I will make California blocks. San Diego theme

thats great!  Thanks Annie. 

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 653
Points 16,575

So the gang's all here?  Great!  Being a newbie for a swap on this forum do we post pics as we go along or are our creations a surprise to the recipients?  I haven't started yet, although I have chosen the block design and focus fabric (Texas bluebonnets). 

Brigit-Carol

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,391
Points 115,420

Belfrybat:

So the gang's all here?  Great!  Being a newbie for a swap on this forum do we post pics as we go along or are our creations a surprise to the recipients?  I haven't started yet, although I have chosen the block design and focus fabric (Texas bluebonnets).

Brigit. That's a good question. What does everyone think? Do we want to post blocks as we go along? Or, do we want it to be a big surprise. I'm of two minds. Surprises are fun and exciting. But by posting blocks we keep the excitement and momentum going. Otherwise, since this is a long 6 month swap, it may craaawwl down to a slooow walk.

So weigh in everyone. We'll go with the majority.

• Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,391
Points 115,420

I am starting on the block this weekend. I'm still not sure if I'll do one theme or several. I have several different ideas but will start with the simplest first.

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020
Belfrybat, Blue bells are so pretty. That will be pretty in a block. Judy T- Here's my 2 cents, post pictures of progress. My pattern is, of course, a Sunflower. The block, The Douglas County Sunflower was created for the 1983 Quilt Show by Mare Ragle, so I thought it would be perfect for this swap. It has a lot of pieces, but I think once the first block is done the rest should go better. I may be dreaming too but thank goodness there is plenty of time.

MelodyP

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 195
Points 2,500

I am an easy person but I love the surprise of them all.  I vote for it all to be a surprise and was going to suggest that maybe everyone write a little something about the history of the block they are doing.  I scrapbook and I think that would be an awesome thing to do.  Just an opinion.  I am in for what everyone votes on.  I can't promise I will get pictures of mine on here.  I don't have a lot of extra time to do that, but I will be a team player, I will do my best.  Happy Days everyone and God Bless each of you.

Karen Hollis

Texas Girl

• Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060

I agree with both sides a surprise with notations about the block is fun, however with this being an ongoing project 6 months we may get stale.
I like having spotting & sightings to keep us all inspired.

I have my first fabric chosen, the block name is Sunshine, and Shadows, as NV is a varied state in both great Sunshine colors and LOOOONG dark Shadows. The many meadows, valleys and mountain ranges are represented in the light and darks of the block. I am very excited to be doing this state.
So I guess my vote is to post as you need; to get inspired more, or perhaps you become discouraged we can hold you up by your britches..
oh and FYI MelodyP Belfrybat is doing BLUEBONNETS not the BlueBell. Blue Bell is our state ice cream.. That is a fact.. lol

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,391
Points 115,420

MelodyP MO/KS:
Belfrybat, Blue bells are so pretty. That will be pretty in a block. Judy T- Here's my 2 cents, post pictures of progress. My pattern is, of course, a Sunflower. The block, The Douglas County Sunflower was created for the 1983 Quilt Show by Mare Ragle, so I thought it would be perfect for this swap. It has a lot of pieces, but I think once the first block is done the rest should go better. I may be dreaming too but thank goodness there is plenty of time.

Blue bells, sunflowers, sounding great so far.  I will be so excited to see the first blocks posted. Of course, I could be getting ahead of myself as only a few have weighed in with their opinion of whether to post or not post. It does look like popular opinion is leaning towards posting blocks. Am I trying to tilt the scale here? Yup.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,391
Points 115,420

Karen Hollis:
I vote for it all to be a surprise and was going to suggest that maybe everyone write a little something about the history of the block they are doing.  I scrapbook and I think that would be an awesome thing to do. 

Karen, what a great idea. At least, like I mentioned in the outline,  I'd like everyone to attach a note to your blocks stating what it is and represents. Go into as much detail as you wish.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,391
Points 115,420

Caryl Anne:
I have my first fabric chosen, the block name is Sunshine, and Shadows, as NV is a varied state in both great Sunshine colors and LOOOONG dark Shadows. The many meadows, valleys and mountain ranges are represented in the light and darks of the block. I am very excited to be doing this state

Caryl Anne, it sounds beautiful. These blocks are all going to be so unique.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020
Blue Bonnet ice cream has even made it as fare as Kansas and it's mmmmmmmm goooooooood! but very diffrent from Blue bells One is either way it's all good!lol

MelodyP

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,408
Points 40,125
Mimi replied on Thu, Jan 10 2013 8:22 PM

Judy T-Bellingham:
So weigh in everyone. We'll go with the majority.

It doesn't matter either way to me Judy T.  I like surprises and I like the idea of keeping up the momentum.  So count me as a definite maybe on revealing the blocks.  LOL

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,394
Points 360,987
Kris replied on Thu, Jan 10 2013 8:56 PM

Judy T-Bellingham:
What does everyone think? Do we want to post blocks as we go along? Or, do we want it to be a big surprise.

I prefer no photos.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,391
Points 115,420

Since we've had at least couple folks prefer no photos, here's what I suggest to keep interest up. As you decide on designs, fabrics, colors, whatever, post something that may describe a piece of it; like a teaser. Maybe something like "I found the best fabric for the green hairy critter on my block" or "I just finished the first block and the purple people eater really describes my state". 

I think this might be more fun than pictures. Keep everyone guessing what you are making by giving little hints at topic or fabric.

• Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020
JudyT Sounds like fun!

MelodyP

Page 4 of 23 (334 items) «Prev23456Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use