Second Annual Winter Theme Layer Cake Swap - Hostess: Caryl Anne

rated by 0 users
This post has 69 Replies | 17 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,906
Points 33,150
Roxana Posted: Sat, Sep 14 2013 9:07 AM

This is for the Second Annual WInter Theme Layer Cake Swap swap hosted by Caryl Anne. Do not sign up until she has posted her guidelines. Thank you. Roxana

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060

The second annual Winter Theme Layer Cake Swap (10” x 10” square) is underway. 

Please read and understand all the information in pages for preparing & cutting your fabric. Don’t forget the new page on postage. It seems some are still using a stamp. This causes delays as the host has to physically hand the package to a postal service.

Stamps Prepaid stamp

Roxana has now added a page for your convenience. Your return envelope MUST have a prepaid stamp, image above, in the amount of $5.90 if you are not using a USPS prepaid flat rate envelope, available shipped to your home. All shipped packaging will follow the new guidelines.

Joining is a commitment to the other participants. All will know the guidelines and will to the best of their knowledge be able to complete this swap in a timely manner. Please look at your calendars and be sure that you have not planned too much that you need to drop out after the deadline. If something happens before deadline PLEASE let me know ASAP, so that I may give your spot to someone else.

To join this swap sign up here, click on my name & send me a friends request or conversation giving me all your pertinent information. Full name, along with screen name, physical address, email address and a phone # in case I need to speak directly about the swap. I will return my information back to you, to keep in your home page until time to ship. You can at any time converse with me directly through the conversation or through my email, with questions.

Our swap will be for 20 participants, each party will need 1.5 yards of two quilt shop quality fabrics in WINTER THEME, no holiday fabrics. Cut each of the fabrics into 20 precise 10” X 10” square. No fold and No selvedge. Layer each pair together, fold once in half. Place all 20 sets into 1 gallon baggie, along with your name and address inside of the baggie. Ship!
Swap sign up September 14, 2013
Deadline is a full group or November 30, 2013
Mail units on or before January 3, 2014 (you may ship any time after December 20th)
Return fabric swap ASAP after all packages arrive.
I look forward to another successful winter fabric swap.
Links to follow:
Guidelines to fabric preparation and cutting
Guidelines to postage for swaps & where to order prepaid envelopes
Cutting straight of grain ( must be followed in order to have uniformed cuts)

• Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060

Please sign in on this thread even if your name is listed in the fabric swap threads 

I should mention that a max of 2 pieces of this swap will be accepted. Each part is made up of two different fabrics. 

1. & 2. Carylanne received  
3. & 4. Roxana  received 

5. & 6. Kathy G. received  
7. Melissa H received 
8. & 9.Kathy Barnhardt received 
10. Vyn W.  (vynnp) 
received 
11. Beth Mc (emcrorie)  received  
12. Bonita  received  
13. & 14. Gail N. received   
15. Karyn A-Smith  received 
16.random selection (not your own) 
17. Phyllis received 
18. Mimi  received  
9. Pat L. received 
. Tami T. received 

as of November 7, 2013 we have a full group. Please let me know if for some reason you do not want to be included, or if you need to send early for any reason.  

Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 305

Please sign me up for the Winter Themed Fabric Swap.

Kathy B.

• Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,409
Points 19,530

Me, me, me. Please add me.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

• Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 163
Points 3,005
Kathy G replied on Sat, Sep 14 2013 8:24 PM

Thanks for including me...Could I also sign up for a second set?  I promise different fabrics!

Kathy G.

Not Ranked
Posts 19
Points 380
emcrorie replied on Mon, Sep 16 2013 8:30 AM

Please sign me up.  I've read the cutting directions at least 5 times now, and am feeling brave enough to sign up :)

Beth 

Not Ranked
Posts 38
Points 750
vynnp replied on Mon, Sep 16 2013 11:42 AM

Would like to sign up. Sent you a PM

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060

Hi Swappers! I have updated our lists; welcome Vynnp and Beth McRorie. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,857
Points 68,560
Bonita replied on Mon, Sep 16 2013 8:25 PM

Hi, Caryl Anne, Please add me t the list. We got a lot of pretty squares last year.

Not Ranked
Posts 19
Points 380
emcrorie replied on Wed, Sep 18 2013 11:53 AM

I got my fabrics today, and I think they are just gorgeous.  I just want to confirm..we are pre-washing the fabric?  I read the instructions and she washes, but she also says there is debate about it.  I am new to this and second guessing myself at every step :)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,906
Points 33,150
Roxana replied on Wed, Sep 18 2013 11:57 AM

We don't wash in swaps. Thanks for asking.

Not Ranked
Posts 19
Points 380
emcrorie replied on Wed, Sep 18 2013 12:35 PM

for all swaps? for example the red and white heart swap, I am using reds from my stash what were washed when I bought them, but the white on white is new.  Should I wash the white?  or should I go get new reds and not wash them? and with the reds, if we don't pre-wash, will we end up with pink quilts if we don't pre-wash?  sorry if I am over thinking, I just want to get it right.

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,906
Points 33,150
Roxana replied on Wed, Sep 18 2013 3:35 PM

emcrorie:

for all swaps? for example the red and white heart swap, I am using reds from my stash what were washed when I bought them, but the white on white is new.  Should I wash the white?  or should I go get new reds and not wash them? and with the reds, if we don't pre-wash, will we end up with pink quilts if we don't pre-wash?  sorry if I am over thinking, I just want to get it right.

I use color catchers. Don't worry about the ones you have already washed. Someone more experienced than I will have to tell you about whether or not you should wash the whites. I don't think it matters but I'll see what someone else says.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060

emcrorie:

Hello Beth, please post this question to your swap hostess for red hearts block.

IMHO I would say to use the washed fabrics for your blocks, first you will need to steam press the white (or wash it) and then use a starch alternative to press and give the fabric a good firming up. It will make a better block. and will make for easier sewing. 

fabrics for swaps are not washed, however,  they are pressed well to remove the fold and any wrinkles/ creases. This is to prepare your yardage, in order to true up the straight of grain before cutting. 

some wash all their quilting fabrics prior to doing any piecing. I do, however when I am working for a block exchange, & I have purchased NEW fabric I do not do this step.It is purely a personal preference to wash or not to wash,, that is the question. LOL

When I use my stash I use Best Press, recommended by several on QCA, because it is a starch alternative. That is a good thing to read about for newbies. Here is the link I I read after hearing a good reason not to use regular starch for fabrics going on the shelf. I still use starch for all my clothes. I live in TX 90% of my closet is cotton, so I iron everything. 
thanks for asking,
Carylanne 

Page 1 of 5 (70 items) 12345Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use