Susan replied on Mon, Aug 20 2012 9:10 PM | Locked

I would be interested in a flannel swap.  Susan

• Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 403
Points 2,925
Candy replied on Mon, Aug 20 2012 9:35 PM | Locked

WOW Barb, I am glad I am not the only one who didn't know what yarn-dyed flannel is.  I had to call Melody and ask her.  She said it where the threads are already dyed  before it is woven into flannel and the pattern in not stamped on.  She said it is like home-spun fabric.  I know like the plaid flannels are basically the same on both the right and wrong sides, yet a lot of, let's say' baby flannels, are like white or a solid color on the back because the pattern has been stamped onto the material.  Does that make sense?  She said it was also thicker material than those other types.  And you don't want to mix the 2 types of flannel together in the same quilt.  Makes sense to me anyway.

Candy in Norborne MO

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,817
Points 248,459
Barbara replied on Mon, Aug 20 2012 9:45 PM | Locked

Thanks Candy , this is good information. I had no idea. this will help all of us who want to do the flannel swap, I think Lillie is planning on it  she is just waiting to see how many members like the idea.  I think its great ..,barbara  ps, I wonder if this flannel bleeds when washed , did she say anything about that? 

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,195
Nana replied on Mon, Aug 20 2012 10:07 PM | Locked

Candy

I am glad that you explained the yarn dyed flannel.  I had never heard the term before even though I knew that some flannels have the print all the way thru and some are only on one side.  Great explaination and go info to know.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,679
Points 248,642
Thea replied on Mon, Aug 20 2012 11:06 PM | Locked

Barbara:
I wonder if this flannel bleeds when washed , did she say anything about that? 

It doesn't bleed when washed but you need to wash it at least 3 times to get the shrinkage down - most flannels shrink but this one will shrink more then others - if you are using only it in a quilt - like say a rag quilt - you don't have to worry as the whole quilt will shrink at the same rate - but if you are using this flannel on the back of a quilt - you can expect your whole quilt to shrink up - and sometimes the fronts look squashed after you do this... 

You can use the 2 flannels together - but again - remember that this one shrinks more - stamped on flannels will shrink between 1/4 and 1/2" - dyed flannels sometimes can shrink almost a full inch.

• Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 403
Points 2,925
Candy replied on Mon, Aug 20 2012 11:24 PM | Locked

Barbara and Nana..

Don't thank me.  I just was Melody's mouthpiece on this.  I didn't understand it either which is why I called her to get a better definition.  She and I were talking the other night and I was telling her about Paul's rag prayer quilt and how I would like to make one since I gave his back to his son, and thought a swap of flannel layer cakes would be a way to get one made.  His was done in solids and plaids, warm colors.  That was when she said unless everyone understood that all flannel is not the same, it could be a hard swap to do unless the quality of the flannel was fully explained and what would be expected as satisfactory swap fabric.  So that is why I brought it up and Melody was the one who called it "yarn dyed."  So thank Melody for the definition LOL.

If Lillie wants to do a different type of flannel swap, then I might be interested in doing on of solids and plaids later on.  We will just have to see what transpires from this swap.

Candy in Norborne MO

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,817
Points 248,459
Barbara replied on Tue, Aug 21 2012 12:14 AM | Locked

thanks Thea and Candy and Melody , this is really good information for us to know ,I really had no idea there  were differnt types of flannel. Who would have thunk it ..LOL  I will leave this decision up to Lillie, since she is wanting to host this swap, I would think she would want to just do the regular old solids,but that is her call. I will let you all know as soon as she lets me know .. You all are great ... Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Tue, Aug 21 2012 6:54 AM | Locked

Barbara-let me know when we have enough interest and we can discuss the details for this swap.

northern colorado

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,817
Points 248,459
Barbara replied on Tue, Aug 21 2012 8:12 AM | Locked

Lillie , I will , I will send you a message  so be sure to check your home page .  thanks Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,817
Points 248,459
Barbara replied on Tue, Aug 21 2012 8:35 AM | Locked

Lillie I have sent you a friends request, I need for you to accept this so I can message you . thanks Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Tue, Aug 21 2012 8:59 AM | Locked

I confirmed Barbara.

northern colorado

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020
MelodyP MO/KS replied on Tue, Aug 21 2012 10:45 AM | Locked
Hey Barbara, I heard my name and thought maybe I would share my flannel experience. I made a rag quilt and it did go together easy and quick, however there is a different in flannels. The quilt I made was for a man and so I wanted to be, of course manly. When picking out flannels some were printed and some were woven, aka good heavy flannel shirts. I pre-washed and dried in hot water to assure maximum shrinkage. The printed fabrics shrunk very bad and were distorted. I had to straighten grains in order to keep waste down. The woven held up better. A tip I learned after the fact was to stitch or surge around raw edges to save raveling during washing. I am collecting flannel for a second rag quilt. As for bleeding, I don't know if it does or not. Hope this helps. Melody

MelodyP

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,817
Points 248,459
Barbara replied on Tue, Aug 21 2012 11:21 AM | Locked

Thanks, Melody this is really great infomation, Thank Goodness Candy passed on the info you gave her. None of so far were aware of this .Now when I look for flannel for this maybe swap if we get enough intrest ,I will know what not to get.   Nice to see you back on the swap group . Barbara.

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Not Ranked
Posts 22
Points 120
tjtruesdale replied on Tue, Aug 21 2012 9:57 PM | Locked

I really would be interested in doing an I spy swap.  I think it would be a wonderful christmas present.  We could do a kid one or adult.  I found a neat idea for an adult one.  You pick a block that goes along with a phrase.  Like: people who throw stones should not live in glass houses.  The block would be like stones or glasses.  Just an idea and a wish! 

Page 3 of 65 (967 items) Prev12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use