2nd HST GROUP : HOSTESS ROXANA

rated by 0 users
This post has 86 Replies | 16 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara Posted: Thu, Jun 6 2013 11:03 AM

Due to popular demand there will be a second group opened for this swap , please do not sign up until hostess has a chance to write out the instructions . Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,795
Points 31,070
Roxana replied on Thu, Jun 6 2013 12:30 PM

Fall Fabric 2nd HST Swap:  You may participate in both HST swaps if you want to do so. (That would mean 480 total HSTs! I'm game!)

I'm hosting a second Half Square Triangle (HST) swap with a fall theme. I don't know about you but my summer calendar is filling up quickly and fall will be here in no time. Won't it be wonderful to start the fall with a project using a variety of half square triangle units in the fall colors?

Everyone will be making 2-1/2" finished HST units (3" squared units).

We have room for 16 participants.

Signing up for this swap is a commitment, so please check the dates for anything you may be doing the week of mailing your package. After you have read the requirements for this swap and the information in the pages section of the Swap Group, please Private Message me with your real name, phone number, and both email and physical addresses. I will return my information to you by PM also.

Details:
Each participant will make 240 finished 2-1/2" HST units, measuring 3" squared.

The squares will each be two contrasting colors with a light color and a medium to dark color. All colors should be representative of the fall colors but do not have to be the same fabrics. A scrappy look is ok as long as the two colors contrast.

You can choose any method you want to make your HST's as long as you have (240) 2-1/2" finished HST's (3" squares) and use scant 1/4" seams. The fabric requirement will depend on what method you prefer for making your HST's, but approximately 1-1/4 yard of each color will do. All fabric must be quality, quilting fabric as specified on the pages of the Swap Group and should be tonal, mottled, stripes, patterns, or prints. Only one of your fabrics may be a solid if you want but it's not required. No batiks. Before you go shopping, you need to figure out how much material you need to get the (240) 2-1/2" finished HST's using your chosen method.

If you are new to Half Square Triangles, two resources you may check out are the Easy Half Square Tutorial  bqPx2yuppaM (starting with a 6-3/4" square) or a downloadable PDF file of 12 HST's per page from Quilting and Whatnot.([View:http://www.quiltingandwhatnot.ca/Half-Square-Triangle.html:550:0]  Again, you may make your HST's using any method (paper tools, rulers, etc.) you prefer as long as your finished, pressed squares measure 3".

Please press and trim your HST units and double check to make certain they all squared up to 3" squares before putting them in the bags. Place 15 squares in a sandwich bag and mail your 16 sandwich bags to me.

The swap will remain open until one of the following happens:
(A) We have 16 participants (15 plus me) OR
(B) August 21

If we do not have 16 participants by August 21, participants can choose to do a second set, or we can just go with the number that we have and increase the number each person will receive so that each participant receives a variety of 240 finished squares.

All blocks will be mailed to me so that I receive them by September 4. You may mail them to me sooner if you have them completed. Once I have all the bagged units, I will sort them out and mail them back to you by September 25. Each person must include a return postage paid, self-addressed envelope (preferably using US Priority mail). You can send them in a flat rate envelope and include the same for your return. Please do NOT put any postage stamps on your return envelope. I'll let you know as soon as I can what size flat rate envelope it will take. (You can order a package of 3 pre-paid envelopes from the PO with free shipping. If you need more information about envelopes, go to USPS.)

I hope you are as excited about this swap as I am. Let's have fun!

Participants:

1. Roxana

2. Susie

3. Melissa H

4. Patty

5. Bonnie

6. Nancy

7. Joyce

8. Barbara

9. Rhonnie

10. Swedeami

11. Jacy

12. CarylAnne

13. Gail

14. Diane

15. Rachel

16. Bonita

That completes our Swap with 16 participants! Thanks everyone!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,548
Points 23,405
Susie replied on Thu, Jun 6 2013 12:54 PM

Oh, poop....I was trying so hard to talk myself OUT of this swap.  I thought I was safe when it filled up. 

But now that you have started a second one...count me in.  As my daughter said, once I decided to learn how to do good HSTs, I can't seem to get away from them.  I am looking forward to it, though.  I have a couple patterns that require several, and fall colors will be just the thing for it.

Thanks, Roxana!!  (now....where did I put that pattern???)

