rated by 0 users
This post has 117 Replies | 19 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 508
Points 10,055
Judi replied on Tue, Aug 6 2013 4:04 PM

Melissa, I got it posted. 

Now...I'm not a gracious hostess. I am scared to death that I'm not going to do this right!  I plan on starting on my first blocks this week!

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,841
Points 32,050
Roxana replied on Tue, Aug 6 2013 4:12 PM

Judi, you'll do great. Everyone, remember to square up your blocks to 12-1/2" before sending them to Judi! .... If in doubt about fabric or how to cut it, PLEASE read the pages of the discussion group!

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020

Judi, You are doing just fine.  You are right on top of everything.  The best swaps I have been in are the ones where the hostessing person was patient.  Take a deep breath and carry on you are doing fine!!

MelodyP

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 8
Points 115

Thank you. I know I had such an amazing feeling of accomplishment once I had figured how to work the black with white dot into a block without it being over powering the rest of the block elements. The true test was sewing the second block, having it work out a second time following my notes as instructions, (in the loosest sense of the word)! This is the only block I have ever attempted to design and I am pleased with the resulting blocks and my recipient has been happy as well which was the true stamp of approval!

It is relatively a simple block to piece. It does require quite a bit of fabric due to the 3d layering as well as causing it to be a bit heavy! (I hadn't considered that fact with mailling initially to a swap host in the US and then she then mails to my partner who is in the UK so the post office has definitely liked the block too!) 

If you or anyone else would like me to email them the directions I have written for my own benefit as I can't do the same thing twice without a pattern! I am more than happy to email these to you just send me an email at marslauraATusa.com I called it a blooming star.

• Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 8
Points 115

Thank you and I will be making a mock up of that block I pictured to see if I can get it to look nice with only the 2 colors. I will send you an email or message or something to let you know and possibly include a picture for your thoughts of it. In the mean time I will also keep my mind on thinkiking about what other star block hasn't been chosen as a back up in case the one doesn't look right. 

As I feel like a dancer with 2 left feet on my knowledge and ability with using these forum things please have patience with me as I can be a bit thick in the head at times. I have however almost figured out email and the like. It is the replying and checking it that I still have to practice at getting done more timely!!! My email so that you can reach me is marslauraATusa.com

Judi:

Laura, you're posted as signed up. 

One last spot ladies!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,313
Points 18,420

Laura. I'll add you as a friend here on QCA and, I'd love to have your pattern emailed to me.  

Thanks,

Erin

Laura Marx:

Thank you and I will be making a mock up of that block I pictured to see if I can get it to look nice with only the 2 colors. I will send you an email or message or something to let you know and possibly include a picture for your thoughts of it. In the mean time I will also keep my mind on thinkiking about what other star block hasn't been chosen as a back up in case the one doesn't look right. 

As I feel like a dancer with 2 left feet on my knowledge and ability with using these forum things please have patience with me as I can be a bit thick in the head at times. I have however almost figured out email and the like. It is the replying and checking it that I still have to practice at getting done more timely!!! My email so that you can reach me is marslauraATusa.com

Judi:

Laura, you're posted as signed up. 

One last spot ladies!

Piece, Love, Quilt

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 508
Points 10,055
Judi replied on Thu, Aug 8 2013 2:49 PM

Hi Ladies.

Now that we have all signed up, I just th want to ask all of you to follow a few simple things with the swap:

1.  Please be sure to square up your blocks to 12.5"  I know that we will not be perfect but the blocks need to be really close to the 12.5"

2.  Please be sure your seams are complete.  This means that sometimes a block ends up with an open seam .

3.  Trim your threads.

I know that my 11/4 has been measured by other teachers and athough it measured perfectly, in  my last class, my blocks were about a 1/4 small.  It was my cutting.  However evenly I cut, obviously, my strips were just the tiniest bit shy.  when you add in the number of seams, it made the difference.  My suggestion is to make one block first and square it up.  Remember that you need the seam allowance so don't trim and cut that off.

I figure that after the first one, I can adjust my cutting or seam allowances to get a more accurate 12.5" block

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,841
Points 32,050
Roxana replied on Thu, Aug 8 2013 8:53 PM

Thanks, Judi, for the reminders. ... Good suggestions!

