SWAP IDEAS

rated by 0 users
This post has 899 Replies | 61 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Sun, Oct 28 2012 9:47 AM

Hi All, Thanksgiving will be here soon ,would any of you like to do a small table runner exchange ?  This would be just for 12 members and the table runner would need to be an easy fast pattern and small in size.  This is just an idea . if anyone would like to do this let me know .

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,390
Points 19,250

Hi Barbara,

I can go ahead and start the paisley swap anytime but I'm still thinking February time frame. Let me know when you open the thread. Thanks so much for all the hard work you are doing on these swaps.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Sun, Oct 28 2012 12:54 PM

Melissa I will open it now for you just give me a couple of minutes .Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,119
Points 110,600

Barbara:
I think Judy T was going to do the State blocks ,but I don't think she is going to post it until the New Year starts.

Thanks Barbara, yes, I figured on waiting until after the holidays. Here are my thoughts on a state block swap. This will give everyone who is interested a chance to give it some thought. Not taking sign up's here, that will happen after the holidays and after Barbara opens a State Block swap thread.

Tentative guidelines:

1. Limit to 12 participants
2. I was thinking 14-1/2" that finish to 14". That would give enough room for state flowers/animals/scenes or whatever.  But, if the majority prefers, we could make it a 12-1/2" block. I thought either size would make a nice size lap quilt when sashings and borders are added.
3. Signup would begin on January ?? and close on January ?? or when 12 participants are reached.
4. You would have 3 months to send in the blocks. (this is open for other suggestions, I just threw out 3 months but should it be more or less?) 
5. Blocks would be tagged with the quilters name and state/region the block represents. A sticky note would work fine. Just so we all know where the blocks are coming from. If you are able to incorporate the info into the pattern that would be great. Your choice.
6. You would make 12 blocks but they could all be different (or all the same, again your choice) as long as they represent your state or region. The blocks could be applique, pieced or embroidered. Whatever floats your boat.
7. And, of course, the standard things about postage etc. 

Like I said, this isn't a sign-up request. I'm just throwing out the possible guidelines and when it would start. If it becomes necessary, we could have a State Block 2 swap at a later date. For me, because of time constraints, making more than 12 blocks at one time would be more than I'd want to do. 

Thoughts? Especially on timing?

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 697
Points 11,405
Bev replied on Sun, Oct 28 2012 2:09 PM

Sounds good to me and there is plenty of time to find fabric and plan the block. I have never made a 14 1/2 in block but I do love the chance to make a larger block.

from TN

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 331
Points 3,500
Kristie replied on Sun, Oct 28 2012 3:46 PM

Barbara:

Hi All, Thanksgiving will be here soon ,would any of you like to do a small table runner exchange ?  This would be just for 12 members and the table runner would need to be an easy fast pattern and small in size.  This is just an idea . if anyone would like to do this let me know .

I'd be interested in it!

• Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060

Judy T-Bellingham sorry about that mis step.
I actually forgot who had mentioned the state block. I am good with a three month producing time frame, and I am still wanting Texas. Beverly Caldwell just sent me a message and is interested as well and she wants Louisiana. So maybe you might want to think about seeing who is interested now even if you aren't ready to start it. that way you can have an idea of what states are already asked for. lol
i haven't made any blocks that are 14.5" but I know a great place on line for free block patterns, and I am a math whiz..lol . so if you decide to do a large one that is also OK by me.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060

Barbara:

what a cute idea to have someone else's work on the table or side board or perhaps a darling wall hanger, but did you realize that Thanksgiving is just three week from Thursday Nov22 this year  mercy me this year has gone by so quickly .
as a matter of fact that gives me an idea, why don't you do a cute table runner for valentines day oh ah that would be like having a secret  valentine, and it wouldn't matter how many wanted to partake,because you would only make one and send it off... LOVE is in the AIR!!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Sun, Oct 28 2012 5:34 PM

Caryl Anne that is a good idea as well .Will see what some of the others think first then make a decision.  thanks for the good ideas.Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,119
Points 110,600

Caryl Anne:
nd I am still wanting Texas. Beverly Caldwell just sent me a message and is interested as well and she wants Louisiana. So maybe you might want to think about seeing who is interested now even if you aren't ready to start it. that way you can have an idea of what states are already asked for. lol

Hi Caryl Anne. Thanks for the input.  I wasn't planning to restrict the number of participants by state.  I figured even if there were two,or more,  from the same state, we'd all create different blocks.  But it is an interesting idea and something I hadn't thought of.

Barbara, I have a question for you. Caryl Anne suggested opening the swap now.  This will be the first time I've hosted a swap and don't want to mess up. What would be the issues if we actually open up the State Block Swap so people can sign up? But give a completion date to mail blocks later (Mid-January? Mid-February? Mid-March?) That way those who want to participate could have some lead time to prepare.

Input folks, I need input and guidance. 

1. Do you want this swap opened now with a completion date next year (when?)

2. Do you want 12-1/2" or 14-1/2" blocks?

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,005
Judy T I would love to get in on this and it wouldn't matter to me what states. I have several fabrics in wish list across the WWW. I would like a 14 1/2" block exchange to have more creative room.If you open now or later add me, but the more work time we have the better. At least for me.

MelodyP

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,005
Judy T, after thought....... I have friends in Mo and Ks. I would like them on my quilt just as quick as I would anywhere else. Important word would be Friends. So let the games begin!

MelodyP

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,005
Kristie, I love the idea but do not want to jump into anything this quick esp since I am still enjoying your RR and not you.

MelodyP

Not Ranked
Posts 52
Points 415
FRANNYE replied on Sun, Oct 28 2012 8:19 PM

HELLO JUDY,

I WOULD LIKE TO JOIN THE GREAT STATE OF MARYLAND AS MY BLOCK EVEN THOUGH WE A  SMALL STATE I THINK I WOULD LIKE THE BLOCK SIZE TO BE 14 1/2 INCHES THERE IS A LOT THAT CAN BE SAID ABOUT MARYLAND. I ALSO WOULD LIKE IT TO BE AFTER THE FIRST OF THE YEAR AS I HAVE LOTS OF PROJECTS FOR CHRISTMAS I'M MAKING FOR FAMILY AND FRIENDS. PLEASE INCLUDE ME AS MARYLAND AND I WON'T BE BACKING OUT IF IT'S ANYTIME AFTER THE FIRST OF THE YEAR.

THANKS 

FRANNYE

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Sun, Oct 28 2012 10:54 PM

Judy I can't think of any issues@ this time  ,you would just want to make sure everyone understand that this is not due until you set close date.  Just let everyone know how many members you want in this swap and what you would like to see done.  then if there are any problems you can get them worked out before time.  Just let me know when you are ready for me to open a thread and I will do so .. Let me know if you have any other questions . Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Page 14 of 60 (900 items) «Prev1213141516Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use