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,795
Points 31,070
Roxana replied on Sat, Jun 8 2013 9:44 PM

I've tried twice to post HST patterns from the Internet but QCA is blocking it. If you are interested in them, let me know and I'll figure out another way to get them to you.

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,353
Points 242,112
Thea replied on Sun, Jun 9 2013 9:01 AM

Roxana - if you email me at altheafoster@att.net and let me know the link you are trying to put in maybe I can help you - sometimes you just have to go about it a different way  - sometimes it isn't QCA blocking but the site that you are trying to link to.  I'll help if I can though.

• Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,407
Points 19,560

I'm with Susie. I guess I'll have to do this one. No really, I'm looking forward to it so please include me.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,795
Points 31,070
Roxana replied on Tue, Jun 11 2013 4:49 PM

Melissa Halpain:

I'm with Susie. I guess I'll have to do this one. No really, I'm looking forward to it so please include me.

Welcome Melissa!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,135
Jacy replied on Tue, Jun 11 2013 6:43 PM

I may do this second group too, but I will wait and see if there's a spot that needs to be filled closer to the ending date. 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,795
Points 31,070
Roxana replied on Tue, Jun 11 2013 7:23 PM

Jacy:

I may do this second group too, but I will wait and see if there's a spot that needs to be filled closer to the ending date. 

Sounds great! Keep me posted.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,795
Points 31,070
Roxana replied on Sat, Jun 15 2013 11:00 PM

To quote CarylAnne from the 1st Swap.... Just a reminder to everyone:

Caryl Anne:

Happy straight cuts Seaming and Trimming!! Don’t forget to true up your fabrics first, no since in adding stress over unnecessary bias in your strips or squares before sewing your HST.

I would like to say how important it is for swapers to read the pages of Fabrics Swaps, there is a lot of help to get the best results for fabric truing and cutting, pressing not ironing and other good information. There is an article on fabric choices for quilts & thead count. 

Please read the pages for ALL Fabric Swaps!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 6
Points 90
Patty replied on Sun, Jun 16 2013 9:52 AM

I'm excited to be part of this swap.  I have never participated in anything like this, and t I love HSTs!

San Jose, CA

Wrap yourself up in memories!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,795
Points 31,070
Roxana replied on Sun, Jun 16 2013 10:06 AM

Patty:

I'm excited to be part of this swap.  I have never participated in anything like this, and t I love HSTs!

Patty, the swaps are lots of fun when everyone reads all the introductory instructions as well as the Pages info referred to above. You get fabrics from all over and usually ones you couldn't find in your local quilt store (LQS). Welcome to QCA and the Fabric Swap group!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,795
Points 31,070
Roxana replied on Sun, Jun 16 2013 5:31 PM

Some concern has arisen on the other HST swap about the fabric so I'm pasting (I hope) a reply I placed on the other HST Swap Thread below:

Roxana:

Caryl Anne:

... . You can read the fabric requirements information about thread count and cottons. Thanks have a great day.

Thanks, Caryl Anne, for the reminder that all HST's are to be made with Quilt Shop Quality fabrics for this fabric swap. We all agreed to that when we signed up for this swap. 

I repeat from the introduction: "All fabric must be quality, quilting fabric as specified on the pages of the Swap Group...

I also share this message from our Group Moderator, Barbara:

Barbara:

It has come to my attention that fabric cuts for the swaps are being off some again .I want everyone  especially all the newer members to double check the pages section of this group and read the information  regarding fabric cuts and quality  of fabric . This is very important information and if you feel you cannot abide by these simple requirements then do not join the swaps. Thanks. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact my thru private message .... Barbara

You may also contact me by PM or email or phone if you have a question. It is critical for the integrity of all swaps that you read and understand the Pages referenced in the introduction. The link to these pages has been listed more than once in this thread and is referenced in the quotes above. 
We all want this to be a good swap for everyone. 

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,407
Points 19,560

I printed the requirements out so that I can refer to it often. My memory is about as long as my pinky finger. I tack them up on the wall by my sewing machine. If I don't do it this way I have to keep getting on line to remind myself what I am doing. This way, all I have to do is look at my pages.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,795
Points 31,070
Roxana replied on Sun, Jun 16 2013 5:48 PM

Melissa, that's a great idea!

• Post Points: 35
Page 1 of 6 (87 items) 12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use