State Block Swap : Hostess Judy

rated by 0 users
This post has 333 Replies | 21 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 195
Points 2,500

I think I know what material and what pattern I want to use and do and then I see something else I want to do.  I will get it figured out soon.  This is the fun of it for me.  The sky is the limit.  OH decisions, decisions......I love it.

Karen Hollis

Texas girl

• Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 195
Points 2,500

Judy, I like this idea. Posting pictures takes the surprise out of it.  I love teasing.  LOL  Since Texas is known as "Big", then shall I say, I will have the biggest block and it is beautiful, that is when I figure it out.  I actually have had some material specially ordered for my by my local quilt shop.  I think it is awesome.  I am sure you all will love it.

Karen Hollis

Texas Girl

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,927
Points 125,065

Karen Hollis:
I actually have had some material specially ordered for my by my local quilt shop.  I think it is awesome.  I am sure you all will love it.

Looking forward to it Karen. I am so anxious for all the blocks to arrive. Six months to go! I did make one practice block and like the way it turned out. Now I can relax and just make a couple a month. The time will go fast. It will be like Christmas in July when those blocks start arriving and I get to divide them up send them back.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,035
Points 369,017
Kris replied on Tue, Jan 15 2013 7:10 PM

Judy T-Bellingham:
If we end up with fewer than twelve I have a suggestion so we don't have to cancel the swap, especially if some have made their blocks. Let's do the swap even if we have only 9, 10 or 11 participants.

I'm OK with that Judy.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,895
Points 69,215
Bonita replied on Tue, Jan 15 2013 8:30 PM

Ok, with me too. Judy.I keep changing my mind on what I want to do.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,927
Points 125,065

I have one opening in the State Block Swap. I did sent a message to Jen -Palma Rama, as she was at the top of the waiting list. But haven't heard back from her.

Jen, if you are still interested send me a PM please. If I don't hear from you by Friday, Jolene is waiting in the wings to take the spot.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,927
Points 125,065

OK, the swap is full again, Jen replied and is joining us for the swap. Jen, I forgot to ask you, what state will you be representing?

Not Ranked
Posts 33
Points 510
PalmaRama replied on Wed, Jan 16 2013 4:44 PM

Colorful Colorado!!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,927
Points 125,065

PalmaRama:

Colorful Colorado!!!

Yea!! Rocky Mountain High. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,927
Points 125,065

I'm copying the information below as posted by Caryl Anne.  The only issue I see with our swap is I wasn't going to be collecting postage. Instead you guys will be sending your blocks in an envelope and including a 2nd postage paid envelope with your return address.  I don't think the envelope shown on the postal website will accomodate a 2nd envelope. We usually use the floppies.

Just note that if you want to buy before the 27th to mail after the 27th, you have to buy the prepaid envelopes/boxes with FOREVER postage.  There are also regular prepaid boxes/envelopes with regular postage and those will NOT work if mailed after the 27th.  

Not all post offices are stocking the prepaid forever packaging - mine is not and does not plan to - but you can order online if you want to order at least 5.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,927
Points 125,065

Just thought I'd jiggle your cages a bit. I'm including below the list of participants. I've also included updated guidelines. I made one block and decided I'm happy with it. So now just to make 11 more. 

1. Judy T (me) - Washington State
  2. Melody - Kansas
  3. Brigit - Texas
  4. Mimi - PA
  5. Mercy - Minnesota
  6. Bonita - Florida
  7. Karen H - Texas
  8. Frannye - Maryland
  9. Kris - Maine
  10. Jen(PalaRama) - Colorado
  11. Annie - California-San Diego
  12. 12. Patricia - Oklahoma

State Block Swap Guidelines

1. Blocks are to be completed and in the mail by July 8th.
  2.  If everyone completes their 12 blocks before six months, we’ll complete the swap earlier and I’ll PM everyone my mailing address.
  3. When you mail me your blocks, please include a postage paid return envelope and be sure your name and mailing address are on it.
  4. More than one person from a state may participate.
  5. We all know “things” happen, but please don’t sign up unless you are reasonably certain you will be able to complete the swap.
  6. If someone wants to be on a waiting list and make blocks, just in case someone drops out, that’s fine with me.

Details:

1. Size:  14-1/2” unfinished.
  2. Anything from your state or region. Examples would be a state bird, animal, event, landmark, state flag, event, etc.
  3. You will make 12 blocks. They may all be the same or all different. But all must represent some area of your state and be 14-1/2” square unfinished.
  4. Blocks may be pieced, appliqued, embroidered, paper pieced, whatever is your preference. There are no color restrictions.
  5. Attach something to each block, such as a post-it-note, with an explanation such as “Orca Whale, Washington State”. (No, this is not what I'm making! LOL) This is so everyone knows what state the block represents.
  6. When everyone has sent me 12 blocks, I'll have them back in the mail within a couple days. Except, I will be out of town July 11-15th so it may be the 16th before they are mailed, depending on when I receive all of them.

I hope this makes sense. I want it to be fun for everyone. Let me know if you have any questions.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 735
Points 18,400

Judy - thanks for the reminder about postage.  I hadn't thought of buying some forever pre-paid envelopes.  Since I'm involved in four or five swaps a year that makes a lot of sense.  I'm still dithering with block style and fabrics.  I might end up ordering something special as well as all I have right now is bluebonnet fabric (State flower). 

Brigit-Carol

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Wed, Jan 30 2013 8:15 AM

Judy T-Bellingham:

I'm copying the information below as posted by Caryl Anne.  The only issue I see with our swap is I wasn't going to be collecting postage. Instead you guys will be sending your blocks in an envelope and including a 2nd postage paid envelope with your return address.  I don't think the envelope shown on the postal website will accomodate a 2nd envelope. We usually use the floppies.

Just note that if you want to buy before the 27th to mail after the 27th, you have to buy the prepaid envelopes/boxes with FOREVER postage.  There are also regular prepaid boxes/envelopes with regular postage and those will NOT work if mailed after the 27th.  

Not all post offices are stocking the prepaid forever packaging - mine is not and does not plan to - but you can order online if you want to order at least 5.

Wait, I'm confused.  Can I just buy 2 of the same ordinary large bubble package envelop and put the same postage amount on my self stamped one and put it in the other containing the fabric????

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,927
Points 125,065

Annie:
Wait, I'm confused.  Can I just buy 2 of the same ordinary large bubble package envelop and put the same postage amount on my self stamped one and put it in the other containing the fabric????

Yes, that's right. Weigh your fabrics and both envelopes. Use that amount of postage on both.

Don't want to confuse you Annie. Mostly what the postage notice was referring to applied mostly to those who pay the swap host for postage and don't have to send a stamped, self addressed envelope.  This is my first time hosting a swap, so I'm flying by the seat of my pants. But I prefer to have everyone send the stamped. addressed envelope for me to use to return the blocks.

I've only made one block so far. This weekend I plan to cut out and construct a couple more. 

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Wed, Jan 30 2013 1:40 PM

Thanks for the clarification.  I know what it's like to host a swap for the first time. 

I haven't even though about this swap yet.  Need to look for some ideas.....

Page 6 of 23 (334 items) «Prev45678Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use