HST Swap :Hostess Roxana

rated by 0 users
This post has 385 Replies | 24 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 79
Points 1,185
swedeami replied on Wed, Jun 12 2013 8:02 AM

if you go to fonsandporter.com, the offer is in a big block first thing on left side of screen.......however, being somewhat electronically challenged, i downloaded the book, but where do I go when i want to look at it again?  thanks for any help....

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,906
Points 33,150
Roxana replied on Wed, Jun 12 2013 8:19 AM

swedeami:

if you go to fonsandporter.com, the offer is in a big block first thing on left side of screen.......however, being somewhat electronically challenged, i downloaded the book, but where do I go when i want to look at it again?  thanks for any help....

It should be in your downloads folder. You can usually find it through your browser (Internet Explorer).

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,906
Points 33,150
Roxana replied on Wed, Jun 12 2013 9:01 AM

Caryl Anne:

Hi group, just thought I'd pop over and let y'all know what mess I made today. I love Kona solids & as a rule they are pretty straight. However , y'all know what a stickler I am when it comes to straightening the grain before cutting. OK well that said I was in a hurry this morning to cut some 2.5" solids so I pulled out the yard of butternut Kona and pressed out the center then just started cutting shoot me now!!! I have not one piece straight. They aren't off much but they are not straight, they wave a bit. once I press them and trim down to about 2" they will be OK for my tote pulls but not for anything else. I'll have to re cut my pieces for the tote bag straps. Just saying be careful with what you think is good off the bolt. SHOOT!!!

Thanks, CarylAnne for the reminder about squaring our fabric first. So important!
Thanks again.

• Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 79
Points 1,185
swedeami replied on Wed, Jun 12 2013 9:13 AM

thanks for the help......

• Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,594
Points 26,785
Debbie replied on Thu, Jun 13 2013 3:34 PM

just got back from Joanne's and they are having a huge sale, everything I bought was 50% off except one item and I had 50% off coupon for it.  bought some FQs, all fall colors for the 240 HSTs since I have very little fall fabric.  ready to start them but one more errand to run before I go back to work at 5:00.  Darn work, interferes with my sewing all the time.  oh, well - have to wait for Saturday.

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060

Debbie:

just got back from Joanne's and they are having a huge sale, everything I bought was 50% off except one item and I had 50% off coupon for it.  bought some FQs, all fall colors for the 240 HSTs since I have very little fall fabric.  ready to start them but one more errand to run before I go back to work at 5:00.  Darn work, interferes with my sewing all the time.  oh, well - have to wait for Saturday.

Hello Debbie, I was just at Joanns ysterday to purchase a few tools and my tote fabric for a customer. I truly hope you are not using the FQ that were on sale for 99 cents to make your HST. these fabrics are not quilt quality cottons. They are for crafting projects. Please don't spend your time on this fabric for anything quilt related. When you have time. you can read the fabric requirements information about thread count and cottons. Thanks have a great day.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,906
Points 33,150
Roxana replied on Sun, Jun 16 2013 5:27 PM

Caryl Anne:

... . You can read the fabric requirements information about thread count and cottons. Thanks have a great day.

Thanks, Caryl Anne, for the reminder that all HST's are to be made with Quilt Shop Quality fabrics for this fabric swap. We all agreed to that when we signed up for this swap. 

I repeat from the introduction: "All fabric must be quality, quilting fabric as specified on the pages of the Swap Group and should be tonal, mottled, stripes, patterns, or prints. Only one of your fabrics may be a solid if you want but it's not required." 

I also share this message from our Group Moderator, Barbara:

Barbara:

It has come to my attention that fabric cuts for the swaps are being off some again .I want everyone  especially all the newer members to double check the pages section of this group and read the information  regarding fabric cuts and quality  of fabric . This is very important information and if you feel you cannot abide by these simple requirements then do not join the swaps. Thanks. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact my thru private message .... Barbara

You may also contact me by PM or email or phone if you have a question. It is critical for the integrity of all swaps that you read and understand the Pages referenced in the introduction. The link to these pages has been listed more than once in this thread and is referenced in the quotes above. 
We all want this to be a good swap for everyone. 

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,594
Points 26,785
Debbie replied on Sun, Jun 16 2013 7:29 PM

Caryl Anne:
Hello Debbie, I was just at Joanns ysterday to purchase a few tools and my tote fabric for a customer. I truly hope you are not using the FQ that were on sale for 99 cents to make your HST. these fabrics are not quilt quality cottons. They are for crafting projects. Please don't spend your time on this fabric for anything quilt related. When you have time. you can read the fabric requirements information about thread count and cottons. Thanks have a great day.

