SWAP IDEAS

rated by 0 users
This post has 966 Replies | 64 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 163
Points 3,005
Kathy G replied on Mon, Jul 15 2013 4:45 PM | Locked

I would like to participate in this if it is not too late,..I would vote to go scrappy otherwise you end up with same fabrics lumped together that may not work with other lumps of colors.  This is my second attempt at a swap so let me know what is needed.  Kathy

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 247,949
Barbara replied on Mon, Jul 15 2013 4:54 PM | Locked

Kathy G I'm not sure which swap you are talking about so you need to let us know which one .. we have several new swaps now open . Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 163
Points 3,005
Kathy G replied on Mon, Jul 15 2013 5:29 PM | Locked

I was looking at the tumbling block pattern (with diamonds and  triangles).  Sorry for the confusion.

Kathy

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 247,949
Barbara replied on Mon, Jul 15 2013 10:30 PM | Locked

thanks Kathy ,that one has been put on hold for a short  time as the gal that was going to do it has been ill and is not ready yet.  I'll let you know when it re-opens . Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 562
Points 10,825
Judi replied on Wed, Jul 31 2013 1:04 PM | Locked

I have been thinking about a swap of blue and white blocks could be fun for the winter.  I am thinking blue skies after the snowfall.  

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,907
Points 33,200
Roxana replied on Wed, Jul 31 2013 1:14 PM | Locked

Judi:

I have been thinking about a swap of blue and white blocks could be fun for the winter.  I am thinking blue skies after the snowfall.  

That sounds great! What size blocks are you thinking? Are you thinking pieced blocks in blue and white as in a sampler? 

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 562
Points 10,825
Judi replied on Wed, Jul 31 2013 1:27 PM | Locked

Yes, a ampler would be wonderful.  I was thinking either 8 x 8 or 12 x 12 as those tend to make up into great quilts.  We can keep it simple with snowball, nine patch or have fun as make stars -- any type of star.  I would love to see stars.  I wonder though how many blocks per person would be reasonable?

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,907
Points 33,200
Roxana replied on Wed, Jul 31 2013 1:45 PM | Locked

Judi, I sent you a PM.

I think a star sampler sounds great. What do some of the rest of you think? Give us some feedback!

• Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,480
Jacy replied on Wed, Jul 31 2013 1:59 PM | Locked

I like the idea of blue and white stars blocks.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 163
Points 3,005
Kathy G replied on Wed, Jul 31 2013 5:01 PM | Locked

Blue and white stars?!?!? too cool!  Could we shoot for snowflakes and snowmen fabric to make it super wintery?  Maybe that's over the top(no pun intended) but it sounds like lots of fun to shop for and work on.  I would like to go with the bigger block size of 12x12 and I think that you could go with a larger group since folks can pick their own star design.  The cuts and piecing would all be essentially strip piecing so the time commitment wouldn't be overwhelming.

Thoughts?

Kathy G

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,468
Points 41,125
Mimi replied on Wed, Jul 31 2013 5:02 PM | Locked

I would love to do a blue and white star block exchange.  Would it be a good idea to claim which star you were thinking of making so the whole quilt would be made of different stars?  Maybe there could be a listing to pick from?  Also I think the idea of 8 or 12 inch finished blocks would be great. 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,907
Points 33,200
Roxana replied on Wed, Jul 31 2013 9:40 PM | Locked

Kathy G:

Blue and white stars?!?!? too cool!  ....  I would like to go with the bigger block size of 12x12 and I think that you could go with a larger group since folks can pick their own star design.  The cuts and piecing would all be essentially strip piecing so the time commitment wouldn't be overwhelming.

Thoughts?

Kathy G

Thanks, Mimi and Kathy, for your input.

Kathy, what size group are you thinking? I like the idea of picking your own star on a first come, first served basis. Maybe all the star blocks would have to come from the same source so that we would all know which block participants are choosing. So many blocks go by many different names. ... Would it be better if the star blocks were pre-selected and participants chose which one they would do on a first come basis?

Thinking out loud....

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,480
Jacy replied on Wed, Jul 31 2013 9:52 PM | Locked

More ideas,

Blue stars on a white background, or any combo of blue and white?

Would we make 12 each of our block, or would we want more participants/block, no more than 20.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 163
Points 3,005
Kathy G replied on Wed, Jul 31 2013 11:29 PM | Locked

Roxanna-

I think Mimi's idea of no more than 20 is a good one, but, I would suggest that we not limit the sign-ups.  If there are 30 people that sign up then we can split into 2 groups.  I would think the interest in this swap would be pretty high.  After the sign up closes, then folks can pick their block in order of signing up.  Having all star patterns from one source would simplify the choices for folks.

Do I hear you offering to act as hostess?  If you decide to go for it, I would be willing to serve as hostess for group number 2.  I've never served as hostess so to do so with someone else would be really beneficial.

So to summerize...

blue and white star block swap...blocks to be 10x10 (compromise between 8 and 12 in blocks) with unlimited number of participants.  When sign-up closes, participants will be split into 2 groups and they can select their block pattern in order of sign-up.  After that, it's all shop, shop, shop, quilt, quilt, quilt, and mail.

Sound reasonable?

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,907
Points 33,200
Roxana replied on Thu, Aug 1 2013 12:18 AM | Locked

No, Kathy,  I'm filling in for Barbara as moderator while she is having surgery and recovering. I'm just trying to facilitate a good discussion on this. Judi has stepped forward as a hostess and is also working on ideas. I'll be here to help whoever hosts. Let's see what Judi says when she sees these ideas from tonight. She lives on the east coast and may not be up this late. 

I agree that Mimi's idea of no more than 20 is a good one. I think though that we would want everyone picking their block as they signed up. That's when their interest is highest. I like your idea too of allowing two different groups if enough interest is there. Several swaps are winding down so it's likely the interest will be there.

Let's keep talking. Bedtime for me!

Page 37 of 65 (967 items) «Prev3536373839Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use