COLOR BOX BLOCK SWAP : Hostess Susie

rated by 0 users
This post has 114 Replies | 14 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,408
Points 19,580

Hi Susie,

I would love to do this block swap. I'd like to do the purple block. Do these all have to be solid colors?

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

• Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 223
Points 1,620
Sue Jones replied on Wed, Feb 27 2013 10:44 PM

I can only see a couple pages two - thought maybe we had to figure out the fabric for only 2 fabrics instead of three?

Sue J

Sue

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,760
Points 66,990
Bonita replied on Wed, Feb 27 2013 10:58 PM

Sue, here's page 3 and further down the page you can see other peoples blocks and they are all only two colors. Just click on their names.

http://www.quilterscache.com/M/MonkeyWrenchBlock_Page3.html

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,559
Points 23,645
Susie replied on Thu, Feb 28 2013 5:24 AM

Hi Ladies!  After reading all the questions and posts, I thought I would take a peek at the instructions again.  I've used so many of her patterns that I didn't think this one would be written any differently.  The one downside of her blocks is that she really doesn't give overall fabric requirements.

Yes, it's only a 2 color block. 

There are three pages of instructions.  The supplies for one block are listed on page 3 at the bottom.  To figure out what you need for the second solid color, use the same requirements for the first color.

Bonita--Amber has already chosen yellow.  Do you want to choose another color?  Here's what's available:  blue, green, silver, white, orange, cream, brown

You can use any fabric you would like--patterned, solid, etc.  The only picky part is the black has to either be a solid or a tone on tone black, just to keep the consistency.

I hope that helps clear up the questions.  If not, please let me know and I'll help out.  And a big Thank YOU to
Bonita for helping with the quilters cache site.

Chicagoland, Illinois

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,760
Points 66,990
Bonita replied on Thu, Feb 28 2013 6:19 AM

Susie:
Bonita--Amber has already chosen yellow.  Do you want to choose another color?  Here's what's available:  blue, green, silver, white, orange, cream, brown

Susie, I'll go with the green. I just picked yellow because I had some already. So green it will be.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060

Hey Susie and block builders, I hope you do not mind that I did this, I do not mean to step on any toes.
I looked over the instructions again and find it not challenging really, it is simply adding triangles to a 4 patch, building it as you would a log cabin. So I’ve done the math. Here is what you will need to cut.
 BTW, I measured several lines of solids and most are 44" useable after the selvage is cut away, however  two are 42" so I am using 42” for my calculations.

for each color, the same is needed: 1 yard of each fabric , straighten the grain and cut.
2X WOF 2-5/8" Subcut 12 5.25" rectangles
1X WOF 3-7/8" Subcut 10 squares (
note the final two will be cut from remaining 5.25" strip)
2X WOF 5-1/4" Subcut 12 squares
+ trim to cut two (2) 3-7/8" squares
2X WOF 6-7/8" Subcut 12 squares

I am planning on making this into a quilt for ME,, yippie! I have a yummy teal tonal to use as the fabric 1
Thanks Susie for letting me do this for your swap group.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,559
Points 23,645
Susie replied on Thu, Feb 28 2013 9:00 AM

Thanks, Caryl Anne!  I soo struggle with working out the details in my head.  My plan was to just get 2 yards of each and cut what I needed.  Then the rest would go in my scrap bin for the next Nana scrappy.

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 764
Points 9,979
Rhonnie replied on Thu, Feb 28 2013 10:59 AM

I am thinking I want to do this but I am scared if I mess it up someone will be unhappy. I have done things for me or my kids but never any type of quilting for the outside world......kids just like it cause mom did it. Is this a technical block or easily messed up? Please let me know your thoughts.

I'm a material girl....Want to see my fabric collection?

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,559
Points 23,645
Susie replied on Thu, Feb 28 2013 11:33 AM

Rhonnie,

My opinion is that as far as block go, this one looks way more complicated than it really is.  You take a four-patch for the center, and then add triangles one at a time.

Give it a shot!  The group is pretty forgiving for the newbies.  We all have to start somewhere, and this is a fun way to get your feet wet with some new things.  It's my second swap as host, and I love doing block exchanges.  I like the fabric swaps too, but the blocks are really more fun to me.

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 392
Points 4,900
Kristie replied on Fri, Mar 1 2013 3:25 PM

This should look really good with the blocks flowing together. :)  Thanks Susie!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,559
Points 23,645
Susie replied on Sun, Mar 3 2013 3:23 PM

OK ladies, I have had a request to bump the due date out because of vacations.  I am willing to do so...let's change it to mail by April 30th.  I'll update the information section as well.

I know when you look at the colors that there are two for the teal/turquoise.  I am allowing this because of the sheer amount of difference between teal and turquoise.  Sue J & Carylanne, please coordinate so that you have different shades.  The more colors we have in this quilt the more fabulous and fun it will end up.

We still have room for 3 more people. Colors left:  blue, silver, white, cream & brown.  If someone would like to join in and share a color, please coordinate with the person already in that spot to make sure there is a good contrast.  For example, if two people would like to use purple, one can be dark and one more lilac.  We really want to keep up the contrast between all the blocks.

If I have missed anyone, please let me know!

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060

Hi Susie, I am sorry but I think there was a misunderstanding I am doing this pattern for a throw for my home, but I don't have a need for a black base, I am using the fabric in the photo above with a very yummy soft turquoise, I was just helping out with the requirements. Sorry for the blooper on my part.

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 130
thistle replied on Sun, Mar 3 2013 4:09 PM

Hi Sue,

I would like to be added to this swap and I could take the blue.

thistle

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,836
Points 31,995
Roxana replied on Sun, Mar 3 2013 4:22 PM

I'd like to join in the block swap.
Roxana

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,559
Points 23,645
Susie replied on Sun, Mar 3 2013 4:29 PM

Caryl Anne--My mistake :)  I'll get it updated.

Roxanne--what color do you want to choose?

Chicagoland, Illinois

Page 2 of 8 (115 items) Prev12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use