rated by 0 users
This post has 966 Replies | 64 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Tue, Sep 3 2013 8:35 PM | Locked

Barbara:
I'm in when this swap is up and running.

Woohoo!  Barbara must be feeling better if she is signing up for swaps again!!!   How are you doing, Barbie Doll?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,559
Points 23,645
Susie replied on Thu, Sep 5 2013 9:25 AM | Locked

I think I"m going to skip the winter swap.  I have so much winter/Christmas fabric due to the snowman exchange last year--and I still haven't put all those blocks together.

I really should put all my swap squares together and get them done....still need to find the time to finish up the color box swap blocks that I need (extra) for my plan.  Whew...I need a vacation for a week just to get caught up!

Chicagoland, Illinois

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Thu, Sep 5 2013 11:00 AM | Locked

I'm not participating in the Christmas swap this year either. I'm finally working on my snowman block and Christmas block swaps from last year. Getting a quilt top together. It will be completed long before Christmas 2013. That in itself is a major accomplishment for me. lol

I'll post a pic when it's completed.

northern colorado

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,831
Points 31,895
Roxana replied on Sun, Sep 8 2013 9:01 AM | Locked

From Caryl Anne:

FYI  10" x 10” squares

Known in our quilt world as layer cakes or stacks, come pre-packaged in 40-42 piece collection and in solids. These cuts are very versatile for those who do quick quilts or crafty projects. Last year’s swap enabled me to make 20+ pot holders, trivet/hot pads & a few candle mats for gifts this year. Jenny Doan from MSQC does several tutorials on you tube utilizing a layer cake collection. I hope you all find a project to use this cut. If you are stuck, or need some inspiration, I have several ideas saved in my favorites, and later I will share the links with y’all.
For now here is the absolutely easiest (I mean you will be running to your stash) project for a pot holder, trivet, hot pad or candle mat I’ve found.
       Materials:
one 10" x10" square and a background fabric or two 10" x 10” squares
(a base fabric or a scrap of good muslin is fine or two pretty fabrics for a reversible item)
100% cotton batting,
a heat resistant fabric
100% cotton thread for stitching and quilting pieces together
A 1.5” or 2” strip WOF for binding. OK I said easy you do not have to bind. See note.
      Construction:
Layer back fabric face down, heat resistant fabric silver shine face down, batting, focal fabric face up.
Sew a few cross stitches to quilt these together. Bind and you're done.
No binding? Ok, layer the fabrics; heat resistant, batting, focal fabric right side up backing right side together, sew around the square, leaving an opening to turn, clip off corners, trim down excess batting, turn right side out between the fabrics, press well and turn in the opening. Edge stitch around the piece, and you're done. Simple usable gift item.

NOTE: if you intend the item to be used around any heat, everything must be 100% cotton, for things like a mouse pad you don’t need the heat resistant piece & you can use scraps of other battings as well as other thread.  Have fun!

Carylanne
OMG today in email a new quilt layout from MSQC, block is called the envelope. It is just like making the QST block only you turn one piece from another block solid point inside. Better to see it here.

• Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 388
Points 6,665
Phyllis replied on Sun, Sep 8 2013 5:27 PM | Locked

I participated last year and got some gorgeous fabric.  Would love to do it this year, but just don't have the funding.  Maybe next year......

Bonner Springs, Kansas

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,831
Points 31,895
Roxana replied on Mon, Sep 9 2013 3:42 PM | Locked

On another board .... several of us have been talking about wanting to make a POSTAGE STAMP quilt but NOT without a swap. Debbie-do is going to help me hostess it and it looks to be lots of fun. You literally watch your scraps disappear.

Anyone interested?

• Post Points: 65
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 392
Points 4,900
Kristie replied on Mon, Sep 9 2013 4:00 PM | Locked

Roxana:

On another board .... several of us have been talking about wanting to make a POSTAGE STAMP quilt but NOT without a swap. Debbie-do is going to help me hostess it and it looks to be lots of fun. You literally watch your scraps disappear.

Anyone interested?

Sounds interesting.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 507
Points 10,020
Judi replied on Mon, Sep 9 2013 4:02 PM | Locked

Roxana, anything that helps me use my scraps or stash would be wonderful.  I figure that if I used strips, I could make several postage stamp blocks.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 415
Points 5,370
Kathy replied on Mon, Sep 9 2013 4:06 PM | Locked

Roxana or Debbie-do can you help some us who are not in the know what a POSTAGE STAMP quilt is and what might be required in the swap?

Kathy

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,459
Points 40,890
Mimi replied on Mon, Sep 9 2013 4:15 PM | Locked

Ooo, ooo,  Me! me! I'm interested.  I already have started cutting those scrappy 2 inch squares.  Count me in, in, in.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,459
Points 40,890
Mimi replied on Mon, Sep 9 2013 4:16 PM | Locked

Hi Kathy,

I'm not Roxana or Debbie-Do but this is what I know about them. Postage stamp quilts are those made from small scrap squares.  A 60 x 60 throw would require 1600  two inch squares.  If you made the squares smaller, you would need more, and bigger squares would require less.  But postage stamps are about 1" x 1".  So it's using up lots of different small squares to make a quilt.

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,831
Points 31,895
Roxana replied on Mon, Sep 9 2013 4:19 PM | Locked

Ok... The thread is open...

Postage Stamp Scrap Swap - Hostess: Roxana

Hope to get some takers!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,831
Points 31,895
Roxana replied on Mon, Sep 9 2013 4:19 PM | Locked

Judi:

Roxana, anything that helps me use my scraps or stash would be wonderful.  I figure that if I used strips, I could make several postage stamp blocks.

Judi, read the introduction and let me know if you are interested!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 160
Points 2,960
Kathy G replied on Mon, Sep 9 2013 11:38 PM | Locked

There has been a suggestion to do a signture block swap.  Because of the possible scope of this swap, I think it would be a great new year project...old friends/new friends-you get the idea.

Anyone interested or have suggestions?  I think it sounds like a great idea and a chance to share a little bit of ourselves with each other.

Kathy G.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 415
Points 5,370
Kathy replied on Tue, Sep 10 2013 5:33 AM | Locked

Thanks Mimi!  After finishing my bargello, I think I have done all the small stuff I want to do for a while, so I guess I will pass on this one.  Very interesting concept thou.

Kathy

Page 43 of 65 (967 items) «Prev4142434445Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use