Thank you, Kathy G., for hostessing.

~ Roxana

Hot Springs Village, Arkansas

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 163
Points 3,005
Kathy G replied on Thu, Jan 2 2014 9:07 PM

Alright all you swappers...It has finally arrived...the first new swap of 2014!  It is not to be missed.  Here is the important info...Can't wait to get started and have you join me in some swappin' fun!

Sarah's Choice Swap 2014

Here are the details:

1. The block pattern, called Sarah's Choice can be found at http://www.quilterscache.com/S/SarahsChoiceBlock.html. Each block will have a finished size of 12" x 12" and should be made from quilt shop quality fabric. Fabrics may include florals, novelty fabrics, calicos, reproduction prints, and/or batiks. Please follow the guidelines for LQS quality fabric on the Pages section of the Fabric Swaps Group. Blocks will contain three fabrics: (1) and (2) color coordinated fabrics of the participant's choice and (3) a tone-on-tone white. Fabrics do not have to be the same for all blocks but must be from the same color group. This flexibility should allow everyone to use up some of her stashed scraps.

2. The swap will have 16 participants. Sign up will begin immediately and close on February 1.  Anyone who wants to sign up for more than one set is welcome to do so; however, the sets will need to use different fabrics - no duplicates. When participants sign-up, the process will work like this:

• Participants will need to friend me with their name, physical address, phone number, and email address AND color selections (1st and 2nd choice for 2 coordinating colors, first come, first served)
  • I will respond directly to those who sign-up and I will post them on the list
  • I will respond in the order received to give you my same contact information.

3. Each participant will make 16 blocks. Please measure carefully and square your blocks to 12-1/2". I suggest making a sample block to be sure that all measurements work out as expected. It will save you lots of heartache and frustration.

4. Blocks are due to be mailed no later than March 19. Any packages of blocks that are mailed after March 19 will be returned. Please PM me your tracking number the day you mail. I know this sounds harsh but it is not appropriate to make others wait indefinitely for their blocks.

5. Please read through all the instructions and the pages of the Fabric Swap Group (before you commit to the swap). Remember that all the other members of the swap are counting on you.

6. When you ship your blocks, place each block in a separate plastic bag with your name and city/state on the outside. Return address labels work great. It lets everyone know who did what and where the blocks originated. All 16 blocks should fit easily in a legal flat rate envelope from the post office.

7. Please include with your blocks a return, postage-paid, self-addressed legal flat rate envelope. You may order these from the USPS online. I suggest that you order them early on in the swap so that you will have them when you complete your blocks.

8. Once I have all the blocks, I will sort them and ship them back as soon as possible.  I will also take a picture of all blocks that will be available when requested by participants via PM or email.   This will allow everyone to verify that they received the correct number and variety of blocks.

9. Colors will be assigned on a first come first serve basis.  When posting your color choice, please state your first and second color combinations. If both of your choices are taken, I will contact you directly BEFORE signing up others.    Example:

• o 1st choices-pinks and light green
  • o 2nd choices-lavender and light blue

That's it for the fine print. Please do not hesitate to ask me questions.

If you hesitate, you may be forced to learn the hard way...quilting is cheaper than therapy!

Kathy G

• Post Points: 125
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 62
Points 785

I would like to try - -- I promise to carefully read and sew to the best of my ability - - - see PM

Thanks

Gail 

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 52
Points 415
FRANNYE replied on Thu, Jan 2 2014 11:45 PM

KATHY g.

I WOULD LIKE TO JOIN IN THE FUN OF MAKING THE 1ST AND 2ND BOTH GROUPS.

THANK YOU

FRANNYE

• Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 163
Points 3,005
Kathy G replied on Fri, Jan 3 2014 12:33 AM

Here are the participants and color choices:

1. Kathy set one-red/green-RECEIVED

2. Gail-Lavender/light blue

3. Kathy set 2-orange/turquois-RECEIVED

4. Valerie-blue/green--RECEIVED

5. Karyn  Set 1- Gray/turquoise-aqua--RECEIVED

6. Karyn Set 2-Gray/plum or lavender/lilac--RECEIVED

7. Michelle-blue/red--RECEIVED

8. Susie-purple/black-RECEIVED

9. Tami-pink/brown-RECEIVED

10. Debbie-pink/yellow-RECEIVED

11. Phyllis-brown/blue-RECEIVED

12. Candis-purple/lime green-RECEIVED

13. Candis-set 2-gold/green-RECEIVED

14. Liz-red/black-RECEIVED

Remember to pm your contact information and 2 color choices for the block.  There are 3 fabrics-2 that each participant selects and the white on white.

Keep on stitchin'

Kathy

• Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,664
Points 25,235
Susie replied on Fri, Jan 3 2014 7:31 AM

Count me in!

I truly have no preference on the colors.  although, thinking about my stash, I would love to do red/blue.  2nd choice would be purple/black.

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 92
Points 1,570

sent friend request  and information in private message.

Would be glad to join group.  Thanks

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,807
Points 29,455
Debbie replied on Sat, Jan 4 2014 7:57 PM

Like the block choice, a variation of one I did for blue/white swap.  I'm in - first choice is pink/yellow and second is red/black.

Kathy - I hope you have my info from the last swap.  if not, let me know. 

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 48
Points 1,435
Valerie replied on Tue, Jan 7 2014 10:47 PM

Count me in. Looks like fun. I can't wait to start

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 163
Points 3,005
Kathy G replied on Wed, Jan 8 2014 1:20 PM

I had a question regarding the color choices....so here is the answer. I hope it helps to clarify the instructions.  I will try to post a pic of a completed block so that all can see what the finished product will look like.

