Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,736
Points 30,115
Roxana replied on Sun, Aug 11 2013 7:31 PM

Kathy,

Here's a better explanation from Nana:

Nana replied on Tue, Dec 27 2011 2:04 AM

When someone clicks on reply in your post it adds 15 points to your total points in that post.   Each time someone clicks on that post it adds 15 more points.

If you notice under your avatar it gives you a running total of your points.   Nobody has ever told us what the points were for....some mentioned a prize for the highest points.....maybe a longarm.....ROFLOL.   So far none of us have reached a high enough level to get the longarm.........

• Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 160
Points 2,960
Kathy G replied on Fri, Aug 30 2013 6:28 PM

Just wanted to extend an invitation to all our new members (an of course all former and current swappers) to sign up for the red and white happy heart block swap.

It is going to be a hoot and it will give everyone a chance to look forward to life after the craziness if the holidays...remember, only 167 days until Valentine's day!

Kathy G

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,736
Points 30,115
Roxana replied on Sun, Sep 15 2013 12:18 PM

Everyone, please check out the new Page added to the Pages section of our Swap Group. Having now served as a hostess, I learned a few things on my trip to the Post Office that I thought I would share with everyone. The important thing is to order your PREpaid envelopes EARLY in the swap so that you will have them when you need them.

Mailing Swaps

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 415
Points 5,370
Kathy replied on Sun, Sep 15 2013 3:04 PM

Thanks for the info.  While I am not in this particular swamp, I am in other things and need the envelopes, so I went at ordered them as you suggested.  Thanks again!

Kathy

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,450
Points 24,115
Debbie replied on Tue, Sep 17 2013 10:39 PM

I want to bring up something about these swaps and just a lesson I've learned the hard way.  I was involved recently in 3 swaps and am currently in 3 plus have done 3-4 others in this last year alone.  In one of the swaps, my package arrived open and I only got 3 of the the swap sets instead of the 12 the swap was for.  The package was stamped by USPS "Received Unsealed".   I was so disappointed because I didn't get what I looked forward to and you all were raving about!  

I am trying to file a claim for the insurance but that not sure I will be successful since it wasn' sealed.  I guess I could argue that their tape should have held.  They do advertise if it fits it ships.  

What I want to impress upon everyone is how important it is to tape the outside of the package, that little bit of tape that's inside the flap is not sufficient enough to hold the amount of stuff we sent out.  I make it a point to use my packing tape and seal that baby up real good, especially around the flap area.  

Please let's not have any more disappointments for anyone else and thank you for allowing me to vent!

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

• Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 56
Points 715

Thx - this is just a good reminder to make sure that YOU think that the

pkg is sealed - make DOUBLY sure - - - Thx 

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,736
Points 30,115
Roxana replied on Wed, Sep 18 2013 3:16 AM

Debbie:

What I want to impress upon everyone is how important it is to tape the outside of the package, that little bit of tape that's inside the flap is not sufficient enough to hold the amount of stuff we sent out.  I make it a point to use my packing tape and seal that baby up real good, especially around the flap area.  

Please let's not have any more disappointments for anyone else and thank you for allowing me to vent!

Debbie, I'm so sorry that this happened to you. We ALL, swappers and hostesses alike, should be taping with packaging tape as well as the postal seal. (I will warn you not to tape OVER the stamp though since that will invalidate it) but you can tape everywhere else that you think the envelope could break or become unsealed. NO ENVELOPE should be mailed without EXTRA tape on it. Let this be a lesson for ALL of us.

Thanks for bringing it to the attention of the group. If anyone else has a similar experience, please let me know. ... I've started using the bubble mailers since I think their seal is more secure but I still put more tape on it. I even tape envelopes I send in the mail. I've gotten too many of them through the mail that weren't taped and were open.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,736
Points 30,115
Roxana replied on Wed, Sep 18 2013 3:36 AM

Everyone involved in swaps should take a moment to read the NEW page on Mailing Swaps that has been added to the pages section of our group. If you've already read it, please do so again as it has been edited. Please let me know if you find something missing that needs to be included.

Mailing Swaps

Thank you.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 382
Points 6,560
Phyllis replied on Wed, Sep 18 2013 7:55 AM

Let me add to the discussion on open packages.  24 fat quarters will not fit into a regular 8x11 postal flat envelope comfortably at all.  The opened package was from my swap I am sorry to say.  When I took the envelopes to the post office they taped with regular packing tape all of the flat envelopes but obviously it wasn't enough. Actually, I find it a little hard to believe that any of those packages could break open without a little help.  We really taped them up.   I am so sorry this happened Debbie.  I also responded to your PM to me.

Bonner Springs, Kansas

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 382
Points 6,560
Phyllis replied on Wed, Sep 18 2013 7:59 AM

Roxanna, I advise against flat rate envelopes for fat quarter swaps.  Those who sent the large tyvek type envelopes were the best.  the fabric fit well.  When I received everyone's fats in the flat rate envelopes, a lot  of the corners on the sealed edge were coming open.  I'm not trying to make excuses, just trying to help all get their fat quarters and not have to face the disappointment that Debbie has faced.

Bonner Springs, Kansas

• Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,736
Points 30,115
Roxana replied on Wed, Sep 18 2013 8:19 AM

Can you get the large tyvek envelopes with a prepaid forever rate? I don't think you can. The bible mailers will hold it. You can get those with prepaid flat rate. When I mailed the HSTs back, my pitman was unhappy about the stamps already added.

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,425
Points 40,390
Mimi replied on Wed, Sep 18 2013 9:10 PM

Roxana:
my pitman was unhappy about the stamps already added.

My postal worker was upset about the tape that people put on the envelopes. She made a point to tell me that the envelopes were made for paper documents not anything else.   I don't think they like us very much. I've gotten packages from on line sites that have been ripped apart and repackaged by the USPS.  Of course there were missing and damaged goods.   But still and all  I am awfully sorry that Debbie didn't get her swap fabrics.  I'd be glad to send her some from my stash.

• Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,450
Points 24,115
Debbie replied on Wed, Sep 18 2013 10:38 PM

Phyllis:
Those who sent the large tyvek type envelopes were the best.  the fabric fit well.

OK, senior moment here - what's large tyvek type envelopes?  I don't remember seeing these kinds.

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,450
Points 24,115
Debbie replied on Wed, Sep 18 2013 10:47 PM

Mimi:
But still and all  I am awfully sorry that Debbie didn't get her swap fabrics.  I'd be glad to send her some from my stash.

Gals, I am already getting fabric from 2 people so please, no more!  I appreciate so much everyone's offers and this s why I love QCA.  fellow quilters coming to help others who they have never met in person.  That's what amazed some of my coworkers during the last RR, that strangers trusted me with their quilt.  

Ya'll are the best!!  we need more quilters in this world, put enough of us all around the world, make us all friends on QCA and we could generate world peace in less than 6 months, end all the wars and conflicts.  Quilters Unite!!

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,450
Points 24,115
Debbie replied on Wed, Sep 18 2013 10:49 PM

Roxana:
The bible mailers will hold it.

what are bible mailers?  boy, have I stepped into another dimensions...

Debbie (dear1953)  

• Post Points: 20
Page 2 of 3 (32 items) Prev123Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use