HST Swap :Hostess Roxana

rated by 0 users
This post has 385 Replies | 24 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,732
Points 30,005
Roxana replied on Wed, Jun 5 2013 2:46 PM

I just found this site. It's an oldHST quilt-a-long but the ideas are fresh.

announcing modern half square triangle.html

Just thought I'd share!

• Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,440
Points 23,990
Debbie replied on Wed, Jun 5 2013 4:45 PM

Roxana:

Again, you may make your HST’s using any method (paper tools, rulers, etc.) you prefer as long as your finished, pressed squares measure 3".

The free HST paper PDF file can be found on the Web: http://www.quiltingandwhatnot.ca/Half-Square-Triangle.html

[/quote

]Roxanna - this does not have a finished 3" square, only goes up to 2.5"

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,669
Points 65,695
Bonita replied on Wed, Jun 5 2013 4:54 PM

Hi Roxana, if I'm not to late I'd like to join this one.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 539
Points 8,510
Joyce replied on Wed, Jun 5 2013 5:14 PM

Hi Roxana and everyone,  I have been reading about the HST swap and call me a dummy but exactly what is a HST.  I see above the finished block is 3".  Oh I also just saw the PDF file so I will pull that up and see if that explains it.

Thanks,

Joyce

Maryland

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,732
Points 30,005
Roxana replied on Wed, Jun 5 2013 5:25 PM

Debbie:

Roxana:

Again, you may make your HST’s using any method (paper tools, rulers, etc.) you prefer as long as your finished, pressed squares measure 3".

The free HST paper PDF file can be found on the Web: http://www.quiltingandwhatnot.ca/Half-Square-Triangle.html

[/quote

]Roxanna - this does not have a finished 3" square, only goes up to 2.5"

Debbie, I was confused to until I made a unit with the paper. A 2-1/2" HST finishes as a 3" square. It's very confusing but that is what happens. Think of it this way, it's a USEABLE 2-1/2" square that is created with the 2-1/2" HST methods. Useable means that the extra 1/2" seam allowance (1/4" all the way around) is included in the method. Good question as I am sure someone else may have wondered the same thing. Let me know if this doesn't clear it up for you (or anyone else).

• Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,732
Points 30,005
Roxana replied on Wed, Jun 5 2013 5:27 PM

Bonita:

Hi Roxana, if I'm not to late I'd like to join this one.

Bonita, you're not too late but you are #16 which completes the participant list. Please take time to read again all the information in the introductory material on page 1 and send me a friend request along with your personal information as listed in the requirements. Welcome to the group!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,732
Points 30,005
Roxana replied on Wed, Jun 5 2013 5:52 PM

Joyce:

Hi Roxana and everyone,  I have been reading about the HST swap and call me a dummy but exactly what is a HST.  I see above the finished block is 3".  Oh I also just saw the PDF file so I will pull that up and see if that explains it.

Thanks,

Joyce
Maryland

Joyce, I've copied and pasted the below information from About.com. Maybe this will help clear up the mystery on HST's.

Source: halfsquaretria.htm

Half square triangle units, sometimes called triangle squares or referred to as HSTs, are probably the most commonly used patchwork component. The units are squares made up of two triangles. Each triangle occupies half of the square's space, leading to the name half square triangle unit.

You can sew two triangles together to create a half square triangle unit, but it's easier, and usually more accurate, to use quick piecing techniques that eliminate the need to handle individual triangles with stretchy bias edges.

Quilters have developed several ways to make quick pieced half square triangle units, but my favorite is the method described in this tutorial. I call it the 'easy sandwich method,' because two squares of fabric are sandwiched and then sewn together along the diagonal. When cut apart, the sandwich produces two identical HSTs.

The sandwich method is a perfect technique to use when you're making a scrap quilt or need a few HST units in specific color combos -- it helps you make great use of fabric scraps or small yardages.

A way to check dimensions: the half square triangle units should be 1/2" wider and taller than their finished size. In other words, a 2-1/2" HST unit is actually 2-1/2" + 1/2" or 3" square.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 539
Points 8,510
Joyce replied on Wed, Jun 5 2013 6:13 PM

Roxana thank you so much that makes sense now.  I have made these in quilts just never heard them called HST's.  Now I need to go back and read your directions for the swap and see if I think I might be able to join that group.  Thanks again.  I'm a little slow on the uptake here sometimes but I will get there.

Joyce

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 448
Points 8,890
Judi replied on Wed, Jun 5 2013 6:23 PM

I love this. Just think of quilts using any of these blocks or combinations!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060

Hot dog Roxana, How exciting can you believe the great response you have filled your swap!! Yeah group for jumping on this new style swap. I have already been shopping for my fabric and I am ready to start as soon as graduation weekend is over.

Happy straight cuts Seaming and Trimming!! Don’t forget to true up your fabrics first, no since in adding stress over unnecessary bias in your strips or squares before sewing your HST.

I would like to say how important it is for swapers to read the pages of Fabrics Swaps, there is a lot of help to get the best results for fabric truing and cutting, pressing not ironing and other good information. There is an article on fabric choices for quilts & thead count.
Thanks Roxana!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,732
Points 30,005
Roxana replied on Thu, Jun 6 2013 12:34 PM

Thanks, CarlAnne, for the input. Reading the pages information from the Fabric Swaps is very important.

Because this swap filled up so quickly, we have opened a Second swap in case you are interested in participating in both. I'm looking for a large variety of fall HSTs or my project so I've signed myself up for both. They aren't due until September. Here's the link for the 2nd list. Hope to see some of you there!

2nd HST GROUP : HOSTESS ROXANA  

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060

Hi group, just thought I'd pop over and let y'all know what mess I made today. I love Kona solids & as a rule they are pretty straight. However , y'all know what a stickler I am when it comes to straightening the grain before cutting. OK well that said I was in a hurry this morning to cut some 2.5" solids so I pulled out the yard of butternut Kona and pressed out the center then just started cutting shoot me now!!! I have not one piece straight. They aren't off much but they are not straight, they wave a bit. once I press them and trim down to about 2" they will be OK for my tote pulls but not for anything else. I'll have to re cut my pieces for the tote bag straps. Just saying be careful with what you think is good off the bolt. SHOOT!!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,440
Points 23,990
Debbie replied on Tue, Jun 11 2013 10:39 PM

Did anyone else get an email from Fons and Porter with a FREE download, 24 pg book for pinwheel quilts.  great way to use all these HSTs we're swapping.  has 5 patterns in it.  

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 448
Points 8,890
Judi replied on Tue, Jun 11 2013 11:06 PM

No. I didn't get this!  Boo hoo!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 448
Points 8,890
Judi replied on Tue, Jun 11 2013 11:06 PM

No. I didn't get this!  Boo hoo!

Page 3 of 26 (386 items) Prev12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use