rated by 0 users
This post has 385 Replies | 24 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,793
Points 31,045
Roxana replied on Tue, Jul 23 2013 10:20 PM

Joyce:

Roxanna I need to order the pre paid postage envelopes how much will the postage be?  Never ordered them before.  You did say no stamps right?  Will start working on mine soon.

Order them from the USPS site...

http://uspsstore.stamps.com/Store/catalog/sub_category.jsp?id=cat961410023&_requestid=20651&sslr=true

The prices range from $16.80 to $17.85 for three envelopes. The final price depends on what kind/size of envelope you order. I believe they send them to you postage free. I usually order more than 3 since I am in several swaps.

Is that what you wanted to know?

• Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 491
Points 9,715
Judi replied on Thu, Jul 25 2013 3:36 PM

Do they fit in he flat rate envelope with another envelope snide?  I am planning to mail on Tuesday. 

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,793
Points 31,045
Roxana replied on Thu, Jul 25 2013 6:31 PM

Judi:

Do they fit in he flat rate envelope with another envelope snide?  I am planning to mail on Tuesday. 

SInce you are in just one group, yes, they will fit in the flat rate envelope with another envelope inside, especially if you have used the snack size baggies.

For those of you in both groups, please use the legal size flat rate envelope so that I can send them all back in one envelope.

Thank you!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,793
Points 31,045
Roxana replied on Fri, Jul 26 2013 11:42 AM

Bonita:

Roxana,both sets are in the mail today. Thanks for doing this swap.

Bonita, both sets arrived yesterday. Thanks so much for using the legal size flat rate envelope for two sets. I love your fabric choices! I can't wait to see everyone else's! These are going to make a great quilt!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,735
Points 66,655
Bonita replied on Fri, Jul 26 2013 12:15 PM

You're welcome, I'm glad they got there safely. You just need to push as much air out of the gallen bags as you can. i keep looking at ways to use the HST's. Lots of choices.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 593
Points 9,425
Joyce replied on Sat, Jul 27 2013 9:27 PM

Barbara or anyone, I started making my HST tonight using the triangulations paper.  I don't know what I did wrong but out of the 6 I cut out and pressed.  First I thought they looked pretty good then I couldn't get the paper off so I sprayed it and it came off fairly easy.  But then my blocks look crooked.  I pressed them and trimmed the ends but out of the 6 I did I can only use 3 and I'm not crazy how they turned out either.  I used good fabric it was $12 a yard from JoAnne Fabric quilting collection so I don't think that is the problem.  I must have done something incorrectly.  I was so excited to try this.  I know I shouldn't have since I was dead tired in the first place it has been a busy day all day.  I will wait to see if you have any suggestions the I will try again when I'm not so tired.  My squares look kinda of crooked.  Has anyone else had that problem?  I just want to cry so I guess I'll go to bed instead. ha  Thanks for any info you can give me girls.

Joyce

Maryland

• Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sat, Jul 27 2013 10:55 PM

Joyce, if you are struggling to get the paper off, the HSTs may be distorting as you rip.  Try shortening your stitch so the paper rips easier.  After you have pressed your HSTs, fold the paper on the seam line and run your fingernail along it like you would if you were going to rip any paper straight along a fold line.

If this doesn't work, you might try my method for HSTs.  I cut 4-inch strips of fabric, and then cut 4-inch squares from that.  I put two squares of different fabric right sides together, and then draw a line across diagonally on the lighter fabric.  Sew a diagonal seam 1/4-inch from each side of the drawn line.  Cut apart on the drawn line.  Press open, and then trim to 3-inch.  There's a little more waste with this method, but it is accurate!

On an earlier page of this discussion, there were links to how to sew 8 HSTs at a time.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,793
Points 31,045
Roxana replied on Sat, Jul 27 2013 11:27 PM

Joyce, I did all of mine with the Triangulations paper. It's very important to shorten your stitches. On my Bernina, I shorten them to 1.5 instead of the standard 2.5 that it defaults to. Then if I have trouble with removing the paper, I use one of those tracing wheels like we used to use when we traced patterns onto material and run it over the seam on top of the paper. I then fold the paper at the seam, running my fingernail down it like Nancy said. Then I pull it from the triangle side. It usually falls right off. I didn't have any distort from pulling the paper off. .... The only distortion I get in piecing is if they get wet from water or steam or spray starch.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sun, Jul 28 2013 5:10 AM