When you look at the pattern, there are three fabrics.  The swap involves using all three colors in each block...so if you chose yellow and orange, each block would include orange, yellow, and the white on white.  Not all blocks need the same fabric but they do require the same color combination

Happy stitching!

Kathy G

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 163
Points 3,005
Kathy G replied on Wed, Jan 8 2014 10:51 PM

Okay Ladies....Here is the next question:

If participants are selecting colors in order to avoid duplicates, then why is there more than one person with pink, yellow, lavender, etc?  What keeps people from having duplicate fabrics?

Fair question.  Here's the short answer: The colors being selected have an endless range of variation.  Rather than asking everyone to specify honey verses yellow verses gold, I felt that having 2-3 participants with each color (but not the same color combinaton) would still provide the desired scrappy look.

Please let me know your thoughts.  If any of you are concerned, I will be happy to make a variety of blocks from my stash to insure that there is a wider variety of colors included.

Thanks for your patience...and excitement.  I can't wait to get started!

Kathy G.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,790
Points 45,520
Roxana replied on Wed, Jan 8 2014 11:20 PM

Kathy G:

Okay Ladies...

Please let me know your thoughts.  If any of you are concerned, I will be happy to make a variety of blocks from my stash to insure that there is a wider variety of colors included.

Thanks for your patience...and excitement.  I can't wait to get started!

Kathy G.

Kathy, as moderator of the swap groups, I have to ask that you not make a variety of blocks from your stash to insure there is a wider variety of colors included. Participants signed up on a first come, first served, basis on the colors. If changes are to be made in the colors, the participants should be making the changes.

Kathy G:

Here are the details:

1. The block pattern, called Sarah's Choice can be found at http://www.quilterscache.com/S/SarahsChoiceBlock.html. Each block will have a finished size of 12" x 12" and should be made from quilt shop quality fabric. Fabrics may include florals, novelty fabrics, calicos, reproduction prints, and/or batiks. Please follow the guidelines for LQS quality fabric on the Pages section of the Fabric Swaps Group. Blocks will contain three fabrics: (1) and (2) color coordinated fabrics of the participant's choice and (3) a tone-on-tone white. Fabrics do not have to be the same for all blocks but must be from the same color group. This flexibility should allow everyone to use up some of her stashed scraps.

2. The swap will have 16 participants. Sign up will begin immediately and close on February 1.  Anyone who wants to sign up for more than one set is welcome to do so; however, the sets will need to use different fabrics - no duplicates. When participants sign-up, the process will work like this:

• Participants will need to friend me with their name, physical address, phone number, and email address AND color selections (1st and 2nd choice for 2 coordinating colors, first come, first served)
  • I will respond directly to those who sign-up and I will post them on the list
  • I will respond in the order received to give you my same contact information.

9. Colors will be assigned on a first come first serve basis.  When posting your color choice, please state your first and second color combinations. If both of your choices are taken, I will contact you directly BEFORE signing up others.    Example:

• o 1st choices-pinks and light green
  • o 2nd choices-lavender and light blue

That's it for the fine print. Please do not hesitate to ask me questions.

If you hesitate, you may be forced to learn the hard way...quilting is cheaper than therapy!

Kathy G

SWAP only what participants send in and they should all, including you, stay true to their color way selection. Let's keep the swaps swaps.

Please PM me if any of you do not understand what I am saying.

Thanks,

Hot Springs Village, Arkansas

• Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,664
Points 25,235
Susie replied on Thu, Jan 9 2014 8:50 AM

Kathy--while I understand trying to make sure the everyone gets a good variety of color choices, I don't think  that you, as hostess, should have to make any extras.  It's a swap between friends, and with most of the block swaps, if someone wants other color combinations once they get their batch back, they can make more on their own.

I know that I will have to do that with the color box swap I did last year.  I need more than 12 blocks, so I will fill in with colors that are different from what was done in the swap.

Just trying to help you keep your sanity!  Swaps are supposed to be fun and enjoyable, but if you end up having to do tons of extra work as the hostess, you will get to a point where they aren't fun any longer and you will feel like you are just giving out blocks without getting anything in return.

Just my $0.02...

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,807
Points 29,455
Debbie replied on Thu, Jan 9 2014 8:56 AM

I got all my pieces cut out the other night and then decided the next nite to make a test block.  I had just enough of the yellow to get all the pieces cut.  well, when I got the block all finished and was comparing it to the picture, it didn't seem right.  Kathy's comment about the white being in each section is so true - I didn't cut out enough of the white so unfortunately, I'll have to go buy WOW.  luckily, my LQS is having a 25% off entire purchase sale!  how's that for good timing.   

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,807
Points 29,455
Debbie replied on Thu, Jan 9 2014 9:09 AM

Susie:

Just trying to help you keep your sanity!  Swaps are supposed to be fun and enjoyable, but if you end up having to do tons of extra work as the hostess, you will get to a point where they aren't fun any longer and you will feel like you are just giving out blocks without getting anything in return.

Just my $0.02...

Susie:
Kathy--while I understand trying to make sure the everyone gets a good variety of color choices, I don't think  that you, as hostess, should have to make any extras.  It's a swap between friends, and with most of the block swaps, if someone wants other color combinations once they get their batch back, they can make more on their own.

Yes, Kathy, I agree with Susie and as a hostess also that might set a precedent that others would feel they had to do and that's not good, either.  swaps should be fun and if you want more than what you got in the swap, then it's up to you, for your quilt to make more. 

Debbie (dear1953)  

Page 1 of 7 (103 items) 12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2017 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.