SWAP IDEAS

rated by 0 users
This post has 966 Replies | 64 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060
Caryl Anne replied on Tue, Apr 15 2014 4:47 PM | Locked

I've just found the media from last year . There were two groups group one was 10 participants and BTW it was FQ and JR combo not LC. the second group was 8 participants. here is the media from last year. Only one fabric was not exactly a floral. so if a FQ is what y'all want we can do as we did last year and open it for one 4 yards of fabric  16 participants FQ. no jelly roll.  or same 4 yards with 12 participants with a FQ and a JR strip.

• Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 872
Points 14,965
Marlabartlett60 replied on Tue, Apr 15 2014 4:53 PM | Locked

I vote LC and JR match up, does this mean one LC and 1 jR of the same fabric? That's how I am reading it, if so I like the idea!  Florals are great, some were inquiring about oriental fabric swap too, would oriental florals be acceptable also?  Just trying to get a clear picture.

MODESTO, CA.
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 872
Points 14,965
Marlabartlett60 replied on Tue, Apr 15 2014 4:58 PM | Locked

Oops  we must have posted at the same time, sorry.   I understand. .I like the LC and JR idea too! 

MODESTO, CA.
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 170
Points 3,110
Carmel replied on Wed, Apr 16 2014 5:10 AM | Locked

Thanks Candis:

Macungie, PA

• Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 872
Points 14,965
Marlabartlett60 replied on Wed, Apr 16 2014 1:52 PM | Locked

Carmel :

Thanks Candis:

Your very welcome!

MODESTO, CA.
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 355
Points 27,285
Darlene replied on Wed, Apr 16 2014 9:21 PM | Locked

I have been quilting for over 10 years and have been a member here for three years.  I have been subscribed to this group for some time but have not joined a swap for fear of failure to meet the standards. 

I am not a traditional quilter by nature.  I tend to lean toward crazy quilting which is much more forgiving regarding corners.  I am beginning to do some traditional blocks and have successfully completed star blocks with nice points but know that it was sheer luck.  I still have a long way to go before I would feel proficient.

Having said all that, I can tell you that lurking and watching this group has not encouraged me to want to jump into a swap. 

The squabbling about people being late and sending in pieces which are less than perfect have encouraged me to continue to sit back and not participate.  In fact, there have been days when I don't even read the posts which come to my e-mail because I don't want to be brought down by the less than positive words.

Sorry to be Debbie Downer, but I felt that you all needed to know that the lack of participation in this group may not all be because of the issues with the site.

I know that this group was a fun group to participate in when I first joined QCA and I hope that it can be again.

Best of luck.

Darlene

from Western New York

• Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 170
Points 3,110
Carmel replied on Thu, Apr 17 2014 5:21 PM | Locked

I was thinking that maybe we could do a swap of candle mats, maybe 12 each with 6 for Thanksgiving theme and 6 for Christmas.

I recently joined this swap group and I feel that everyone has been extremely helpful and very nice to meet.

Looking forward to the next swap that I can participate in

Macungie, PA

• Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 529
Points 10,415
Judi replied on Thu, Apr 17 2014 8:32 PM | Locked

I like the idea of candle mats but I wouldn't want to make 6 and six but perhaps do as we did with the mug rugs.  What about a seasonal candle mat?  

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 222
Points 3,640
klaynegrimm replied on Thu, Apr 17 2014 9:42 PM | Locked

I also like the idea of candle mats to swap if the time to complete them is something I think I can get 12 done I would love to take part. Anything over 12 and I would have a hard time to meet a deadline unless it was a little longer. I also like the idea of a calendar swap. I think it makes it easier when we can use the stash we have and only buy minimum, 

Kerry G

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,577
Points 246,557
Thea replied on Fri, Apr 18 2014 8:31 AM | Locked

Can someone please describe a candle mat to me - is it similar to a mug rug - what distinguishes the differences between them... I am still unable to join in  in any of the swaps - I would sincerely hate to disappoint anyone and never know when I am able to sew crazy like I have been or if it will be months that my sewing machine sits still... 

But that being said - please explain to me the difference and what a candle mat is... do you use special batting or fire proof them in some way?

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,579
Points 23,985
Susie replied on Fri, Apr 18 2014 9:26 AM | Locked

Darlene :

Having said all that, I can tell you that lurking and watching this group has not encouraged me to want to jump into a swap. 

The squabbling about people being late and sending in pieces which are less than perfect have encouraged me to continue to sit back and not participate.  In fact, there have been days when I don't even read the posts which come to my e-mail because I don't want to be brought down by the less than positive words.

Darlene--Please do not let our discussion keep you away.  There have certainly been issues in the past that have been resolved.  The discussion that we were having stemmed from the lack of communication due to the site being unavailable to us.  It's really hard to keep on top of a swap that is in process when you lose the ability to communicate with the participants.

I have had TREMENDOUS fun with the swaps I have been part of, and have had few issues with them.  Sure, there may be someone running late for one reason or another.  Or someone's stitching isn't as "perfect" as the next.  But we none of us are perfect and sometimes we just have to be reminded of that when we get too critical.  It used to be that any issue with someone's work was brought up on the board for everyone to see.  Turned me off swaps for a while, too. 

But Roxana and Barbara have done a SUPERB job in turning it around and setting basic guidelines for swaps.  The rest of the "rules" are swap specific.  Unfortunately, sometimes the discussion on how to make things better brings up issues in the past that the newer members weren't a party to.  Truly, the only reason they are brought up is to ensure that we are covering all our bases in the basic rules so that the new quilters have good guidelines to follow.

Please take a chance on one of the fabric swaps that seem to be getting ready to take off.  The fabric swaps are a GREAT way to get to know the others.  The block and project exchanges will come as you become more comfortable with your quilting abilities.

Please come and play with us!  We love sharing with new people!

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 192
Points 3,265
hhhdmh replied on Fri, Apr 18 2014 9:38 AM | Locked

Hi Darlene,

I was afraid of swapping when I read the guidelines, but then I jumped in with both feet and we will see if my blocks are up to code. If not hopefully someone will gently tell me what I did wrong so I can fix it. I hope you will join in on some swaps.

God Bless

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 170
Points 3,110
Carmel replied on Fri, Apr 18 2014 1:41 PM | Locked

Thea:

A candle mat is just about the same as a mug rug, only the size is usually different and mostly they are made round. I like the dresden style. There are many candle mat patterns on Bing or Google. Not much on You Tube. Batting is the same, cotton .

Macungie, PA

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 170
Points 3,110
Carmel replied on Fri, Apr 18 2014 1:42 PM | Locked

Judi, I saw that you mentioned making seasonal candle mats that is a great idea.

Macungie, PA

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 872
Points 14,965
Marlabartlett60 replied on Fri, Apr 18 2014 2:17 PM | Locked

Judi, I too like the Seasonal Candle Mats or Holiday specific ones whatever! I would love to participate, candle mats to me could be more decorative as long as there is a level  space in the middle.   Sounds Fun!    Just need a hostess with the mostess!   

MODESTO, CA.
Page 60 of 65 (967 items) «Prev5859606162Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use