rated by 0 users
This post has 333 Replies | 21 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,682
Points 65,865
Bonita replied on Wed, Jan 30 2013 7:04 PM

Judy T-Bellingham:

I've only made one block so far. This weekend I plan to cut out and construct a couple more. 

I've got about half of the componets for the blocks done. Still need to pick a color for the block for them to go on. Good thing we've got a few months left.

• Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 655
Points 16,585

I'm impressed with those who are already cutting and sewing .  I'm still dithering with the pattern.  I did find some fabulous "Texas" fabric the other day, but every pattern I've looked at so far doesn't quite go with the fabric.  I think part of the problem is I'm determined to have a star, and that means cutting the fabric into small pieces than the design is good for.  So I may have to scrap my star idea.  But how can I make a block to represent the "Lone Star State" without a star?  Oh, decisions, decisions.  At first I felt 6 months was too long, now I wonder if it will be long enough?  <grin>

Brigit-Carol

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,468
Points 116,720

Brigit-Carol:
At first I felt 6 months was too long, now I wonder if it will be long enough?  <grin>

It will come together Brigit. At first I was reluctant to allow so much time, 6 months, as it seems like it was too long and I was afraid interest would phase out. But deciding on a design and then making the blocks does take time and there is so much going on that's it's good we can spread it out.

I did get the various components all cut out and put in a baggie, so I'm committed to the design I selected. Now it's on a shelf while I work on more pressing things.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020
Judy T I have had my pattern selected from the beginning and thought I had the fabric. But if the next six months go anything like this last 6 months I am going to need every bit! LOL

MelodyP

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,468
Points 116,720

MelodyP MO/KS:
Judy T I have had my pattern selected from the beginning and thought I had the fabric. But if the next six months go anything like this last 6 months I am going to need every bit! LOL

Don't sweat it Melody. You have time. Of course, all of a sudden I'm going to look at the calendar and it will be nearly July!  I was going to bring the pieces to Branson and piece together the backgrounds but decided to work on them at home.

Not Ranked
Posts 33
Points 510
PalmaRama replied on Mon, Feb 11 2013 3:54 PM

I am planning and planning my blocks and doing lots of drawing and pattern making because I want to represent the great beautiful state of Colorado apropriately.

so excited and I will finish on time!!

Jen Palmarama

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,468
Points 116,720

PalmaRama:

I am planning and planning my blocks and doing lots of drawing and pattern making because I want to represent the great beautiful state of Colorado apropriately.

so excited and I will finish on time!! Jen Palmarama

Hey, Jen.  Thanks for checking in. I'm excited about seeing the beautiful state of Colorado block!  And, it is a beautiful state. 

I think this is just going to be such an awesome exchange!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,469
Points 362,052
Kris replied on Mon, Feb 11 2013 7:30 PM

I've scrapped every idea I've had so far. I bought fabric and no longer like it. I know something will click but I hope it's soon.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,468
Points 116,720

Kris:

I've scrapped every idea I've had so far. I bought fabric and no longer like it. I know something will click but I hope it's soon.

If anyone has a problem coming up with an idea for their block just get some fabric that represents your state (bird, flower, color) and make a 9 patch, star block, something simple. Or make a pieced block of your state flag.

Or, in Kris's case, just a block showing a huge mound of snow. (snicker, grin, belly laugh)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,469
Points 362,052
Kris replied on Mon, Feb 11 2013 8:13 PM

Judy T-Bellingham:
Or, in Kris's case, just a block showing a huge mound of snow. (snicker, grin, belly laugh)

Har de har har Judy. LOL The thought did cross my mind.

I want to incorporate the state's coast line, lobsters and blueberries. I was thinking an appliqué scene and using blueberry fabric for background. I'm just not doing well with the landscape.

I'm trying to learn more about the state as well since I'm not a native.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,468
Points 116,720

Kris, I like your ideas much better than a large snowbank.

Stay warm, dry and stocked up on ice cream for your hubby. I would say the man is certifiable but I can understand that craving for ice cream.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,469
Points 362,052
Kris replied on Tue, Feb 12 2013 12:52 AM

Thanks Judy.

DH is set for ice cream (he bought three different kinds on Saturday).

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Wed, Feb 13 2013 8:16 AM

Judy,

I have finally decided on the block I will make.  I'm afraid it's not too elaborate and I'm pretty sure I will be making the same block for all of them, maybe varying the colors a bit.  I'm not sure if it's supposed to be a surprise so I won't say more, but if I can run it by you, Judy, maybe you can tell me if you think it will work...

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,468
Points 116,720

Annie:
I'm afraid it's not too elaborate and I'm pretty sure I will be making the same block for all of them,

Annie, I received a PM from one member who was concerned about just the opposite, that her block was too involved and might not fit in with the rest. I think this is a good chance to repeat what I told her.

In my opinion, having a variety of blocks that are very different in color and patterns will make this quilt a beautiful representation of the real states. This is why I'm so excited about seeing the blocks and putting them together in a quilt.

Whether simple with soft colors or complex with bright colors; they will ALL work.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 889
Points 16,535

Well my Oklahoma blocks are simple in design & I'm using some leftover Civil War Fabrics that fit the Oklahoma Sooner/Boomer. I agree with Judy that the variety in the blocks will be a beautiful representation of the states represented.  I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone's blocks look like.

• Post Points: 5
Page 7 of 23 (334 items) «Prev56789Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use