Roxana replied on Sat, Mar 15 2014 7:45 PM | Locked

Candis, I sent you an email.

• Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 872
Points 14,980
Marlabartlett60 replied on Mon, Mar 17 2014 8:07 PM | Locked

For all that voiced interest in the Patriotic Block Swap! Please friend me al send me your info!  I have Susie, Kathy, Phyllis , and Debbie R. So far. I know others voiced interest before I put up directions, please join in!  Hope to hear from you all again!

MODESTO, CA.
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 512
Points 10,120
Judi replied on Fri, Mar 28 2014 7:13 PM | Locked

I know this is off topic, but I posted in the message board with a picture a fabric I am desperate to find. Yes, I have searched everywhere online.  I am hoping someone has some I can buy

it is Bunny Hill for Moda, Ooh La La on the Versailles pattern in pink.  I posted a picture in the quilt making message board. 

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 161
Points 2,980
Kathy G replied on Sun, Apr 6 2014 5:33 PM | Locked

In hosting my first swap, there were a number of late submissions.  As a result, and as that was not the only swap that was really delayed, the guidelines were updated and hostesses were encouraged to set resonable time frames for swap completion and mailing.  In the current swap I am hosting, there have been late submissions even though I had said they would not be accepted.  An exception was made because of the problems on the website.  While we all experienced website issues, there was nothing preventing outside communiction and the expectations were clearly stated when participants signed up.  I understand that things happen beyond our control but I feel folks need to be held to their commitments.

With all that said, I am proposing the following 30 day guide.  Once a swap is started, participants will have until the end of the current month to sign up.  The swap will close when all slots are filled or the last day of the month whichever comes first. All blocks or fabrics will be due at the end of the next month.  If a participant cannot complete the swap on time, they will need to notify the hostess no later than the 24th of the month.  Failure to complete the swap on time without notifiction of the hostess will result in banning the participant from participating in the next 3 swaps.

By adopting this plan, participants will be able to better plan on their projects and those who are not willing to take responsibility for their commitment will be limited in their ability to hold up others and place unnecessary burdens on hostesses who are required to chase them down for the items they voluntarily commited to.

I am sure there will be many who think this is harsh or unfair, or even mean.  Before you blast me out of the water, consider that there are no consequences for failure to perform at this time.  I am currently waiting to send back blocks that were due March 19th.  Every participant was given my personal email and phone number...yet I didn't hear from anyone.  As hostess, I made my commitment to the participants based upon what other commitments I had in my life.  My work requires that I am working 6 days a week now and likely will be through May.  I feel it is unreasonable to expect that hostesses and other participants wait a month (or more) beyond the original commitment because one or two folks are unwilling to communicate when they have a problem. I suspect this is the reason some are no longer willing to host and many are no longer willing to participate.  Add this to the continueing saga of the website upgrades and I predict the end of QCA unless something changes.

Just my $1.27

Kathy G

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,844
Points 32,095
Roxana replied on Sun, Apr 6 2014 6:45 PM | Locked

Kathy, you make a good point on commitments to a particular swap, however, not all swaps are equal and a month to finish some of them might be too short a time. If it is a non-sewing swap, a month is long enough if participants can get the fabric. Some of us do not have ready access to fabric and are resigned to order from the internet. We wouldn't want to do that until the swap closed. That's when they would know just how much fabric they needed. On sewing swaps, more time might be needed.

I also think that the quality of the work should be considered as well. The current swaps just finishing (i.e. placemat exchange, calendar mug rug swap, and seasonal mug rug exchange) required that the participants knew how to basically complete a small quilt from start to finish with the piecing, quilting, and binding. Some sort of requirement or penalty should also be placed on those who sign up not knowing how to do all steps to a quality acceptable to our standards. Perhaps we could see if we could borrow the rules of QATW and find a "Quilting Guru" like they have to help members who do not know how to adequately complete these tasks and those people stay out of the swaps until the "Quilting Guru"  releasing them for sewing swaps. On a similar note, no participant who has turned in faulty work would be allowed to lead a swap or participate in an exchange until released.

These are just some thoughts to add to what you have proposed. I would very much like to hear what others think about our implementing some "penalties." ... I noted that Patti commented on the Facebook page that she preferred the swaps on QATW because they had consequences (or something to that effect). ... I've participated in one of their swaps for fabric and it was nice to have it returned in a timely manner.

So.... ALL OF YOU WHO HAVE PARTICIPATED OR HOSTED A SWAP, please, PLEASE put in your 2 cents worth or more as Kathy qualifies her to be $1.27! I must be showing my age! LOL!