Caryl Anne - you are so right, I discovered that a few were not very good quality but one or two are nice quilt quality.   will have to rethink this whole swap.  getting frustrated because I cut the wrong size last night and now have enough for a small quilt but not the swap. used the printed sheets yesterday and went pretty good except for taking off the paper, that's tedious.  sure glad we have till Sept!  

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,906
Points 33,150
Roxana replied on Sun, Jun 16 2013 8:11 PM

Debbie, when you were trying the paper method, did you decrease your stitch length? It helps in removing the paper.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,594
Points 26,785
Debbie replied on Sun, Jun 16 2013 9:01 PM

Roxana:
Debbie, when you were trying the paper method, did you decrease your stitch length? It helps in removing the paper.

Roxana - I thought I did but maybe not enough.  will decrease some more when I work on them again.  

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 247,949
Barbara replied on Mon, Jun 17 2013 8:27 AM

Debbie you need to make sure you  decrease your stitch  length .to at least 1.5  believe you me  it helps with removing the papers ..

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 247,949
Barbara replied on Mon, Jun 17 2013 9:14 AM

I also do want to let all of you know ,that you still also need to watch an feel and read about some of the fabric at the quilt shops as well . I have run into some places where I thought I was getting good QSQ fabric and it was terrible .  just don't take it for grant that just because it comes from a quilt shop it can't be crappy  fabric.  You have to read , feel, and look at your weaves and if you are unsure , then Don't buy it . go with your gut ..if it feels thin ,weak and easily pulls apart , its poor fabric  

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060
Caryl Anne replied on Mon, Jun 17 2013 11:20 AM

Debbie, when I was learning to do HST and QST they frustrated me as well, However, over the past several years I found that I use them in nearly every quilt I make. I look for the flying geese patterns and HST methods are used there as well. If you are practicing on the fabrics you recently purchased that is fine. When you have found the method you are going to use for our swap, you will want to buy a better thread count of fabric. You will find that stitching on high thread count fabric for the HST will go easier for you. I know this from over 25 years of experience in making tops. I will give you a wonderful use for those pieces that you are practicing on. make yourself a tote for when you go fabric shopping use the HST pieces to make a block or two and back them with iron on stabilizer, then use them framed for the outer pocket. Now, when you shop you will have a designated bag to place your lovelies into. Sew, now that you have a secondary reason to practice making your swap squares, you wont be so frustrated knowing that those pieces will not go to the waste bin. FYI I am using the tube method for mine.When I need a bunch  from one fabric set it is so very easy to do. You do not need a special ruler to do them if you try a strip set and cut with a angle ruler. Practice this method as well. Hope all this good information helps.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060
Caryl Anne replied on Mon, Jun 17 2013 12:08 PM

I should mention that  ALL Rulers are not created equal. I have a gazillion different rulers and templates in my arsenal. BUT I found that the majority are there taking up space on my ruler tamer or wood blocks. Hum it is all in the marketing. Anyway I have a few go to for ever thing and one of these is the EZ angle II ruler. Recently I placed the HST/QST from creative grids, on my to see list, only because my angle has some nicks in it from so much use. There are even tools for the sewing machine bed, I have the angler II from Pam Bono, she sews without any lines drawn and EVERY pattern she designs uses this tool. you can watch videos on her web page. There are two, that I know, new rulers that have only eighths printed on them, these rulers are specially designed to make our life easier when making HST and QST first cuts. I confess I don't use the angler II simply because I can't seem to concentrate on that darn line. OK I hope I have helped you if just a little bit to see the light at the end of the tunnel as far as these versatile units go. Oh maybe glow tape should be mentioned here as well as the Q tools. & the list goes on.. LMAO

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,594
Points 26,785
Debbie replied on Mon, Jun 17 2013 1:56 PM

Caryl Anne:
FYI I am using the tube method for mine.When I need a bunch  from one fabric set it is so very easy to do. You do not need a special ruler to do them if you try a strip set and cut with a angle ruler. Practice this method as well. Hope all this good information helps.

Caryl Anne - what is the tube method?  haven't heard this one -

Debbie (dear1953)  

Page 4 of 26 (386 items) «Prev23456Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use