rated by 0 users
This post has 966 Replies | 64 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 30,545
Debbie replied on Mon, Apr 7 2014 6:06 PM | Locked

Phyllis:

I apologize for the lateness of my swaps but I cannot apologize for giving my father the care that he needed and deserved.

Phyllis - and you shouldn't have to apologize for being a caring daughter.  Life happens to all of us and we don't know what others are going thru so let's be patient, loving, kind, and understanding. 

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,225
Points 38,470
Roxana replied on Mon, Apr 7 2014 7:26 PM | Locked

When I talked about "standards," I was talking about the information that it is in the pages. The quality of fabric, the straightening of fabric, etc. ... I have learned so much from those pages. The ones with my name on them are simply rewrites or a collaboration with several other swappers.

I am no expert by any means. I was just throwing out things to get us talking about it. I'm not saying we have to have penalties. I think Kathy first suggested that. .... By mentioning it though, you all have contributed beautifully well thought out responses. I'm so grateful for all the input.

I've received several excellent and poor quality blocks, etc., in the swaps and have just tossed the poor ones, and, yes, Debbie, I have learned from the excellent ones. I've also learned by being criticized by others who let me know more about quarter inch seams and how to do bindings and such. But as a hostess, I have had to return items too. In the HST swap, one swapper sent in HST's that weren't cut or were all too small. I personally went through them to find the good ones and offered to help her --- all through private mail or conversation. She opted not to correct her mistakes. That was her choice but I offered to help. So by standards, I guess I am also talking about the guidelines that are set forth by the hostess. As in the HST swap, we were looking for a particular size HST, not ones that hadn't been squared up at all. Does that makes sense? I'm not talking about perfection but I am talking about someone trying to meet the guidelines and being open to redoing what isn't.

I do think that participants should print out the requirements for the swap and refer to it often. I think better communication would help. I also think that if life happens, then notify the hostess when you have a chance or be honest with her when she reaches you. I know that sometimes life happens to the point that the last thing one may think of is a swap. They just may not have time to think about it. I know some I have contacted have been that way. They've chosen what to do at that point and more often than not, we have had swaps completed without all the participants.

ABSOLUTELY none of this conversation that we are having is directed at any one person so please don't take anything personally. Swaps should be fun but the guidelines are there for a reason. Let's not ignore them. Only we know our limitations and sometimes it takes being overwhelmed to realize them. I know that too.

And, Phyllis, I agree with Debbie that you shouldn't apologize for your time with your father. That's more important than anything.

I guess I have talked in circles and I'm not sure if I have made any sense at all. I just want to have fun.

• Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 611
Points 9,745
Joyce replied on Tue, Apr 8 2014 7:38 AM | Locked

Roxana  I want to respond to your last post about being a hostess and also the swapers (not sure that is a word).  I participated in the HST and was terrified that I would do a terrible job.  But several regulars reached out and helped/walked me thru and I learned so much from it.  YOu even sent me your phone # and chatted with me.  Barbara sent me paper HST to help get the correct size and someone else told me about a site to print out the paper HST's to use.  I threw away a lot of mistakes I made but it had been suggested to buy extra fabric to cover mistakes and boy was I happy that I did.  But in the end they all turned out the correct size.  The ones that were slightly off I kept for another project of my own.  I was very pleased with all the different fabrics & colors that I received back.  

I just want to say thank you to all the ones that have been a hostess and put up with beginners like me and walked us thru the process.  You do a great job.  Also gals that just chat with us and give suggestions as to where we can go to watch a video or UTube to help.  I can't tell you how many times I use that.  

A big thank you and have a wonderful day.

Joyce

from Maryland

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 611
Points 9,745
Joyce replied on Tue, Apr 8 2014 7:45 AM | Locked

Phyllis  I want to say you are a good person to be so caring to your dad.  I took care of my mom in my home for 2 years after she broke her hip.  She also had Alzheimer's and in the last few months it was very rough and I too had to put her in a nursing home.  I felt terrible about doing that but had no choice as I could no longer take care of her at home.  She went to Heaven last March 2013 and I miss her something awful but know that we are all more peaceful.  Bless you for taking care and loving your dad.  Quilting time will come soon enough.  Sew when you can even if for 5 min.  Mom would come sit on the bed in my sewing room and talk to me while I did sewing.  Now I remember her every time I sit down there to work on a project.  

Joyce

Maryland 

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 130
Points 800
Jeanne Mahlke replied on Tue, Apr 8 2014 11:16 AM | Locked

I have read everyone's input and think it is healthy to air our feelings. I was involved in two Round Robins and a pillowcase exchange. My observations were that the "seasoned" quilters weren't as good as they thought they were. I repaired several places where the bottom fabric had slid and even though it looked like a quarter inch seam on the top, it didn't even catch on the bottom. The reverse of that was one of the ladies noticed that I had done the same thing on one of mine and asked if she could fix it. None of us are perfect. When one of the RRs were slowing down, I was afraid that someone wouldn't get their quilt on time. I asked if I could sew for one of my teammates. I am retired and they both work full time and had health issues. They bought the fabric and I did the sewing, no problem. Just keep in touch with each other or the moderator. I do think it is important to follow the rules, and if you have a vacation planned, planning to move, surgery scheduled, or some other life event, don't join a group. Another will come along when you are able. All of the swaps always sound so fun and enticing, but I have so many projects started that I just cannot start another thing right now. That is what causes stress, and I have found that there is something really satisfying about completing a project. The pillowcase exchange was sort of disappointing because the person didn't look at the video and sew "french seams" and it was really late, but the fabrics she picked were beautiful. I assumed she got behind or had something come up and had to hurry. If she would have just communicated to the monitor, I would have waited even longer. The important thing is to read the rules and follow them, but lets not ban people. Maybe we need a swap just for procrastinators with no time limit. lol

To wrap this novel up, I love what was said about being kind to each other and that this is fun. I love QCA and even if I am not currently in a swap, I like reading about each of you. Many thanks to the volunteers that keep us on track and sewing straight.

