This post has 117 Replies | 18 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,344
Points 38,975
Mimi replied on Sun, Aug 11 2013 6:29 PM

Erin:
What is group 2 buying/using?

I thought, probably wrongly, that the white was just white.  I have cut but not sewed any of the blocks for the second swap and had used WOW.  But if that is really going to upset someone, I'll be glad to recut the background (the white) for the second swap.  I am sewing the last of the first swap as we speak and it uses WOW so redoing them would be a real headache.   I'd just like to mention that unless all of us buy and use the same white fabric from the same manufacture and lot, there will be variations in the color.  There will be variations in the quality too.  If the outline had said use Kona Snow for the white we might all be closer to matching.  Not trying to make waves and I'm not upset.  Just saying........  And Erin if you would like solid white, I'll make mine solid white.

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 305

Thank you for your advice. This is driving me crazy as I sew a 1/4 inch seam and press after each seam.

I'll try the scant 1/4 inch seam and the placement of my ruler. 

Kathy B.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,152
Points 15,790
Erin replied on Sun, Aug 11 2013 8:29 PM

OK...I went through my fabric and I found some WOW fabric I can use and I'll save the white I bought for something else.  I'll  just add some of my 12" patriotic orphan blocks to these blue stars and make 2 or 3 quilts to donate to the veterans home.  I don't want anyone to have to re-cut fabric, it's not a big deal.

Erin

Roxana:

Is there an easy way to find out who is using white on white and who is using plain white? We could put on in one swap and the other in the other. Let me know which you are doing and we'll see if we can do that. I haven't started any of my two blocks and I have both whites so I can be in whichever swap I need to be.

White on White

1. Susie
2. Jacy
3. Debbie
4. Mimi
5. Valerie 

Plain White
1. Judi
2. Erin
3. Judi

Can Go EIther Way
1. Roxana
2. Melody
3. Barbara
4. Roxana
5. Melody
6. Mimi
7. Bonita 
8. Melissa
9. Melissa 

So as I hear from you, I'll edit this post.
Kathy G. (2x),  Kathy Bernhardt, Frannye, Diane, Laura Marx

Will that help things? I'll post this in both groups just in case someone is following only the one.

Piece, Love, Quilt

• Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 305

I haven't bought the white material yet, so either way is fine with me.

Just let me know which one to buy.

Kathy B.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 404
Points 8,085
Judi replied on Tue, Aug 13 2013 2:48 PM

Thank you Kathy G!  Kathy took the last spot in the swap. We have all 12 places filled!

• Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,392
Points 24,230
Roxana replied on Tue, Aug 13 2013 5:16 PM

Thank you.... I'll do mine in solid white so there will be a mixture....

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 159
Points 2,940
Kathy G replied on Tue, Aug 13 2013 5:20 PM

Judy,

I will do Go Along star #1

Kathy G.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,152
Points 15,790
Erin replied on Thu, Aug 15 2013 10:20 AM

Laura,

I got your email and will make a test block today or tomorrow.  I think it will look fine with two colors; maybe even do a solid white, white on white and a blue? Thank you for taking the time to email me!  Hope you're feeling better.

Erin

Laura Marx:

Thank you. I know I had such an amazing feeling of accomplishment once I had figured how to work the black with white dot into a block without it being over powering the rest of the block elements. The true test was sewing the second block, having it work out a second time following my notes as instructions, (in the loosest sense of the word)! This is the only block I have ever attempted to design and I am pleased with the resulting blocks and my recipient has been happy as well which was the true stamp of approval!

It is relatively a simple block to piece. It does require quite a bit of fabric due to the 3d layering as well as causing it to be a bit heavy! (I hadn't considered that fact with mailing initially to a swap host in the US and then she then mails to my partner who is in the UK so the post office has definitely liked the block too!) 

If you or anyone else would like me to email them the directions I have written for my own benefit as I can't do the same thing twice without a pattern! I am more than happy to email these to you just send me an email at marslaura@usa.com I called it a blooming star.

Piece, Love, Quilt

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 8
Points 115

I will be better able to answer you by Saturday I hope. I will likely work on the color scheme of either the WOW background with a light blue and white  star and dark blue for the fabric that was black with white dots in my picture but not sure what will look best. I think if I get a sample of my ideas done and pictures posted by Saturday then the group can decide for me what they like best! After all these will be for your quilt so may as well be what you prefer! (I also happen to be a very indecisive person so this lets me shrink from making important decisions alone!!!)

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,152
Points 15,790
Erin replied on Mon, Aug 19 2013 10:31 AM

My twelve blocks are finished.  I'll check back here when it is closer to time to mail them for further instructions.

Erin

Erin:

OK...I went through my fabric and I found some WOW fabric I can use and I'll save the white I bought for something else.  I'll  just add some of my 12" patriotic orphan blocks to these blue stars and make 2 or 3 quilts to donate to the veterans home.  I don't want anyone to have to re-cut fabric, it's not a big deal.

Erin

Roxana:

Is there an easy way to find out who is using white on white and who is using plain white? We could put on in one swap and the other in the other. Let me know which you are doing and we'll see if we can do that. I haven't started any of my two blocks and I have both whites so I can be in whichever swap I need to be.

White on White

1. Susie
2. Jacy
3. Debbie
4. Mimi
5. Valerie 

Plain White
1. Judi
2. Erin
3. Judi

Can Go EIther Way
1. Roxana
2. Melody
3. Barbara
4. Roxana
5. Melody
6. Mimi
7. Bonita 
8. Melissa
9. Melissa 

So as I hear from you, I'll edit this post.
Kathy G. (2x),  Kathy Bernhardt, Frannye, Diane, Laura Marx

Will that help things? I'll post this in both groups just in case someone is following only the one.

Piece, Love, Quilt

• Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 159
Points 2,940
Kathy G replied on Mon, Aug 19 2013 11:02 AM

Roxanna-

I just wanted to let you and the others know that I am doing 2 sets of 12 in plain white and one set in WOW.  I thought that way there would be a mix in case someone wanted all solid or all WOW.  Wasn't sure if you were updating the list for everyone or if this was just informational.

Kathy G

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 404
Points 8,085
Judi replied on Mon, Aug 19 2013 3:58 PM

You are speedy. I haven't even started yet!  I have had two classes and learned several new techniques and tools but I guess I'd better get in the groove and get going! 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Wed, Aug 21 2013 4:28 AM

Judi ,what a fun swap ,I'm sorry I missed this one.  maybe next time.   BArbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060
Caryl Anne replied on Fri, Aug 23 2013 10:38 AM

Thank You Roxana,
for passing on the Starflower Block to me. I have had a very quiet time from QCA for several months, & I am ready to dive in.
Roxana was gracious enough to offer my choice of the two blocks she had chosen. I choose the Starflower Block to give her a break from all the HST... LMAO.
I will be using Kona WHITE as background. I read someone mentioned  Kona Snow. Snow is not a true white. just saying.

Judi I sent a Friends request and a PM but I think it got washed away in QCA space. I will try again this evening, and if that doesn't work I will have Roxana send you my details.

Glad to be back.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,152
Points 15,790
Erin replied on Tue, Aug 27 2013 2:24 PM

Just checking in, everyone sure has been quiet!  I've sent several friend requests, to no avail.  Not sure of all the details anymore as things changed mid stream.   I'll check back in November. 

Piece, Love, Quilt

• Post Points: 35
Page 4 of 8 (118 items) «Prev23456Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use