2nd HST GROUP : HOSTESS ROXANA

rated by 0 users
This post has 86 Replies | 16 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,004
Points 12,890

Great Try on that one Barbara..

yes what a success Roxana!. Great ideas and great participants. It is what the group is all about, sharing in ones ideas and making that wish come true.

Yippie-yi-yo-ki-yay: definition for those of y’all Northerners.. LMAO

An exclamation of joy popular with cowboys in the the mid 19th century US West.
song made popular;
I’m An Old Cowhand  Artist: Frank Sinatra

OK I ‘didn’t even know that trivia

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Fri, Jun 21 2013 4:20 PM

Okay, here's a question about going scrappy that I will ask of both groups.  We are packaging 15 HSTs for each participant.  I have five fabric combos (per group) that I was considering using, however that would mean 3 HSTs of each combo per each participant, 5 combos per bag.  Is three a bad number?  Are there any quilters who need at least 4 or 6 of each HST combo in order to complete their pattern's design?  It won't matter to me if I'm using the "Tickled Pink" pattern we've been talking about, but I thought I should ask if it matters to anyone else.  I don't have to use all 5 combos.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,046
Points 35,455
Roxana replied on Fri, Jun 21 2013 4:47 PM

MNnancy:

Okay, here's a question about going scrappy that I will ask of both quilts.  We are packaging 15 HSTs for each participant.  I have five fabric combos (per group) that I was considering using, however that would mean 3 HSTs of each combo per each participant, 5 combos per bag.  Is three a bad number?  Are there any quilters who need at least 4 or 6 of each HST combo in order to complete their pattern's design?  It won't matter to me if I'm using the "Tickled Pink" pattern we've been talking about, but I thought I should ask if it matters to anyone else.  I don't have to use all 5 (10) combos.

Good question, Nancy! I think I have heard that some would like at least 2 groups of four, though they've only mentioned it to me through PM, so that they can make pinwheels.  Let's see what the group says. I'm happy with whatever because I found a cute pinwheel design that uses scrappy pinwheels.

I'm not certain what I'm going to do with my 480 but I'm leaning toward the "Tickled Pink" quilt though. Mine are all scrappy (though I do have different fabrics for each separate group) and I was just going to divide them out into 15 baggies but some of you may prefer to have more than 2 or 3 of one square. We can't make everyone happy but we would like a group opinion.

SO, saying all that, I want to know what people in both groups think about the idea Nancy has. Please PM me your preference and I'll post a summary of what the majority say.  If you want at least one group of four, now's the time to mention it. 

• Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 79
Points 1,185
swedeami replied on Fri, Jun 21 2013 5:56 PM

it doesn't matter to me.  

since it's scrappy, let it be scrappy...........from karen

• Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,412
Points 19,155

Roxana:
I think I have heard that some would like at least 2 groups of four, though they've only mentioned it to me through PM, so that they can make pinwheels.  Let's see what the group says. I'm happy with whatever because I found a cute pinwheel design that uses scrappy pinwheels.

Oh Roxana,

I'm such a dense dork. I misread the original HST sheet. Yes I did print it out and read it several times. I thought I knew exactly what to do. Now after reading it again and reading your post, I'm not sure what I'm doing. Let me see if I have this straight. I bought two different contrasting fabric. I thought at first that we were making all the square the same fabric, but I guess not. Are all the 15 squares supposed to be different? Are we making several different fabrics. I'M SO CONFUSED! I sure hope I'm not the only one. Maybe I should have put this in PM but I'm hope someone else will read your answer and understand a little bit better. If I'm the only one though. OK I'm slow. So sorry I'm so dense.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,046
Points 35,455
Roxana replied on Fri, Jun 21 2013 9:30 PM

Melissa, you've asked a good question. You can make all 240 out of just two contrasting fabrics. Some people wanted to use up more of their stash so they are making their HSTs out of several different fabrics with the stipulation that they be contrasting fabrics. Does that help answer your question? If not, please PM or email me.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Fri, Jun 21 2013 9:48 PM

Melissa Halpain:
I thought at first that we were making all the square the same fabric, but I guess not.

I do think that was the original intention, and as Roxana says, it is perfectly fine.  It's just that some brought up the idea of making it scrappier, and then a couple of pictures of scrappy HST quilts appeared, and now some of us (me) are going scrap crazy.  I'm rethinking...  since several quilters will be sending all 15 HSTs in one fabric pairing, I might scale down my scrappiness and only send four pairings so each person gets four matching HSTs from me for pinwheels or the like. 

