Postage Stamp Scrap Swap, Group 2 - Hostess: Roxana ~ COMPLETED

rated by 0 users
This post has 50 Replies | 14 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,843
Points 32,075
Roxana Posted: Tue, Sep 10 2013 1:10 PM

Since the first swap filled up so quickly, we've opened a second swap. Same rules apply but here they are again. If you are also in the First Group, try not to use the exact same fabrics as you did there. Please vary it.

Have we got the swap for you! You don't have to go out and buy new fabric for this swap since it's already hanging around your house! We'll be getting new fabric from someone else's leftovers!! Ever want to make a postage stamp quilt? Now's your opportunity! It takes at least 1,600 two inch squares to make a 60" x 60" throw.

Sign-up Start Date: September 10
Mail Date: January 22, 2014

Number of Participants: 16

Stipulations:

1. Good quality fabric store fabric suitable for quilting. When you hold it up to the light, you shouldn't be able to see through it. Homespuns or flannels should NOT be used for this swap. Also, please don't include obvious holiday prints.  ….. Since this is for scraps, a mixture of washed and not washed fabric may be included. Be sure to use good cutting practices while preparing your squares - no selvedges, never torn, no ripped out stitch holes showing, etc. Strive for accuracy in your cutting. If you are new to swaps, read the fabric guidelines on the Pages section of the Fabric Swaps Group.
  2. Package (100) 2" squares in a sandwich size baggie for each participant (no baggies with zippers, please). No more than 2 duplicates of any fabric per 100.. Also, try to balance each baggie with equal amounts of lights, mediums, and darks but don't go out and buy fabric if it doesn't work out that way.
  3. Sign up by posting in the thread and then friend me so you can send your personal information via private message conversation. Send your name, home address, phone number, and personal email address to the me. I'll return my information to you by reply so that you will know where to mail your completed bags. 
  4. The swap will remain open until one of the following happens:
    (A) We have 16 participants (14 plus my co-hostess Debbie-do and me) OR
    (B) October 30
    If we do not have 16 participants by October 15, participants can choose to do a second set (provided that their entire set is made up of different fabrics from the first set), or we can just go with the number that we have and increase the number each person will receive back so that each participant receives a variety of 1,600 squares.
  5. Package each 100 squares into a sandwich baggie (no baggies with zippers, please) and prepare 16 baggies and mail them to me in a LEGAL size flat-rate envelope. ….  Include a pre-paid self addressed LEGAL size flat-rate envelope for the return of the swap. NO STAMPS PLEASE! Order your prepaid envelopes from USPS at USPS.com and order them when you sign up so that you will have them in time. Place INSIDE your return envelope a note to the Post Office with your name and address on it incase the envelope should be destroyed in transit. I will securely tape everywhere I can. …. Ship PRIORITY mail so that you have a tracking number and PM me the tracking number once you have shipped. 
  6. NOTE: If you are planning to come to the Branson Retreat, I'll plan to bring the other side of the swap to you then and you'll have your envelope for another swap! Send it just in case plans change. One never knows.

One good tutorial for postage stamp quilts can be found at the following link:

http://thecuriousquilter.wordpress.com/2011/08/31/postage-stamp-quilt-block-my-demonstration/

1. Kathy G

2. Kristie

3. Pat

4. Kathy G

5. Debbie (DEAR)

6. Melissa

7. Mimi

8. Roxana

9. Rhonnie

10. Penny

11. Roxana

12. Debbie-do

13. Kerry G.

14. Karyn Ashley-Smith

15. Patty59Oregon

16. Zsofia

Have fun watching your scraps disappear! Debbie-do and I are so excited for this swap! We hope you are too.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 160
Points 2,960
Kathy G replied on Tue, Sep 10 2013 2:46 PM

Sign me up for a second round please!

Kathy G.

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,843
Points 32,075
Roxana replied on Tue, Sep 10 2013 3:01 PM

Kathy G:

Sign me up for a second round please!

Kathy G.

Got it, Kathy!

• Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 392
Points 4,915
Kristie replied on Tue, Sep 10 2013 3:34 PM

I'm up for a second set-  got to reduce the scraps- they are running wild and trying to take over the basement!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 231
Points 3,565
Pat replied on Tue, Sep 10 2013 6:48 PM

Sign me up.  Thanks.....should be so much fun.      Pat

Pat   From Canada

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,843
Points 32,075
Roxana replied on Tue, Sep 10 2013 10:46 PM

Kristie and Pat, I've got you down for both groups. Thanks!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,520
Points 25,455
Debbie replied on Wed, Sep 11 2013 12:40 AM

ok, the mail date is Jan 2014 or at the Branson Retreat.   Wasn't sure when they were due and I knew if in next 2 months forget it, with my surgery but by Branson, is doable.  Put me down for group 2.  I started a baggie somewhere just need t find it again and count the good ones.   

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,843
Points 32,075
Roxana replied on Wed, Sep 11 2013 4:52 AM

Debbie, they are due in January before Branson and to be returned at Branson. Do you still want to do it?

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,335
Points 20,065

Oh, this swap sounds wonderful!!  DH recently bought me an AccuQuilt though and I've been cutting all my scraps into 2.5" squares and HSTs that will sew together to make 2.5" (2" finished) blocks.... So... I can't join you in this one, but I just wanted to say I think it's a wonderful idea for a swap and I can't wait to see all the lovely postage stamp creations that come out of it!!!

Raleigh, NC

• Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,520
Points 25,455
Debbie replied on Thu, Sep 12 2013 8:50 PM

Roxana, I knew that!  Silly me, I think ahead of my typing. I  really want a machine that senses what I want to type and does it instead of me making all these typos. 

Yes, I'm still in, been cutting up my scraps and have a little box full, haven't counted but probably 150-200 at tleast.  course, 1600 is alot!

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,408
Points 19,580

Hi Roxana -  would love to do a second set too! One question though, are these sqaures 2" finished or unfinished?????

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,579
Points 47,555
Debbie-do replied on Fri, Sep 13 2013 1:59 PM

Melissa, you'll be cutting and sending 2" squares.  They will finish at 1 1/2" in your quilt.

I don't have the editing rights to put your name on the list but I'm sure Roxana will do it soon. I'm thinking about doing a second group too but I want to wait to actually start cutting these squares to commit to it!  I'm hoping that happens this weekend.

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,459
Points 40,890
Mimi replied on Fri, Sep 13 2013 3:46 PM

Roxana, After getting all the beautiful fall HST's I want to do another set for this swap too.  It is so exciting to get lovely varied fabric without buying it.  Put me down for another.  A wonderful friend sent me a great new tool for cutting all my mini squares that got in the mini quilts I love to do.  Can't wait to use it.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,843
Points 32,075
Roxana replied on Fri, Sep 13 2013 3:51 PM

Melissa and Mimi, I've added you as well as myself to the second set. It is exciting to get such a lovely variety. These quilts will be awesome!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 231
Points 3,565
Pat replied on Fri, Sep 13 2013 8:38 PM

Thanks so much Roxana.   Pat

Pat   From Canada

Page 1 of 4 (51 items) 1234Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use