Blue and White Star Block Swap - Hostess: Judi

rated by 0 users
This post has 184 Replies | 20 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 305

Susie, I'm having the same problem with mine they are also coming out 12 & 1/4".

I have tried doing the pattern different ways and with different seam widths but I keep coming up with 12 & 1/4" or smaller.

I have wasted quit abit of fabric checking and rechecking. If my hair was not already platinum blonde it would be by now.

I'm not good enough yet to know if there is something wrong with the dims of the pattern or what I might be doing wrong.

Kathy B.

2nd Blue and White Star Block Swap

• Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 305

Susie,

I'm having the same problem with mine they are also coming out 12 & 1/4".

I have tried doing the pattern different ways and with different seam widths but I keep coming up with 12 & 1/4" or smaller.

I have wasted quit abit of fabric checking and rechecking. If my hair was not already platinum blonde it would be by now.

I'm not good enough yet to know if there is something wrong with the dims of the pattern or what I might be doing wrong.

Kathy B.

2nd Blue and White Star Block Swap

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,479
Points 41,345
Mimi replied on Sun, Nov 3 2013 8:55 PM

I know for me I agree with Jacy about dimensions of blocks from swaps.  I'll probably use sashing or set them on point anyway. So what's the difference with one little 1/4 inch?  I also have figured out that if I don't cut my pieces just a hair bigger (cutting when the left side of the fabric is almost to the left of the line) and take a scant 1/4 inch seam, the thread width and the folds on the finished block are going to take up more space than I thought they would thereby shrinking my expected size.  And I really mean a hair bigger....maybe 1/32nd bigger.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 605
Points 11,685
Judi replied on Mon, Nov 4 2013 11:41 AM

That little 1/4 is easily manipulatable!  BTW, I took a class recently and my 1/4 seam allowance was checked.  Not all feet measure exactly the same.  The other thing I learned was that rulers are not the same either.  How you place your fabric and view it may be a tiny bit diferent.  I found that although my 1/4 seam was exact from the teacher's measurement my strips after being sewn into 6 strip sets were 1/4 smaller than the 12.5 inches!  It was the ruler!  Everyone in the class compared their rulers!  Most were close but a few were just the teenist bit firrent and in some the lines were thicker and all this tiny dierences is why even if you are perfect in sewing, your square could be 12 1/4 or even 12 3/4 when you finish!  usually it is the smaller!

Just be sure not to trim off the seam allowances for your points.

BTW. I have found that when I use the rulers by Creative grids and Quilt in a Day specialty rulers I get a lot closer to the 12 1/2 unfinished size.   I do not work for any of them or a quilt shop so it is just my opinion and that of the teachers in several classes I have taken by visiting teachers who aren't selling anything but their patterns and techniques.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,440
Jacy replied on Mon, Nov 4 2013 12:03 PM

Judi, my blocks are all made but I don't have your address. Could you please send me a PM with your address so I can get them in the mail.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 605
Points 11,685
Judi replied on Mon, Nov 4 2013 12:12 PM

Please everyone, put in a Stamped addressed return envelope!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060

I am glad to see that we are all human in our piecing. I am rather a perfectionist when it comes to my  cutting and sewing. Yes ya'll are laughing, but really, I had some problems with the 12.5" square. I use MADEIRA AEROFIL THREAD, a 100% polyester  2 ply for piecing. and i have my machine set at a scant (1-2 threads less) 1/4" . even with that, the pressing and cutting have to be real good. So after my worrying about that little discrepancy in the square I took out another ruler and well that is when I discovered that the NOT all Rulers are the same. I know that each block has the 1/4" seam allowance on each point so I am happy with my work. AND I love the fabrics..

I do hope no one cutoff those seam allowance, points will disappear and then we cannot use that block. 

Judi, do you have an update of whos you have received. I did send mine last Thursday and I PM you the tracking #. 

Judi you are asking for a stamped addressed return envelope? If you have received stamps on an envelopes you will have to hand deliver them to the P.O. there should be no stamps on the envelope. a prepaid postage is what is needed. of course in the correct amount. 

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 605
Points 11,685
Judi replied on Tue, Nov 5 2013 4:39 PM

Carle Ann, I did receive yours. I will pist tomorrow whose have come in.

As that teacher sowed me, all rulers are definitely not the same. 

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,405
Points 21,105

I'm not participating in this swap, but just wanted to say that I hope you all will post pictures of the projects you make with these blocks.  Can't wait to see what comes out of it!  :)

Raleigh, NC

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 605
Points 11,685
Judi replied on Wed, Nov 6 2013 7:27 PM

Hi everyone

Here is the list o the Blue and White Star Blocks that I have received.  I will post the second group on that thread.

Roxana

Jacy

Debbie

Kathy G

Bonita

Judi (that's me!)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,479
Points 41,345
Mimi replied on Wed, Nov 6 2013 8:01 PM

Judi, I sent my package over a week ago.  We live so close to each other.  Are you sure you haven't received my blocks for the first swap?  I marked each one with the name of the square and the swap on a peel-off label.  Please tell me you've received my squishy. 

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 605
Points 11,685
Judi replied on Tue, Nov 12 2013 4:25 PM

I have been over the top busy this week.  I have received a few more than the last post.  I will post a new list of those received tonight.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 605
Points 11,685
Judi replied on Wed, Nov 13 2013 8:37 AM

as of this morning I have the following block sets:

Judi

Roxana

Susie

Jacy

Debbie

Mimi

Valerie

Kathy G

Bonita

if you are one of the two I am missing, please mail them today or message me. I really need to get them makes out before the end of next week.   I I have either left your name out or have put it in by mistake, let me know. 

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 605
Points 11,685
Judi replied on Wed, Nov 13 2013 8:37 AM

as of this morning I have the following block sets:

Judi

Roxana

Susie

Jacy

Debbie

Mimi

Valerie

Kathy G

Bonita

if you are one of the two I am missing, please mail them today or message me. I really need to get them makes out before the end of next week.   I I have either left your name out or have put it in by mistake, let me know. 

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 605
Points 11,685
Judi replied on Fri, Nov 15 2013 12:29 PM

Not to be a meanie, but I am still missing blocks from three people. I was to mail out today. I need to get this done before the end of next week and I need the 2nd group to go no later than the Monday before Thanksgiving. 

Please just let me know if you have mailed and when I can expect your blocks. 

Page 9 of 13 (185 items) «Prev7891011Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use