Postage Stamp Scrap Swap - Hostess: Roxana ~ COMPLETED

rated by 0 users
This post has 170 Replies | 26 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,735
Points 30,095
Roxana Posted: Mon, Sep 9 2013 4:17 PM

Have I got the swap for you! You don't have to go out and buy new fabric for this swap since it's already hanging around your house! We'll be getting new fabric from someone else's leftovers!! Ever want to make a postage stamp quilt? Now's your opportunity! It takes at least 1,600 two inch squares to make a 60" x 60" throw.

Sign-up Start Date: September 9
Mail Date: January 22, 2014

Number of Participants: 16

Stipulations:

1. Good quality fabric store fabric suitable for quilting. When you hold it up to the light, you shouldn't be able to see through it. Homespuns or flannels should NOT be used for this swap. Also, please don't include obvious holiday prints.  ….. Since this is for scraps, a mixture of washed and not washed fabric may be included. Be sure to use good cutting practices while preparing your squares - no selvedges, never torn, no ripped out stitch holes showing, etc. Strive for accuracy in your cutting. If you are new to swaps, read the fabric guidelines on the Pages section of the Fabric Swaps Group.
  2. Package (100) 2" squares in a sandwich size baggie for each participant (no baggies with zippers, please). No more than 2 duplicates of any fabric per 100.. Also, try to balance each baggie with equal amounts of lights, mediums, and darks but don't go out and buy fabric if it doesn't work out that way.
  3. Sign up by posting in the thread and then friend me so you can send your personal information via private message conversation. Send your name, home address, phone number, and personal email address to the me. I'll return my information to you by reply so that you will know where to mail your completed bags. 
  4. The swap will remain open until one of the following happens:
    (A) We have 16 participants (14 plus my co-hostess Debbie-do and me) OR
    (B) October 30
    If we do not have 16 participants by October 15, participants can choose to do a second set (provided that their entire set is made up of different fabrics from the first set), or we can just go with the number that we have and increase the number each person will receive back so that each participant receives a variety of 1,600 squares.
  5. Package each 100 squares into a sandwich baggie (no baggies with zippers, please) and prepare 16 baggies and mail them to me in a LEGAL size flat-rate envelope. ….  Include a pre-paid self addressed LEGAL size flat-rate envelope for the return of the swap. NO STAMPS PLEASE! Order your prepaid envelopes from USPS at USPS.com and order them when you sign up so that you will have them in time. Place INSIDE your return envelope a note to the Post Office with your name and address on it incase the envelope should be destroyed in transit. I will securely tape everywhere I can. …. Ship PRIORITY mail so that you have a tracking number and PM me the tracking number once you have shipped. 
  6. NOTE: If you are planning to come to the Branson Retreat, I'll plan to bring the other side of the swap to you then and you'll have your envelope for another swap! Send it just in case plans change. One never knows.

One good tutorial for postage stamp quilts can be found at the following link:

http://thecuriousquilter.wordpress.com/2011/08/31/postage-stamp-quilt-block-my-demonstration/

GROUP 1

1.  Roxana

2.  Debbie-do

3.  Mimi

4.  Susie

5.  PennyWYO

6.  Kathy G

7.  Linda (Ohio)

8.  Frances (England)

9.  beve99

10.  Zoetc49

11.  Kristie

12.  Pat (Victoria, B.C.) ...???

13.  Judi

14.  Melissa H.

15.  Jacy

16.  Merry

GROUP 2

1. Kathy G

2. Kristie

3. Pat

4. Merry

5. Debbie (DEAR)

6. Melissa

7. Mimi

8. Roxana

9. Rhonnie

10. Penny

11. Melody

12. Debbie-do

13. Kerry G.

14. Karyn Ashley-Smith

15. Patty59Oregon

16. Zsofia

Have fun watching your scraps disappear! Debbie-do and I are so excited for this swap! We hope you are too.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 160
Points 2,960
Kathy G replied on Mon, Sep 9 2013 4:27 PM

Me too! Me too!