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,412
Points 19,155

Roxana - Thank you so much for your quick answer. I'm glad I'm doing it the right way. Does it really  matter which way we do it. I think I could find more fabric in my stash of I need to do more.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,046
Points 35,455
Roxana replied on Fri, Jun 21 2013 10:15 PM

Melissa Halpain:

Roxana - Thank you so much for your quick answer. I'm glad I'm doing it the right way. Does it really  matter which way we do it. I think I could find more fabric in my stash of I need to do more.

No, it doesn't really matter which way you do it as long as you send 16 baggies that each include 15 HSTs that are squared up as 3" squares. If you have good quality fabrics in your stash, as many of us do, and they are fall colors, you can do that as well. It's all up to you as an individual. All the same two contrasting colors is fine. Just whatever you want to do.

What we are trying to find out from everyone though is if they want a particular number from each person that are alike or do they care if they are scrappy. I'll let everyone know the tally when I hear from everyone. You are sending 15 squares that are alike (and you aren't the only one who is doing that) but since you now know that others are sending several different fall HSTs in one bag, you should voice an opinion as to which you want to receive. Send that to me by PM or email.

Again, you are fine with what you are doing as well as others are fine if they are using different fall color fabrics that follow the guidelines. Hope this helps!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 20,080
Points 251,824
Barbara replied on Sat, Jun 22 2013 10:58 PM

Same Here Y'all "KISS"  this is suppose to be fun.  not complicated or hard,  Just make your HST
 with the two fabric contrast  like suggested or 4 depending on if you are dong two groups . There will be enough fabric form all of us to be very scrappy if you make this Tickled pink Quilt. but that to is a choice. you don't have to make it..  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,412
Points 19,155

Hi Roxana,

I sent you a PM this morning. Again, thank you so much for hosting these swap. I am loving it.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,046
Points 35,455
Roxana replied on Mon, Jun 24 2013 10:32 AM

I know it's no fun when rules change in the middle of a game, but things do tend to become clearer in hindsight. Before I suggest this optional change, let's just say that those of you who have purchased two fabrics and are busy making 240 HSTs, or 15 for each participant, please stick to that plan! That was how this swap was originally laid out.

New Idea:
Now here's the hindsight part: With some quilters doing pinwheels, I really should have planned to make a total number of HSTs divisible by four, like sixteen. The math would look like: 2 fabrics = 16 HSTs x 16 participants = 256 HSTs, and 4 fabrics = 8 + 8 HSTs, and 8 fabrics = 4+4+4+4 HSTs. If you are doing scrap HSTs (like I am), just make certain that you have 4 groups of 4 in your 16 for each baggie (i.e. not all my baggies will look the same). (If you are in both groups, you'd do the same thing but your total would be 512 with different fabrics for each group.)

IF
 you are flexible to a small change, please consider increasing your count to 16 HSTs for each participant, and make sure you keep the look-a-likes in multiples of 4 for the benefit of anyone doing pinwheels.  

Again, no pressure if your plan is already set. It's very important to me that you NOT buy more fabric than you already bought. Even doing four sets (or 3 sets plus 3) will still yield enough scrappy layouts for those not doing pinwheels. 

As Barbara said in her post, "Keep it simple. This is supposed to be fun, not complicated or hard." I'm having a blast! Hope you are too!

As always, please PM me if you have a particular question.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,608
Points 24,590
Susie replied on Mon, Jun 24 2013 10:58 AM

I'm good with the change.  But oh, darn...I bought a FQ pack at the retreat, and I may not be able to get full pinwheels out of it...guess that means I have to purchase fabric and use my FQ pack for something else.  Darn....oh, darn...  LOL!  I'm good with mixing things up, in any way.  I'm looking forward to this!

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,046
Points 35,455
Roxana replied on Mon, Jun 24 2013 11:20 AM

Susie:

I'm good with the change.  But oh, darn...I bought a FQ pack at the retreat, and I may not be able to get full pinwheels out of it...guess that means I have to purchase fabric and use my FQ pack for something else.  Darn....oh, darn...  LOL!  I'm good with mixing things up, in any way.  I'm looking forward to this!

I bet you can still get it out of the FQ pack, depending on how many FQs were in the pack. Now if you are ITCHING to go shopping, that's another thing! LOL!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 6
Points 90
Patty replied on Wed, Jun 26 2013 3:53 PM

If we use Triangulations, or similar patterns, do we tear the paper away before sending them to you?

San Jose, CA

Wrap yourself up in memories!

Page 5 of 6 (87 items) «Prev23456Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use