rated by 0 users
This post has 385 Replies | 24 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,906
Points 33,150
Roxana replied on Sat, Jul 6 2013 2:00 PM

swedeami:

this is my first swap and i have a question - it is just now july, 2 months b4 the HST are due and most of the ladies say they are done or almost done.  IS EVERYONE BUT ME AN OVER ACHIEVER?  this could be really intimidating if it wasn't so much fun.......:).  karen

Karen, PLEASE don't be discouraged. It's NO ACCIDENT that the HSTs aren't due at my house until September 4! I'm trying to get mine finished soon so I can tell everyone postage but other projects just keep getting in the way! .... I hope you are continuing to have fun. I know I am! I like the idea of putting 4 sets of 4 in each baggie too but I tend to press and trim one color at a time so I won't get mine in baggies until I am trough with the whole lot. .... Summer is a VERY busy time for all of us. That's one reason I put the ending date in September. .... If you do a few each day, the task isn't as daunting and still is lots of fun! PLEASE contact me if you need something. You're doing great!

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,857
Points 68,560
Bonita replied on Sat, Jul 6 2013 2:48 PM

Karen, I'm definately not an over acheiver here. I just know me and if I don't work on things and get them done most likely something will come up and catch my eye and I will be off and running doing the new thing, and then scrambling to finish the HST at the last minute. Take all the time you need for yourself, and enjoy the process. I just know me to well. I need to focus, I hate playing catch-up.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 608
Points 9,680
Joyce replied on Sun, Jul 7 2013 2:05 PM

Bonita & Roxana, how are you cutting your hst's?  Are you using paper or cutting? I've been practicing cutting the on old fabric.

Joyce

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,857
Points 68,560
Bonita replied on Sun, Jul 7 2013 2:19 PM

Joyce I have the Accu-Quilt Go and have a die that cuts a 3/12 finished triangle. Just need to trim them to size.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,906
Points 33,150
Roxana replied on Sun, Jul 7 2013 3:45 PM

Joyce:

Bonita & Roxana, how are you cutting your hst's?  Are you using paper or cutting? I've been practicing cutting the on old fabric.

Joyce

Joyce, I used Triangulations paper that I printed from my computer but used a larger size ... such as  3" HST to make sure I had the correct size when trimmed down. If you use the printout from the Internet, be CERTAIN that your size matches up to the size comparison box they give you  when you print it. Then to be doubly sure, you could sew a scant seam instead of on the line to assure 3: squares. I'd suggest a practice run on some scrap fabric for at least one box (not all 12) to be certain you are getting the finished 3" square. Hope that makes sense. If it doesn't, feel free to call me.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Jul 7 2013 4:58 PM

Here's another quilt design idea for all our HSTs...

http://www.redpepperquilts.com/2010/05/hst-overload.html

This has real possibilities for the variety of fabrics we'll be working with - lots of different prints.   Our lights might not be similar enough to work effectively with the Tickled Pink or Depression quilts.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,857
Points 68,560
Bonita replied on Sun, Jul 7 2013 5:20 PM

MNnancy:

Here's another quilt design idea for all our HSTs...

http://www.redpepperquilts.com/2010/05/hst-overload.html

This has real possibilities for the variety of fabrics we'll be working with - lots of different prints.   Our lights might not be similar enough to work effectively with the Tickled Pink or Depression quilts.

I like this one, she wants sell her pattern but it looks real easy to do without one.

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,906
Points 33,150
Roxana replied on Sun, Jul 7 2013 6:01 PM

Nancy, thanks for all the block patterns! I love the Delaware site! SO MANY of those blocks are solely HSTs and would make great scrappy quilts.

index.html

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060

Bonita:

Joyce I have the Accu-Quilt Go and have a die that cuts a 3/12 finished triangle. Just need to trim them to size.

Bonita, hi there am I reading this right that you are using your GO cutter for triangles? then you are sewing them together and trimming.
never thought about that I've go a GO sitting in its little travel bag waiting to be used.. lol & I had to have it last year.. lol

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Mon, Jul 8 2013 7:00 AM

Even if I had a GO cutter, I think I would rather cut squares than triangles for HSTs.  I've been working on mine by sewing two diagonal lines to make two HSTs at a time.  I wish I had looked at this blog and thought about making four at a time!

http://www.sewmamasew.com/2013/03/half-square-triangles-make-design-with-hsts/

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Mon, Jul 8 2013 7:02 AM

Or better yet, eight!!!

http://www.sewmamasew.com/2013/01/half-square-triangles-hsts-8-at-a-time/

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Mon, Jul 8 2013 7:10 AM

Whichever method I use, I like to make them slightly oversize, and then use the LocBloc to trim.  It's my favorite HST tool because it's used for trimming after the pressing.  I may be guilty of ironing instead of pressing because I find it's easy to distort during the pressing process, so I like to trim to size after that step.

Loc_Block

I don't spin the ruler as she suggests.  I use my rotating mat.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 247,949
Barbara replied on Mon, Jul 8 2013 10:25 AM

Roxanna what an amazing site. I added this one to my favorites . thanks

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,857
Points 68,560
Bonita replied on Mon, Jul 8 2013 11:50 AM

Caryl Anne:

Bonita:

Bonita, hi there am I reading this right that you are using your GO cutter for triangles? then you are sewing them together and trimming.
never thought about that I've go a GO sitting in its little travel bag waiting to be used.. lol & I had to have it last year.. lol

That's right , I can get 40 triangles cut from 2 strips-WOF if I'm careful of the placement. This die cuts a 3 1/2 finished square. Then just chain and trim. That's the time consuming part. I bought the Go over 2 years ago and it set in the closet until I needed a bunch of 2 1/2 strips for a swap. Still only use it if I need a lot of cutting to do.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 701
Points 13,295
Michelle replied on Mon, Jul 8 2013 11:57 AM

I use my Accu-quilt for everything! I love it for cutting triangles, 2 1/2 strips and 1 1/2 strips. So accurate and fast.  

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Page 12 of 26 (386 items) «Prev1011121314Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use