More Postal Info

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara Posted: Mon, Jan 28 2013 10:52 AM

Attention everyone ,I just found out from my postman ,that anything over 13oz, has to have a postal stamp from the PO on it ,this is a Homeland security law . so make sure your heavier packages are taken to the PO and they have to stamp them . I guess form what he told me most of us are not aware of this rule. He also told me that 13oz will be about the same weight as a can of soda. if you need to compare it. So be careful with the return envelopes ladies and gents.  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,690
Points 120,870

Barbara:

Attention everyone ,I just found out from my postman ,that anything over 13oz, has to have a postal stamp from the PO on it ,this is a Homeland security law . so make sure your heavier packages are taken to the PO and they have to stamp them . I guess form what he told me most of us are not aware of this rule. He also told me that 13oz will be about the same weight as a can of soda. if you need to compare it. So be careful with the return envelopes ladies and gents.  Barbara

Thanks Barbara. <sigh> Just what I LOVE to do, stand in line at the post office. But, with the State block swap I'm hosting, I would have done that anyway when I return the floppies.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,337
Points 20,075

Barbara:

Thanks for this information.  I've seen the signs about "13 oz rule", but never really understood what counts as "mailed at the post office"  

Raleigh, NC

• Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060

Good Morning. Another tid bit on postage; kiosk postage is considered to have the 'postal stamp' as well as those printed from your home computer, however, Flat rate boxes and envelopes are accepted in any home shipping or kiosk without the wait in line. For this reason, I preferred to have my swappers send the funds so that I could do the packages' postage.
My printer was offline so in order to post for the swap I went to the kiosk at 8PM, no line.. lol and we are able to print 5 stamps at one time, you are also able to customize the stamps for flat rate.

case in point, two swappers sent in the self stamped envelopes, one sent a flat rate envelope stamped either by the PO clerk or the kiosk, it sent out fine and was received without problems, the second sent a stamped priority mailing envelope, it was returned to me with the message that any stamped package has to be handed to a postal clerk.
As printed in the January 2010 final report from the USPS updates

I never researched the 13 oz rule, so I did after seeing Barbara’s post.. For those who use home office or stamps dot com, & have not read the ‘rule’ you can read it all here

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use