Products for marking quilts

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 16
Points 155
Charyl Garman Posted: Wed, Feb 23 2011 3:56 PM

I am new to the group and am in hopes that I can pick up some good tips. I have been a machine quilter for some time but have become frustrated with trying to mark my quilts for maching quilting. I have tried several products such as stencils with pounce pad, various chalks and pencils and sprays and all seem to vanish, loose clarity or don't mark dark enough. It is especially difficult when I move from one color to the other as is true with most of my quilt tops.

So help, what have you found to be successful.

Thanks,

Charyl

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,270
Points 35,195
Granny M replied on Wed, Feb 23 2011 7:51 PM

Charyl, I have had all those things happen as well.   I use either disappearing ink or white pencil and just mark an area at a time. That way I don't  "lose my place" or my temper

Granny M

• Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 16
Points 155

Thanks Granny M, I think being more intentional about marking only a small portion of the quilt at a time, is a possible solution. My other frustration is having the pins in the way. Constantly moving pins is hard on the hands and on the time schedule, but I guess I will just continue to work around the problems untill I get better and find just the right products for me.

Has anyone used the Clover markers that are filled with chalk and have a small wheel on the tip? How are they when working with small circles and curves stencils?

• Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,270
Points 35,195
Granny M replied on Thu, Feb 24 2011 6:15 PM

Have not use the clover markers.  I just take the pins out of the section I am working on.   Like an 8 inch block,  I would take the pins out of one side, do the quilitng, take the pins out of the other side and finish the quilting.  After I have quilted that section there is no need for the pins anymore.  Probably not suppose to do that, but I am self taught and it works for me.

Granny M

• Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 156
Points 3,485
Pat replied on Thu, Feb 24 2011 8:09 PM

Hi, Charyl - I've used the Clover markers and found they worked well. The white didn't disappear from the area I had marked (about 2 foot square) until long after I had quilted it. I used the markers like a tracing paper wheel, and made up my paper "stencils". The wheel went right through the paper and marked the small curves and circles really well.

Good luck with your marking and quilting :)

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 441
Points 7,940
Sharon replied on Sun, Feb 27 2011 9:49 PM

Charyl,

I have been using Water Erasable Fabric Marking Pen, from JoAnn Fabrics.  It is blue and has a fine point that is easy to see and stays until I remove it. You can mark everything at once instead of a section at a time. You should try Quilting Basting Spray to hold your fabric together instead of pins. It is so much easier and wash out.

Toledo, OH

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Mon, Feb 28 2011 9:08 AM

Charyl

I agree with Sharon.  I love the basting spray and don't use pins anymore.  Those pins hurt my hands put them in the quilt and taking them out.   I also agree that they always seemed to be in the way.  The basting spray works great and holds the sandwich together for a very long time if you have to stop quilting for several days and then come back to it.   It does wash out and doesn't leave any residue on the quilt.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use