Joyce I'm sorry to hear you had so much trouble, You do need to shorten your stitch  length , I thought I had written that down for you if not I'm so very sorry. I do not use steam when making HST any way I make them as the steam will distort if you are not really careful . but that's just me. The only other method I can recommend would be to watch  Jenny Doan from  MSQC  on  a you tube  video ,and do her method of making HST . Is quick and easy .   Also I don't understand why you had trouble tearing off the paper . YOU do need to fold the seam you sew and this will weaken the paper to tear .  Using triangulations is really easy , I'm truly sorry you had so much problems with them an will not give up on this product it really is a good one to have.  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,346
Points 241,972
Thea replied on Sun, Jul 28 2013 9:40 AM

Joyce:
I started making my HST tonight using the triangulations paper.  I don't know what I did wrong but out of the 6 I cut out and pressed.  First I thought they looked pretty good then I couldn't get the paper off so I sprayed it and it came off fairly easy.  But then my blocks look crooked.  I pressed them and trimmed the ends but out of the 6 I did I can only use 3 and I'm not crazy how they turned out either.  I used good fabric it was $12 a yard from JoAnne Fabric quilting collection so I don't think that is the problem.  I must have done something incorrectly.  I was so excited to try this.  I know I shouldn't have since I was dead tired in the first place it has been a busy day all day.  I will wait to see if you have any suggestions the I will try again when I'm not so tired.  My squares look kinda of crooked.  Has anyone else had that problem?  I just want to cry so I guess I'll go to bed instead. ha  Thanks for any info you can give me girls.

Joyce, I can honestly say I hate making HSTs using the paper - no matter how I ever tried it did not work - so now I figure out the measurement and draw my own grid and sew on the lines - or I do the square method like Nancy talked about - I actually hate that paper - I have seen many half square triangles made using the method and I am sorry  - to me they are never quite square - but that is my history with them - so I just don't use them - there are rules for each size of hst to make with squares or the grid that I do - I can't just quote them to you but to me it is much easier then sewing and trying to rip that paper off... I sew and square with a square up ruler... to me it is much more accurate and less fuss and trouble.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,407
Points 19,560

I use the same method you do Thea. I watched that video with the squat method and I used the paper method in a class once. To me that's a waste of paper and money when I can do it so much easier myself. I must just be slow because it's harder for me to square it up with the paper. I thinks it's great that in quilting, there are do many methods to do one thing so everyone can find what works for them.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 593
Points 9,425
Joyce replied on Sun, Jul 28 2013 1:13 PM

Barbara and ladies, thank you all for your info for the HST's.  I did go back down a bit ago and cut the other half of my triangulations and got 2 more that are ok.  Barbara you probably did mention to shorten my stitch and I forgot.  I will try that again, maybe tomorrow and also Nancy I will fold the paper before I tear.  I guess I did everything wrong. ha  I used steam and I sprayed the paper to get it wet to rip it.  So next time I will go short, dry and fold.  I really appreciate all your ideals.  If I still can't work the paper method I will watch that video and try that.  I will conquer these HST's or bust. ha  I'm a little slow getting off the ground a lot of times but once I get it look out.

Hope everyone has a great day.  We have a dinner at church tonight so no nap today.  Thanks again everyone.

Joyce

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sun, Jul 28 2013 1:32 PM

Joyce,  I wish you luck , some just don't like using the paper and that's ok, I only use the paper when I do large quantities .If I'm just making a few I draw the line and cut that way. but try it again  I cut the fabric down to just fit the actual pattern so there was very little waste of fabric.  and then I cut it all down and tear the paper off each individual HST . fold the paper on the seam and it will tear much easier and with the smaller stitch.  Let me know how it goes ,, good luck and just hang in there.  

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,407
Points 19,560

Melissa Halpain:
I watched that video with the squat method

I really meant "square" method. I was using my phone and the spell correct makes me crazier.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 593
Points 9,425
Joyce replied on Mon, Jul 29 2013 8:09 PM

Barbara, Melissa, and everyone, thank you for all the info.  I tried the triangulations again today with the 1.5 inch stitch and a dry iron and creasing the paper before tearing and it worked.  I'm so tickled with it.  Thank you everyone.  Now to just get them done.  They are a lot of work.  I have 34 ready to go several did not come out exactly 3" so they went into the scrap pile.  But now I only have 122 to go. ha  A few at a time it will get finished. 

Oh a ??? am I correct that if I have 4 different fabrics (to make 2 different hst's) I put 8 of each color in each baggie to make up the 16.  Just want to make sure I got that part right.  Thanks.

Joyce

Page 15 of 26 (386 items) «Prev1314151617Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use