SAVEY TIP FOR SWAPPERS

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 247,949
Barbara Posted: Tue, Aug 21 2012 11:26 AM

I thought this might be a good thread for us to pass on some of our great tips that  everyone has , This way we have a place to find them ,and they are not spread all over. Hope you all will share yours with us.

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 247,949
Barbara replied on Tue, Aug 21 2012 11:30 AM

I have a great tip to pass on,  

For all of us that cut fabric for the charm pack and layer cakes , it is really great to use a pinking blade, You can get these at most quilt shop or I know Jo-Ann's have them,  Yes they are alittle pricey but one blade will last a long time ,cause you just use it for this . It really helps with the fraying of fabric and leaves a nice cut.  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020
Barbara, This is a good idea, I will be trying this. Thank you

MelodyP

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 703
Points 11,570
Bev replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 4:34 PM

Barbara:

I have a great tip to pass on,  

For all of us that cut fabric for the charm pack and layer cakes , it is really great to use a pinking blade, You can get these at most quilt shop or I know Jo-Ann's have them,  Yes they are alittle pricey but one blade will last a long time ,cause you just use it for this . It really helps with the fraying of fabric and leaves a nice cut.  Barbara

OHi Barbara,

I agree it makes a makes a nice finish for squares and strips when you use a pinking blade.

I bought an Olfa pinking blade that I am not happy with. It could be because I am not using it right because when I start cutting it tends to veer to the right. 

What brand cutter/blade do you use?  Also when you use a pinking blade do you make your cuts a tad larger or just as you would with a normal blade? That sounds like a silly question but it did cross my mind as I was making a practice cut for 5 in squares.

from TN

• Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 403
Points 2,925
Candy replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 5:26 PM

Yes pinking blades work well, only NOT with the templates that have the cutting slots in them which I use with a rotating mat.  I use my strip cutting template to not only make sure my strips are cut straight, but it works well with my rotating mat when I do squares so I don't chance moving my fabric out of alignment.  

Candy in Norborne MO

• Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,580
Points 23,980
Susie replied on Mon, Aug 27 2012 10:51 AM

After helping Barbara sandwich her quilt, she wanted me to post my tip.

I use my 6x24 ruler to help smooth out the top.  Here's how I use it:

We flipped 1/2 the top off to the side, sprayed the batting.  Then, as we started to flip the top back onto the batting, I used the ruler to reach into the middle to smooth as we laid it out.  Then we could smooth the sides out.  The ruler does a marvelous job of catching all the little bumps and grooves.  It helps keep it smooth, without pulling on the bias and stretching the fabric.

Only downside...wash the ruler with dishsoap to get the adhesive spray off it. 

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 247,949
Barbara replied on Mon, Aug 27 2012 6:14 PM

Bev, my blade is also and Olfa, I just cut as I do any of my fabric, Just go alittle slower is about all I can tell you .I have not had any problems with mine veering off to the right.but I do have to cut slower then with a reg blade. And yes I tend to make my cuts just alittle bigger ,they can be trimmed down when bigger.

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 247,949
Barbara replied on Tue, Aug 28 2012 7:36 AM

Susie, I loved how well this worked, I do have to say though you will need two people to really do it this way successfully . but it works great.  but if you use the wall sandwich method it will wrok for that good also . Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060

in my arsenal of blades and cutters I have the wavy, scalloped and the pinking blades from OLFA as well, I use them when cutting fabrics such as homespun plaids. , This works for me, not to send out though as when I cut the homespuns I am cutting bigger so that I can get those tiny damn lines to match up.. LMAO..

I love the wavy one for that fabric as I found the pinking blade makes them fray more, Anyway I see that Moda solid jelly roll is cut with the pinking blade, they measure just 2 1/2" not bigger. using them is good though because if you place that strip over a regular blade cut you can see that you are matching up exactly. so There is another thought on using pinking for your own use, as far as for a swap I'd say no because some people just don't have $25 laying around to buy a set and then a person needs to know how to use them.
It is stated above that their cuts tend to go to the right, I had this problem when I first started using them as  new cutters, what I found is  holding the handle up just a bit places enough pressure next to the ruler to keep that not straight blade in line, BUT BE careful they are super sharp and as you know will do real damage to your fingers.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060

Barbara:

Bev, my blade is also and Olfa, I just cut as I do any of my fabric, Just go alittle slower is about all I can tell you .I have not had any problems with mine veering off to the right.but I do have to cut slower then with a reg blade. And yes I tend to make my cuts just alittle bigger ,they can be trimmed down when bigger.

when you do cut a bit larger remember you will need to trim after each pressing, or you are going to end up off by that tiny bit X's however many units you are putting together.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 247,949
Barbara replied on Mon, Oct 1 2012 6:32 PM

Bev I to use the olfa, and yes I have had it verr to the right You have to be very conscicous of what you are doing When you cut . but I do think works better for charm packs and layer cakes .

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use