Introduction

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 85
polley_mcclure@mac.com Posted: Tue, Feb 22 2011 2:04 PM

Hello all!

I've just joined this group.  I am trying to learn FMQ and I like the idea of regular practice.  I gather that the practice routine started last month....How do I get caught up?

I'm recently retired, renewing my long-time interest in quilting now that I have time.

Polley

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 43,630
Vivian replied on Tue, Feb 22 2011 2:41 PM

You might think you need to get on board with the group, I just took the weekend off (four whole days off IN A ROW!!!)  when i got back to work, the computer just about crashed with all the emails from the group.  Make sure you don't have the emails sent to you if you can't monitor the programing.  I am having a hard time getting all the links canceled.  Unless you are a hard core FMQ you will never get caught up.  Im not sure about the old link, it had some great information on it and i can't find it anymore.  One of the other girls will probably know where it is.  Welcome and congratulations on achieving what I am so looking forward to, retirement.

• Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 441
Points 7,940
Sharon replied on Tue, Feb 22 2011 6:09 PM

Vivian,

The old group was closed for a short time but has been reopened. It is under Quiltmaking.

Toledo, OH

• Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 441
Points 7,940
Sharon replied on Tue, Feb 22 2011 6:12 PM

Polley,

Welcome to the group. Don't worry about catching up. Just start out with a small practice sandwich and work on "e's and l's". All of us who have been here since the start are not on the same level. Some have more natural abilities and others like me, have to practice and practice over and over. Have fun!

Toledo, OH

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 43,630
Vivian replied on Tue, Feb 22 2011 6:24 PM

thanks Sharon, I'll give it a look again. 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,265
Points 35,160
Granny M replied on Tue, Feb 22 2011 7:04 PM

polley_mcclure@mac.com:

I'm recently retired, renewing my long-time interest in quilting now that I have time.

Welcome to the group Polley, I am also retired and if I don't watch myself will spend all my time quilting.  Most of us started with doing small  l;s and e's to get the feel for making loops.  Then the more adventureous tried some other things.  As you go through you get a feel for doing the FMQ.  I get easily bored so I decided that since I wanted to use up my small scraps I would make a string quilt and use parts of that quilt for practice.  I did the pencil drawings and the practice sandwiches and then put it on the quilt.  You just have to jump in and start.  do the pencil practice,  and not one sheet and decide you can't do it.  I did 10 to 15 front and back before the practice sandwich. 
The viney hearts I have posted---my first attempts were a mess, I was all over and could not even ID the heart.  But look at the post it gets better with practice. lots of practice   Just don't give up

Granny M

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,123
Points 411,194
gini replied on Tue, Feb 22 2011 10:48 PM

hello polley, welcome

gini in north idaho

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 594
Points 24,165

Vivian :

Im not sure about the old link, it had some great information on it and i can't find it anymore.  One of the other girls will probably know where it is.  Welcome and congratulations on achieving what I am so looking forward to, retirement.

Hi Vivian,

I have added the link to the original discussion thread on the FMN FMQers Group Home Page. You can visit it and read it at any time, you just can't add any new posts to it. And you're smart to turn off your e-mail notifications for the really active groups! All those e-mails can be overwhelming.

Good luck and have fun with this group!

QCA Liz S.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use