I would like to hear from everyone who can sign on. If you can't, please email me since most of you have my email and I will post for you.

Thanks in advance!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,844
Points 32,095
Roxana replied on Sun, Apr 6 2014 6:57 PM | Locked

Also, participation in the swaps is down because so many members cannot sign on with any regularity. In addition to that, many of our swappers have almost switched exclusively to QATW or other quilting sites where they can access the site.

I'm still holding out hope for QCA.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 56
Points 715
Gail Nelson replied on Sun, Apr 6 2014 8:00 PM | Locked

Sorry - all - I thought the swap ended 03-29 - was late anyway - - I do not want anyone to wait any longer so unfortunately will  withdraw from this swap. I hope all will understand and not penalize QCoA for my tardiness. I apologize for not having sent my blocks in a timely fashion, and wish all well in their quilting endeavors...

Gail

As an aside - used to be able to sign in with internet explorer - that was not possible so switched to google chrome - - - now that seems to not work anymore (took me a week to figure out) - so am back with Internet explorer to sign and post. . .

• Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 512
Points 10,120
Judi replied on Sun, Apr 6 2014 8:26 PM | Locked

I agree that some swaps need more time.  I just wish that people who commit to a swap would have the courtesy to let a hostess know when there are problems yes, things happen.  I know that things happen that are unexpected, unwanted and G-d awful, but one email to the hostess or to the group would make it possible for the swap to either add someone who wants to join or maybe one or two others can make up the difference. It is horribly frustrating as a hostess to get no response or empty promises of swaps that never come.

i also think there needs to be swaps for those who are learning and might be beginners. Maybe a block 1) swap or a block swap with a coach who can help the beginner get constructive pointers in improving their blocks. I know I would love to swap with someone who had already made a block that would be a stretch for me!

iAnother issue is an unhappy swapper,.  This should be fun.  Not everyone is experienced and when blocks come in late, it is hard enough to have to send back blocks but when it is so late and other swappers want theirs, we must have some ground rules covering tjis. 

These guidelines would make the hosting job more pleasant!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,408
Points 19,580
Melissa Halpain replied on Sun, Apr 6 2014 10:32 PM | Locked

This is all very interesting. Well here is my 2 cents.

I have been a part of QCA for 3 years. I have hosted swaps and participated in many swaps. Every single swap I have hosted has had late mailers. Every single swap I have participated in has been late also. Seemingly, no big deal. Apparently it is a big deal. I just like to have fun in these swaps. Being punished and banned is not my idea of fun.

I try not to judge people because I don't like anyone judging me. No one else lives in my house with me and I don't live in anyone else's house. That being said, I have no idea what is going on in anyone else's lives and homes. Therefore, I cannot judge if someone should be allowed to do a swap or not. I also sew much slower than most on this site. I would not be able to do 1/4 of what other people complete in their timeline. Is that a bad thing? I don't think so. I cannot with a clear conscious participate in any swaps with the threat of being banned.

Anyway, that being said, I am way too busy with opening my shop and other issues in my life to participate in any more swaps. I know I won't be able to keep up. I really hate making this post as I don't usually care about drama and volatile issues, but I felt I had to say my 2 cents. I don't mean to offend anyone or hurt any one's feelings. As I said before, I just want to have fun and not feel threatened or a failure. Up to now, I have had so much fun with the swaps and round robins even though I didn't get my first quilt top back. Things just happen. I will continue to participate in CQA but not the swaps.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 76
Points 895
Lisa Fenner replied on Mon, Apr 7 2014 4:04 AM | Locked

good day ladies. well just thought i would put my two cents in too. in regard to swaps why doesnt someone form a beginner swap for those that havent done a swap or fr those that have trouble meeting deadlines. this would have been so helpful for me. i know the last time i particpated in a swap i was having major issues on a lot of health and getting around issues. and on top of it all i was just learningi how to do swaps. so i basically was a newbie in swaps and in basically quilting since i havent quilted in years. but i tried to do the best i could to my capabilites at the time. i got blasted in more ways than one and was in tears for many days. 

i wish there was a beginners group for those that new or those that  have had trouble in the past. that way those that have had trouble can still get back into swapping and get back on track and then once they progress up to par after some swaps then maybe progress with the more advanced quilters and swappers.

