PILLOWCASE EXCHANGE: Hostess Karen.

rated by 0 users
This post has 350 Replies | 23 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Thu, May 23 2013 1:41 PM

Karen you can also post this on the main forum but be careful ,you will want to watch and see how long some of the folks have been here and make sure they do commit to the exchange.  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 195
Points 2,500

Thank you Barbara for the information.  If you know someone that will not please give me some insight.

Karen Hollis

Texas Girl

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 557
Points 8,780
Joyce replied on Thu, May 23 2013 7:19 PM

Karen I think I would like to try this one.  I watched the video and it seems pretty easy.  If we have until the end of July then I should have time to make them.  I will try the two sets.  Can you still find Christmas material now?  I have some in my stash but don't think there is enough to do 2 pillow cases.

Thanks,

Joyce

• Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,308
Points 18,340
Erin replied on Fri, May 24 2013 10:52 AM

Karen did you get my PM about joining the 1 Christmas set swap?

Piece, Love, Quilt

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,538
Points 23,145
Susie replied on Fri, May 24 2013 11:14 AM

So...I made a set of these last night.  I was supposed to finish up a table runner for the Scout auction tomorrow night, but with my migraine, I couldn't see well enough to finish up the binding.  So, I grabbed some fabric and decided to give these a shot.  I have to say, they were REALLY easy and stitched up very quickly.

The only thing, though, is that I made them too long.  They will now fit a king-size pillow.  The instructions really ddin't say how much fabric you need for the big part of the case.  But they are very nice when they are finished.

I decided to make my accent strip small--I cut it at 2" so that it was more like a thick piping.  I'm glad I did.  I'm not sure I would have liked it wider for the fabrics I chose.

I am in for the 2 sets, right, Karen?

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,468
Points 116,720

Susie:
The only thing, though, is that I made them too long.  They will now fit a king-size pillow.  The instructions really ddin't say how much fabric you need for the big part of the case

Susie. In the video she gives these dimensions. I had to watch it twice as I missed it the first time.  

Sleeve - WOF x 9"

Body - WOF x 27"

Piping - WOf x 2-1/2"  I agree with you, I like a narrower piping. I've cut mine anywhere from 2: to 1-3/4"..

I'm not going to take part in this exchange but will enjoy seeing what everyone else does. I hope folks post pictures of the pillow cases.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060
Caryl Anne replied on Fri, May 24 2013 12:32 PM

Another bit of information for y’all about sizes. When I make these, I use the 9” band and the 27” body with piping as Judy does a 1.75”-2” strip or a jelly roll if I have a coordinating fabric. I buy one yard of two fabrics for Mother so she can have a bit of color on both pillows, ie   9”= 27”+ = one yard. by the time you do the French seam your case should fit a  standard pillow even a very fluffy one. For Kings I use 34” for the base they fit our pillows well. If you have large pillows measure the length of the pillow around, divide it in half, add 2” for the base, and fill space. This is for self-use; in the exchange, we are using the above measurements. For customizing or gifts if you know the party uses Kings then you can use the larger base, the band stays consistent. I have made dozens of these using this method they always turn out beautiful and we love having extra cases. I have 5 pillows I use on my bed as one is for knees and two stacked for my hands (arthritis and fibromyalgia pains are devastating when you are trying to sleep). Using this formula you can even make some body pillow cases and save a few bucks.. lol Gift your grand with a nice flannel set for cold nights, once you start making these cases you can get addicted and what a stash burner.  This is a new queen pillow extra fluff for (DH) back sleepers it needs a 29-31” base.

• Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 195
Points 2,500

Yes, I did get it Erin.  I am sorry I should have let you known.  I am so glad you are in.  This is going to be so much fun.

Karen Hollis

Texas Girl

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 195
Points 2,500

Yes, you are in for two.  The demo actually does tell you what size each piece is to be.  It is at the very front of the video.  The body piece is 3/4 yd.  I know they are pretty.  I am glad you liked doing them.  They make awesome gifts for teachers, secret pals, weddings, you can name all kinds of goodies.  Life is good!

Karen Hollis

Texas Girl

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 195
Points 2,500

Judy,

Thank you Judy for the post above.  Yes, it is very easy to miss.  Thank you for posting it.  I posted below in yds if that helps also.

So, here is the measurements for the pillowcase in case anyone else misses it.  It is :

1/4 yd for the Sleeve

3/4 yd for the body of the pillow

1/8 yd for the accent piece.

NOW, the accent piece is up to all of you.  Make it like you want, but the body of the pillow needs to be 3/4 yd.    I hope this helps, because like I said, I missed that part of the information the first time I watched it.  Let me know if you have any questions.

Karen Hollis

Texas Girl

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 557
Points 8,780
Joyce replied on Fri, May 24 2013 2:33 PM

Hi Karen, I sent you a PM with my address info. 

Joyce

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 195
Points 2,500

I received it Joyce.  Thank you for joining us.  This is going to be a really fun swap.  I am glad you are joining us.  When you watch the video make sure you hear the instructions on how much material you will need for one pillow case.

Karen Hollis
Texas Girl

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,308
Points 18,340
Erin replied on Fri, May 24 2013 3:27 PM

Karen Hollis:

When you watch the video make sure you hear the instructions on how much material you will need for one pillow case.

Karen Hollis

Texas Girl

Just a thought; Maybe you should post the fabric requirement in the rules/instruction post.   Seems a lot of first time case makers are joining and  If so many people are missing that part of the video there may be some odd sized pillowcases!  

Piece, Love, Quilt

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 195
Points 2,500

Yes, Erin, but it is a good thought.  I will go and edit the original post.  I just hate anyone to mess up and have to re-do anything.  Thank you for the suggestion.  Just didn't think about it.

Karen Hollis

Texas Girl

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 415
Points 5,370
Kathy replied on Fri, May 24 2013 4:32 PM

Wheere is this video?  I have searched all the notes and don't find the video.

Kathy

Page 2 of 24 (351 items) Prev12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use