience quilting on my Tin Lizzie 18.  I find some of the techniques that I learn on the Tin Lizzie and FMQ on my Bernina 630 w/BSR foot are interchangeable.  Also just finished an Easter table runner that I FMQ the border.  Not perfect, but good enough to be encouraged to try more.  Are people out there using the Golden Threads paper and if so, what are your comments?

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 441
Points 7,940
Sharon replied on Mon, Mar 28 2011 4:34 PM

Lee Sedam:
Are people out there using the Golden Threads paper and if so, what are your comments?

Lee Sedam,

Welcome to QCA and the fmq qroup. I have not used the Golden Threads paper. I have used tissue paper that I traced on then sewed through the paper. I'm unemployed and don't want to spend too much cash. The tissue paper can also be cut and taped to plain printer paper and then print the design. Trim the taped corners off with scissors and remove the printer paper. The tissue paper tears off easily and cleanly.

Toledo, OH

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 8
Points 260
Lee Sedam replied on Tue, Mar 29 2011 3:23 PM

Thanks Sharon!  I am sure many of us are trying to cut corners and expenses.  The tissue paper idea sounds great - does it jam up in the printer when taped to printer papper?

Lee

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,461
Points 137,928
Stephanie replied on Tue, Apr 12 2011 2:09 PM

Hi everyone,

I just noticed a link to a free ebook on FMQ and designs. Of course there's an advertisement to buy QA mag, but you're under no obligation. Here's the link...

http://www.quiltingdaily.com/media/p/11227/showcontent.aspx

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use