SWAP IDEAS

rated by 0 users
This post has 966 Replies | 64 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,736
Points 30,145
Roxana replied on Thu, Aug 1 2013 12:20 AM | Locked

One correction though before I hit the sack.... It's Jacy's idea to have no more than 20. Thanks, Jacy.

• Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 449
Points 8,955
Judi replied on Thu, Aug 1 2013 2:32 AM | Locked

I researched the Blocks Galore section of Quilterscache.com. There are few star blocks in the 10 inch size ans most are either listed as challenging or using paper piecing. I prefer the 12-1/2 unfinished size. There are so many codices at more skill levels.

so this is my plan so far:  it is not engraved in stone until the Swap Fairy Godmother gives me the okay!

1.  12-1/2" unfinished star blocks. 

2.  The backgrough or negative space is white solid - no off white!

3.  The stars are blues. Your star may have only 2colors, white and one blue, or the block may call for a third color. The third color is to also be a blue.  You may use mottles, tone on to panes, batiks, whatever as long as the fabric reads blue. No turquoise or periwinkle lavender. 

4. Please choose your own block pattern. I can suggest Quilterscache.com in the blocks galore section. If you choose your block from another source, please make sure it is not the same as a listed block. I will check any that I don't know to be sure we get 12 different choices.

5.  I think that some of our members would only like to make 12 blocks where others would make more. I think we would need two groups. That would insure that we actually get at least 12 people to make 12 blocks each!  As much as I like having 20 persons, I am not sure too many want to make 20 blocks. If there are enough for 2 groups, I will be happy to do that.

7.  If we have two groups, the blocks in the second group should be different than the blocks in the first group

8.  Scheduling. I know some of you are getting kids back to school and college in Augustvwhile don't do that until Labor Day.  I also want some I pout on how long you feel it will take to make 12 blocks. 

• Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 449
Points 8,955
Judi replied on Thu, Aug 1 2013 2:36 AM | Locked

I want some input not pout! On how long we need to cut and sew 12 blocks. I don't want a rush, but I do hope to have the blocks to anfpd be able to mail out in November before thanksgiving! 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Thu, Aug 1 2013 3:22 AM | Locked

Judi, when this gets up and going , please add my name to the list. I should be able to make a few blacks by then  I'm hoping to be back at my machine in a few short weeks .  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,451
Points 24,135
Debbie replied on Thu, Aug 1 2013 7:47 AM | Locked

Judi:
5.  I think that some of our members would only like to make 12 blocks where others would make more. I think we would need two groups. That would insure that we actually get at least 12 people to make 12 blocks each!  As much as I like having 20 persons, I am not sure too many want to make 20 blocks. If there are enough for 2 groups, I will be happy to do that.

Judi - might suggest that you could have the one group that makes 12 blocks and then another group that makes 8 additional blocks.  It wouldn't really be an additional group as those would just make the additional blocks plus the original 12.  that way they still get 20 blocks but aren't making 32 blocks.  does that make sense?  

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,426
Points 40,395
Mimi replied on Thu, Aug 1 2013 8:56 AM | Locked

Judi:
 I also want some I pout on how long you feel it will take to make 12 blocks.

I guess it would really depend on how complicated the block is to make.  I would say one should be able to complete 12 star blocks in a month if they only had the weekends to work on them. So two months should be ample time but with holiday preparations it might be wise to stretch it a little bit.

I like Debbie's idea of making the other swap for 8 different from the first blocks.  Although 24 blocks is not too much for one quilt.  I personally would like to make the 20 blocks. 

One more thing..when you say solid white that means Kona?  No white on white or small print on white?

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 62,790
Jacy replied on Thu, Aug 1 2013 9:23 AM | Locked

I'd vote for using white on white, not just solid white.

Also like the idea of 12 for the first group, then see how many want to do a second set.

I think the due date has to be by mid Nov, or else not till the beginning of January.

• Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 160
Points 2,960
Kathy G replied on Thu, Aug 1 2013 10:09 AM | Locked

I have to say you gals are kickin' it!  As a newbie to fabric swaps the more I read, the more excited I get.  The ideas are so very cool!  I can't wait to get started!

I think a month would be plenty of time...especially if everyone knows ahead about the deadline.  I would really prefer white on white rather than a flat white...I think it gives more pop to the blocks.  In terms of the number of blocks,  I really like the idea of having the second group be for folks that want to do more.  I wonder though if it would be an option to allow them to use the same pattern for all 20 but use different colors for the last 8?  That might encourage more folks to do a larger number.  Just thinking out loud here.

Oh, and by the way, sign me up-for both groups:)

Kathy G.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,451
Points 24,135
Debbie replied on Thu, Aug 1 2013 10:18 AM | Locked

Mimi:
I like Debbie's idea of making the other swap for 8 different from the first blocks.  Although 24 blocks is not too much for one quilt.  I personally would like to make the 20 blocks. 

Mimi - that's not exactly what I meant, but I can see now that I read your post  I guess that's how it came out.  what I meant is 20 people sign up altogether - 12 make 12 blocks to exchange and the other 8 make 8 additional blocks of a different star, but they are only making enough for those who wanted 20 blocks,which would be those 8, Does that make sense?  

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,451
Points 24,135
Debbie replied on Thu, Aug 1 2013 10:30 AM | Locked

Jacy:
I'd vote for using white on white, not just solid white.

I agree with WOW, really trying to expand my choices and haven't started using more WOW so I vote for that.  I'm in for the 20.  now, are we telling what star choices we make beforehand, so no duplicate stars.  I missed that in the posts.  

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,736
Points 30,145
Roxana replied on Thu, Aug 1 2013 10:35 AM | Locked

Judi will be hostessing the swaps. As soon as she is ready, I'll open a thread for her. I think she'll answer all the questions in her introduction.

Keep talking though because the more we brainstorm up front, the better the plan becomes. Thanks, everyone, for your input.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 449
Points 8,955
Judi replied on Thu, Aug 1 2013 12:54 PM | Locked

I am ready to start this swap.  I am not sure how the threads actually work!  I do need to make this swap run smoothly and I want to do a great job.  As soon as Roxana gives me the go ahead, I will post.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 160
Points 2,960
Kathy G replied on Thu, Aug 1 2013 5:32 PM | Locked

Way to go Judi!  Let's get the party started!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,736
Points 30,145
Roxana replied on Thu, Aug 1 2013 8:42 PM | Locked

Judi:

I am ready to start this swap.  I am not sure how the threads actually work!  I do need to make this swap run smoothly and I want to do a great job.  As soon as Roxana gives me the go ahead, I will post.

Judi, I think I started the thread. It's my first to start so let me know if you are unable to post your introduction.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,309
Points 18,345
Erin replied on Fri, Aug 9 2013 11:51 AM | Locked

Roxana/Barbara ~ I know there are a lot of swaps happening right now but  I'm really excited about the Blue and White one happening now and was wondering if there would be any interest in a Red and White block swap some time soon?

Piece, Love, Quilt

• Post Points: 80
Page 38 of 65 (967 items) «Prev3637383940Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use