I'd recommend making your sample block out of scrap fabric but definitely make it and square it up to 12-1/2. If it doesn't square up correctly, try to figure out where you may have gone wrong and keep making sample blocks until you get the 12-1/2" block. I've been known to take my block to the LQS or a friend who is a better quilter than I am and have them help me figure out why I'm missing the mark.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 508
Points 10,055
Judi replied on Thu, Aug 8 2013 9:52 PM

Roxana

when I took a class from a visiting teacher, she took out 24 inch rulers from three companies as well as the cutting mat ruler and since each one had markings that were a different width, how you measured to get an exact. 2 1/2 inch strp could be up to 1/8 inch difference. It may not seem like much, but when you figure in that each piece might be 1/8 small times all the seams, that leaves you a block that might be 1/2 small.  

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,313
Points 18,420

My fabric from connecting threads is supposed to be delivered on Tuesday.  I have my grand daughter until Sunday evening and I'll make a couple practice blocks when she goes home.  I have made sawtooth stars before, but it was about 6 months ago.  

I'm excited about this blue and white quilt and hope that someday I'll find a red and white block swap too.  I think that two color quilts are very beautiful!  

Laura and Judi- I've sent you friend requests.  Once you add me Judi I'll send my info to you.

Good night.

Erin

Piece, Love, Quilt

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 508
Points 10,055
Judi replied on Sat, Aug 10 2013 11:51 AM

One of our swappers needed to drop out of the block swap for personal reasons. Please let others know that we have an open spot!

Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 305

Thank you for adding me to the swap. This is my first time doing this and I really do not know what I'm doing.

I'm new to the quilting world.  I've made some lap quilts for family and friends but nothing for the "outside world".

I'm having trouble with why my unfinished blocks are coming out smaller than what the patterns finished block size is.

I've always been able to modifie the pattern to work with what I have but these need to be accurate as I do not want them to be a

disappointment  to the recepients.  Can anyone give me some advice on what I may be doing wrong?

I have ventured out this year and joined a local quilting guild with a friend. We have each made a king size mariners compass quilt top for our beds.

We have been working on these off and on for about 6 months. I know where all of my mistakes are but i think all in all it looks nice. It has been fun as we quilt together. 

Now we just have to have them quilted. We have just finished 2 patriotic lap quilts for the veterens center and 2 happy lap quilts for the cancer center,

that our quild donates to.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 508
Points 10,055
Judi replied on Sun, Aug 11 2013 4:18 PM

As I have had the same problem, I hope I can give you a few pointers

First, it may be how youmposition your ruler when cutting. Try making sure that you get a full cut. Maith some rulers that have fatter markings, if you are lined up with the edge of the marking ( closest to cutter) your cuts will be bit smaller than a full cut. 

Second, try a scant quarter inch seam. That little bit really changes things.

I have also checked my cuts of squares with the Accucut square. I found mine were just about 1/16 smaller. That doesn't matter if I made all the same blocks for a quilt, but when I use different blocks with more seams, the difference was, well, I really had blocks of different sizes.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,313
Points 18,420

This is in regards to the posts in group 1 blue and white star block swaps; the white/WOW fabric issue.    I read the guidelines as white, not WOW, and bought plain white fabric online and it was delivered yesterday.  What is group 2 buying/using?    I won't lie;  I signed up thinking it would be a plain white background.   Twelve blocks with twelve different WOW backgrounds isn't appealing to me.   Please tell me you all read it as plain white too!

Piece, Love, Quilt

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,841
Points 32,050
Roxana replied on Sun, Aug 11 2013 6:21 PM

Is there an easy way to find out who is using white on white and who is using plain white? We could put on in one swap and the other in the other. Let me know which you are doing and we'll see if we can do that. I haven't started any of my two blocks and I have both whites so I can be in whichever swap I need to be.

White on White

1. Susie
2. Jacy
3. Debbie
4. Mimi
5. Valerie
6. Erin 

Plain White
1. Judi
2.Judi

Can Go EIther Way
1. Roxana
2. Melody
3. Barbara
4. Roxana
5. Melody
6. Mimi
7. Bonita 
8. Melissa
9. Melissa
10. Kathy G
11. Kathy G
12. Kathy Bernhardt 

So as I hear from you, I'll edit this post.
Frannye, Diane, Laura Marx

Will that help things? I'll post this in both groups just in case someone is following only the one.

Page 3 of 8 (118 items) Prev12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use