Jeanne

Round Rock, TX

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 737
Points 13,845
Judi replied on Tue, Apr 8 2014 2:02 PM | Locked

I think we need to add pages that clearly explain what some terms actually mean.  We can add a link to a tutorial or a YouTube video.

My pillowcases also came without French Seams. I just redid them, but I confess to having a brief moment of, well, not happy.  I think the issue is that everyone just assumes that we ate speaking the same language.  I know that I should have been clearer and also more precise when I was a hostess.  I think we need to  let another read our guidelines so we can correct and fix them so that someone else understands them!  

Let's try to be more understanding and welcoming. 

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,330
Points 18,765
erindipity replied on Wed, Apr 9 2014 7:31 AM | Locked

Phyllis - I want you to know that in no way, shape or form, was my message directed at you.  I've never had any dealings with you and I admire you for stepping up and taking care of your father.  Both of my parents passed away quickly, but if they were alive and needed me I'd be doing exactly what you're doing. Good luck -

Piece, Love, Quilt

• Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 875
Points 14,775
Marlabartlett60 replied on Wed, Apr 9 2014 10:19 AM | Locked

I am hoping once QCA IS BACK FULLY,  and everyone has no difficulty getting on this site anymore, that we can have a full variety of swaps to chose from . Just like the good old days.   I for one, would love to participate in more pillowcase swaps,  mug rug swaps,   Wall hanging swap, more block swaps, some non sewing swaps., fabric exchanges,  maybe even new things that members can think of for new, exciting swaps.   I love seeing others creativity, I also like in fabric swaps building up my stash of all different  colors, or designs .  I'm looking forward to moving on, and getting back to having fun and resume building friendships.  

MODESTO, CA.
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 875
Points 14,775
Marlabartlett60 replied on Wed, Apr 9 2014 10:26 AM | Locked

Roxana I really like the idea of  a large print fabric exchange like you said, with a pattern included.  Or a stack and whack exchange, that would be an awesome scrappy, crazy quilt. We could chose a theme like flowers, or a specific color palette ,    We could do applique blocks,   Or so many possibilities.  Any body else with great ideas to do one day?  We could keep a list on here maybe.  Just thinking out loud!

MODESTO, CA.
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,888
Points 142,135
Judy T-Bellingham replied on Wed, Apr 9 2014 10:28 AM | Locked

Candis :

I am hoping once QCA IS BACK FULLY,  and everyone has no difficulty getting on this site anymore, that we can have a full variety of swaps to chose from . Just like the good old days.  ......I'm looking forward to moving on, and getting back to having fun and resume building friendships.  

Couldn't agree more.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 664
Points 16,545
Zsofia replied on Wed, Apr 9 2014 6:11 PM | Locked

Candis :

Roxana I really like the idea of  a large print fabric exchange like you said, with a pattern included.  Or a stack and whack exchange, that would be an awesome scrappy, crazy quilt. We could chose a theme like flowers, or a specific color palette ,    We could do applique blocks,   Or so many possibilities.  Any body else with great ideas to do one day?  We could keep a list on here maybe.  Just thinking out loud!

Oh I like the idea of a stack and whack exchange or how about an oriental 10 inch square exchange?

Zsofia

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 875
Points 14,775
Marlabartlett60 replied on Wed, Apr 9 2014 7:52 PM | Locked

Zsophia, funny you said that Roxana was talking about that when we met at the Ricky Tim's seminar.  An Oriental fabric swap.   Hopefully we can get this site and forum going again. There are still people that say they can't log on! I don't understand that!

MODESTO, CA.
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 411
Points 7,065
Phyllis replied on Sun, Apr 13 2014 8:07 AM | Locked

I have been using Foxfire and it doesn't work anymore.  I logged in this morning using Internet Explorer and got right in.

Bonner Springs, Kansas

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 875
Points 14,775
Marlabartlett60 replied on Sun, Apr 13 2014 10:30 AM | Locked

Phyllis:

I have been using Foxfire and it doesn't work anymore.  I logged in this morning using Internet Explorer and got right in.

Yeah You! Isn't that weird! Shouldn't matter which browser we use, but I will take it! If it gets everyone back in here!

MODESTO, CA.
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 26,175
Points 387,812
Kris replied on Sun, Apr 13 2014 10:49 AM | Locked

If one browser works but another doesn't you may need to empty the cache, delete bookmarks and remove cookies from the one you've used frequently. As QCA updates the website data will change and the info saved on your browser will be outdated.

You should do this periodically to keep your browser running smoothly. Do a search on how to empty the cache, etc for your specific browser. They're not all the same.

Isn't it great that QCA is taking a turn for the better?

Page 58 of 65 (967 items) «Prev5657585960Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.