This post has 385 Replies | 24 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Thu, Jul 4 2013 9:01 PM

Barbara:
Now I can't decide which I like best.

The good news is that you don't have to decide.  To me, they look like the same design.  Tickled Pink just has a border which we will most likely have to do since our HSTs will finish to 2 1/2 inches instead of 3 inches as shown in the depression block quilt.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Thu, Jul 4 2013 11:49 PM

Nancy , Your right ,they are the same . I think I really like the one that has no border or at least can have a smaller one.  thanks .

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,382
Points 24,135
Roxana replied on Thu, Jul 4 2013 11:57 PM

MNnancy:

Barbara:
Now I can't decide which I like best.

The good news is that you don't have to decide.  To me, they look like the same design.  Tickled Pink just has a border which we will most likely have to do since our HSTs will finish to 2 1/2 inches instead of 3 inches as shown in the depression block quilt.

And the Tickled Pink quilt was finished with 2" finished HSTs so our quilt will be larger or have a smaller border. The two patterns are put together quite differently. .... It will be fun playing with the different arrangements we can make once we get back our blocks in September on the other side of the swap. I still haven't ruled out pinwheels!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Fri, Jul 5 2013 8:20 AM

Yeah today I'm going to work on the second group and get them finished so I can mail them off . have the first one done and bagged up . Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,412
Points 62,115
Bonita replied on Fri, Jul 5 2013 10:55 AM

Barbara:

Yeah today I'm going to work on the second group and get them finished so I can mail them off . have the first one done and bagged up . Barbara

Me too, Barbara, first one completely done and half of the second one bagged. Going to work on the second half tonight. Feels good to almost be done.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,382
Points 24,135
Roxana replied on Fri, Jul 5 2013 11:26 AM

Barbara:

Barbara, let us know what size flat rate envelope you have to use for sending 32 baggies if you are able to use one. If not, let us know that too! I'm only 1/4 of the way completely finished with the second group. They are all sewn. Another 1/4 are pressed but need to be cut and 1/2 need to be pressed and trimmed!  I'm following someone's suggestion and doing a few each day!

Barbara and Bonita, thanks so much for sharing your progress. It encourages the rest of us on!! The official completion date is for them to be mailed so that I receive them by September 4 but anyone can mail them as soon as they finish and I'll place them in safe keeping until the rest come in. Since I live in the middle of the country, most priority mail items get to me within a few days. I'm so excited for this swap!

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Fri, Jul 5 2013 11:34 AM

Roxana:
The two patterns are put together quite differently.

I don't actually have the Tickled Pink pattern - wouldn't you know I let my McCall's subscription expire just as that issue came out.  Which method looks easiest to do, Roxana? If needed, I can buy the TP pattern online for download, or I could just lay it out on the design wall and assemble it from there.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 79
Points 1,185

this is my first swap and i have a question - it is just now july, 2 months b4 the HST are due and most of the ladies say they are done or almost done.  IS EVERYONE BUT ME AN OVER ACHIEVER?  this could be really intimidating if it wasn't so much fun.......:).  karen

• Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Posts 63
Points 1,170

swedeami:

this is my first swap and i have a question - it is just now july, 2 months b4 the HST are due and most of the ladies say they are done or almost done.  IS EVERYONE BUT ME AN OVER ACHIEVER?  this could be really intimidating if it wasn't so much fun.......:).  karen

This is my first fabric swap too and I was feeling overwhelmed as so many were writing in letting us know they were finished with their blocks.  I just finished picking out my fabric!!  Luckily, Roxana talked me down off the edge of the cliff and I am ready to 'dive in' to the sewing segment.  I'm still very nervous about it, but I am having fun and can't wait until the completed blocks get sent back to us and I can plan out my quilt top.  This whole process is very exciting!

Regina

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Fri, Jul 5 2013 9:24 PM

Karen and Regina, 

If you are feeling like an underachiever, you can imagine how I feel when I go to QCA retreats and quilters are popping out projects left and right and I am repeatedly the only one who has yet to complete one single project at any of those retreats.  LOL  I'm proud that I got off to a strong start here, but I'm sure I'll still be working on my HSTs come late August.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 56
Points 715

I now - - I asked - this isn't due until Sept - right???? - Really - I have lots of other projects on the go - - trying to make good choices... but don't plan to sew until Aug....

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Fri, Jul 5 2013 11:05 PM

Nancy ,Don't feel to bad I think of all the retreat I've been to I've finished maybe two .and they were both small. so WE may not be fast but we are good ..LOL  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Fri, Jul 5 2013 11:10 PM

Karen and Regina, I didn't get to mine  decided to do other things  Made two totes /purses instead .well post pics tomorrow , so I still need to do my second set.  Mine goes quick cause I use triangulations,  which  is paper piecing .  SO all I have to do is easy cut ,sew and press .

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,382
Points 24,135
Roxana replied on Sat, Jul 6 2013 1:47 PM

MNnancy:

Roxana:
The two patterns are put together quite differently.

I don't actually have the Tickled Pink pattern - wouldn't you know I let my McCall's subscription expire just as that issue came out.  Which method looks easiest to do, Roxana? If needed, I can buy the TP pattern online for download, or I could just lay it out on the design wall and assemble it from there.

Nancy, I'm sorry I am just now having the chance to respond.

You can see the Depression Quilt on Quilter's Cache and how it is put together. When I figured it for our size HSTs, I made 10" and 15" blocks and came out with a good result. You can see the whole pattern in one block and I like that. The Depression Quilt has no border and I like that too.

On the Tickled Pink, she has you putting her 2" finished squares together in 6" blocks and then joining 4 blocks to make a larger block. The blocks go different directions in each case. You form an X with the darks and lights within the four 6" blocks. You don't see the diamond until you add the second set of four 6" blocks together. I find it a little confusing. But it works. She also has two borders on her quilt with one of them being 4-3/4" (finished) wide.

Hope that helps!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,382
Points 24,135
Roxana replied on Sat, Jul 6 2013 1:54 PM

Here's the Depression Quilt I put together using our size HSTs and 15" square blocks. I used my EQ7 but plan to put it together like the depression block on Quilter's Cache if i go that way once I see all the HSTs on the other side of the swap. I may still go with a smaller version or something different all together! I'm new to EQ7... very new so I repeated lots of the colors but tried to make it a little scrappy as I did it so it doesn't look like ours will really look. Anyway, I'm playing with it and having fun. 

Page 11 of 26 (386 items) «Prev910111213Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use