State Block Swap : Hostess Judy

rated by 0 users
This post has 333 Replies | 21 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara Posted: Tue, Jan 1 2013 9:28 AM

this is for the state block swap hosted by Judy T do not sign up until she has posted her guidelines ,thank you  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,447
Points 116,345

State Block Swap

1.     Sign up begins January 1st and closes when 12 are signed up. (11 plus me)

2.     To get on the list please PM me your name and state. Just click on my picture. Click on “Start Conversation”. The first 11 folks to PM me will be included in the swap.

3.     You will have six months after we have 12 people enrolled to complete your blocks.

4.     If everyone completes their 12 blocks before six months, we’ll complete the swap earlier and I’ll PM everyone my mailing address.

5.     When you mail me your blocks, please include a postage paid return envelope and be sure your name and mailing address are on it.

6.     More than one person from a state may participate.

7.     We all know “things” happen, but please don’t sign up unless you are reasonably certain you will be able to complete the swap.

8.     If someone wants to be on a waiting list and make blocks, just in case someone drops out, that’s fine with me.

Details:

1.     Size:  14-1/2” unfinished.

2.     Theme:  Anything from your state or region. Examples would be a state bird, animal, event, landmark, state flag, event, etc.

3.     You will make 12 blocks. They may all be the same or all different. But all must represent some area of your state and be 14-1/2” square unfinished.

4.     Blocks may be pieced, appliqued, embroidered, paper pieced, whatever is your preference. There are no color restrictions.

5.     Attach something to each block, such as a post-it-note, with an explanation such as “Orca Whale, Washington State”. This is so everyone knows what state the block represents.

I hope this makes sense. I want it to be fun for everyone.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• Post Points: 65
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 654
Points 16,580

I'm in for Texas!  I've been checking every 15 minutes this morning.  Good to see you up!  Happy New Year! 

Brigit-Carol

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 3
Points 45
Merry replied on Tue, Jan 1 2013 11:36 AM

I would like to be part of this swap. I'm in Minnesota, and want to do my state.

Merry

PS. I reread the guidelines, and sent you a message as required.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,447
Points 116,345

Merry:

I would like to be part of this swap. I'm in Minnesota, and want to do my state.

Merry

PS. I reread the guidelines, and sent you a message as required.

I got your PM Merry. You are Number 5!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 654
Points 16,580

I've been looking at patterns that will fit the Texas fabric I have.  I think I've settled on "Star at My Window" on quilterscache.  It's 15" but has a narrow border on two sides I can leave off to reduce the size.  Since the Texas emblem is a star, I wanted to incorporate that into my design but am not up to doing a five-pointed one.  I'm leaving for a few days so will play with the design after I return this weekend.

Brigit-Carol

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,447
Points 116,345

Belfrybat:
I've been looking at patterns that will fit the Texas fabric I have.  I think I've settled on "Star at My Window" on quilterscache. 

Brigit, that would be perfect!  We just need another 7 to sign up and I'm sure we'll get those fairly soon. I am so excited to see what comes out of this swap.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,421
Points 40,355
Mimi replied on Tue, Jan 1 2013 2:04 PM

Hi again,

I've been searching my older publications for PA blocks and have found one that reminds me of an Amish hex sign.  It is from the book State Capitals Quilt Blocks collected from the "Hearth and Home" magazine (published from 1868 to 1933.) So I will be contributing an Amish hex sign block called Harrisburg - my state capital.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020
Hi, I have signed up, too. Although I live in MO. I'm from Kansas so that will be my state. I have saved fabric in several Fabric stores on line so now it's decision time. Mimi, what a cool idea! Can't wait to see it!

MelodyP

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,447
Points 116,345

Here are who has signed up so far:

Remember, even if someone has already signed up from your state you can still take part. It doesn't matter if we have 3 from Washington etc. Everyone's block will be unique.

Judy T (me) - Washington

Melody - Kansas

Brigit- Texas

Mimi - Pennsylvania

Merry  - Minnesota

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,667
Points 65,685
Bonita replied on Tue, Jan 1 2013 5:39 PM

Judy please add me to the swap. Thanks. Florida for me.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,447
Points 116,345

Bonita from Florida is number 6.

Already half way to 12!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 195
Points 2,500

I am in for Texas as well.  Can't wait to see this going. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,447
Points 116,345

Karen Hollis:
I am in for Texas as well.  Can't wait to see this going. 

Thanks Karen.

Only 5 more to go and we can kick this thing off. If you are reluctant to commit, thinking it's a big project, you can make it simple. Just get some material that represents your state and make simple blocks. For example, someone from Oregon could simply use fabric with seashells, lighthouses etc and make star blocks or log cabin blocks.

And, remember you will have six whole months to complete the blocks once we get 12 signed up.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,421
Points 40,355
Mimi replied on Wed, Jan 2 2013 8:39 PM

Just wanted to let everyone know that Kris's mantra for resizing is good as gold.  I have a 12 inch finished block I want to make for our swap.  But we need to make them 14 inches finished.  So take what you want (14) and divide by what you have (12) gives you 1.16666667 or 117%.  In a book by Carol Doak, 50 Fabulous Paper Pieced Stars,  she has a resizing chart to tell you how much to increase or decrease your size block when paper piecing.  What does it say about changing 12 inch blocks to 14 inch blocks?  Resize them at 117%.  Thanks Kris for this important little poem.  Now if I could only remember which way it goes.......LOL

• Post Points: 50
Page 1 of 23 (334 items) 12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use