Kathy G.

• Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 345
Points 5,995

Hi Roxana,

Thank you for hosting this swap.  I would love to participate in my first swap so sign me up!

Penny

• Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,735
Points 30,095
Roxana replied on Mon, Sep 9 2013 4:37 PM

Penny and Kathy, I have you down!

• Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 387
Points 4,830
Kristie replied on Mon, Sep 9 2013 4:39 PM

Please sign me up!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,735
Points 30,095
Roxana replied on Mon, Sep 9 2013 4:49 PM

Ok! Please send me a friend request.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 449
Points 8,955
Judi replied on Mon, Sep 9 2013 4:56 PM

Sign me up!  I am using 2" squares in a Confetti quilt now.  I will use my accuquilt Go Baby to cut the 2" squares as I know they will be cut perfectly.  I will go wild with my scraps.  So much fun!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,735
Points 30,095
Roxana replied on Mon, Sep 9 2013 5:01 PM

Judi:

Sign me up!  I am using 2" squares in a Confetti quilt now.  I will use my accuquilt Go Baby to cut the 2" squares as I know they will be cut perfectly.  I will go wild with my scraps.  So much fun!

So I guess that's another die I have to have!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 128
Points 1,775
beve99 replied on Mon, Sep 9 2013 6:38 PM

#9!  can't wait!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,406
Points 19,540

Roxana:
Have I got the swap for you! You don't have to go out and buy new fabric for this swap since it's already hanging around your house! We'll be getting new fabric from someone else's leftovers!! Ever want to make a postage stamp quilt? Now's your opportunity! It takes at least 1,600 two inch squares to make a 60" x 60" throw.

Hi Roxana - I'm sure interested in this one. I just have one question. Just out of curiosity, why no zip lock baggies? No biggie, just wondering. Please add me!

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,735
Points 30,095
Roxana replied on Mon, Sep 9 2013 7:01 PM

Melissa Halpain:

Hi Roxana - I'm sure interested in this one. I just have one question. Just out of curiosity, why no zip lock baggies? No biggie, just wondering. Please add me!

Ziploc baggies are ok as long as they don't have that plastic zipper. The plastic zipper takes up too much room in the envelope! Take it from someone who just tried to put 516 HSTs (i.e. 32 baggies with 16 squares each) into a letter size envelope. I had to undo the some of the ones that had the zippers and re-bag them in order to get everything in the envelope. I think our bags of 100 are going to be tight in the legal size envelope as it is. That's all I was saying. I can take it out if you all think that it's unnecessary. (You're the second person to ask me.) I use Ziploc baggies but they have a seal without the zipper. Does that make sense?

I'll add you!

• Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 62,790
Jacy replied on Mon, Sep 9 2013 7:10 PM

I want to do this too.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 128
Points 1,775
beve99 replied on Mon, Sep 9 2013 7:10 PM

Hey Roxana,

This is my 1st swap, so forgive me.  I've got a question on #5.

Package each 100 squares into a sandwich baggie (no baggies with zippers, please) and prepare 16 baggies and mail them to me in a LEGAL size flat-rate envelope.

So we'll be getting a baggie of our fabrics back?

Beve

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,735
Points 30,095
Roxana replied on Mon, Sep 9 2013 7:17 PM

beve99:

So we'll be getting a baggie of our fabrics back?

Yes, that's right. You just won't know which one. So far, no two of the ones I've cut are exactly the same. It's easier for the hostess to be able to split up the 16 for 16 participants than it is to remember which person you are sorting. Trust me. It's better this way. Maybe someone else can explain it better!

Jacy, you're in!

• Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 128
Points 1,775
beve99 replied on Mon, Sep 9 2013 7:26 PM

Roxana:

It's easier for the hostess to be able to split up the 16 for 16 participants than it is to remember which person you are sorting.

This thought crossed my mind after I posted.  Thanks for hosting this!

Page 1 of 12 (171 items) 12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use