i have learned much since my last swap i had attempted on here . not only about swaps but people and quilters and quilt shops and stores. yes when ordering of  fabric online sometimes it takes long and sometimes i dont even get fabric till when a swap closes. i have learned which sites to order from which are faster.

i do have issues signing on here to. it has been sometime since i was actually able to get on here.  i have also learned to also take in mind my health and what isis going on in my life and not to overburden myself. alot of us want to do swaps but heck i had to reevaluate if i could do a swap in time and on time. so i dont overextend myself no more. alot of ladies do that and then they have so many things going on and then they get behind or else some health issue comes along they didnt expect. sure things happen so that one thing i have learned about me. so for those ladies who have lectured me in the past i appreciate all your help . sure it hurt but life does go on and i have learned.

i sure would like to be in another swap but for now since i am going for surgery this week i wont be doing any swaps for a few months.  i would like to start a group for beginner swappers or those that have trouble getting things out on time. since been in that situation i know how it feels.

well sorry this was so long i just had to put my two cents in too.

hope this situation gets solved i dont want to be left out no more and dont want the hurt feelings like i had too. and i know othersmight feel this way too. so let me know  and i will see about starting the beginner swap group sometime in June.

have a god quilty week to all

Lisa Fenner

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,560
Points 23,665
Susie replied on Mon, Apr 7 2014 8:11 AM | Locked

Here is my opinion on the swaps.

There will always be someone that is late.  Life happens.  Build that expectation into your deadline and anticipate it.  My ex-hubby was constantly late for everything when we met.  When we started having to go places, I would tell him we had to be there 1/2  hour before we really did.  We were rarely late more than about 5 minutes.  Worked for both of us.  He knew I did that, but went with it because it kept the peace.  Do the same thing for the swaps.  If you want to receive the blocks by the 1st, set the mail date the 15th of the previous month.

The other piece of the swap, making it successful is continued communication.  If it's a long swap (block or rug, etc.), have everyone check in at least once a week.  Even if QCA is down, all participants should have the hostesses personal email address.  If the hostess hasn't heard from someone within a week, reach out a bit harder to see if there is a problem.

My last item is more of an observation than anything else.  I have noticed that the people who tend to run late are the ones who hem & haw about whether to join in.  Not always, but if someone doesn't commit completely at the beginning, it's going to be much easier for them to dawdle in completing the swap.  I have really had to push myself hard to finish up a block swap I was in when 1. I hated the block, 2. hated the colors, 3. only participated because a friend told me it would be fun.  I could have said no, but a friend convinced me it would be fun.  My experience almost turned me off swaps completely.

There...that's my $.02 (not worth much more than that.)  I do love the swaps, but am particular about what I join in on because I don't want to disappoint the others playing.

Chicagoland, Illinois

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,459
Points 244,032
Thea replied on Mon, Apr 7 2014 8:13 AM | Locked

Hi, I thought I would throw in my 2 cents - not sure if anyone wants to read it - but as they say - what the heck.

I think within this group you could open a thread for Beginner swappers! 

1) then they could be taught all the rules swappers need to know 

2) they could send their blocks to the head of the swap 

3) the head could examine the blocks and send back with constructive ways to improve should it be needed...

The person heading the swap should be able to help these individuals.  I have found that in reading the posts over here the problems seem to be

1) late postings... 

2) blocks or material that is not quality

So, another suggestion I have is if you are the lead in the swap - 

Do a lesson!  

Talk about the 1/4" seam 

Show how to make whatever it is that you are making

Talk about the quality of the fabric

And lastly - don't rush a swap...

Swap leaders could take the intiative and give lessons!  That would help beginners so much.

And I guess the lastly that I said above should have waited because I honestly believe that 

the #1 priority in a swap should be - 

If you sign up for a swap, you should give it your utmost attention to complete that swap - rather then procrastinate if the date for the swap to be in is 2 months away - when you sign up - buy your fabric(if you need to) - sit down and make whatever it is that you are swapping - send it as quickly as possible instead of waiting till that last day... 

If you don't procrastinate and start working right away - you will Get your swap to the head of the swap in a timely fashion and never have to be worried about being late...

But should LIFE step in and cause you a problem - as soon as that problem presents - get a hold of your lead person and let them know - if you have to drop out - drop out right then - if you think you can still do it but might need some more time - let the person know - they (the leaders) can and will help you.

We all want successful swaps - no one wants their feelings hurt... but if you, also, are  beginner in the quilting field let your leader know also and they will help you - that is the greatest thing about the quilting community - we want to share our knowledge - we don't want to keep it a secret...

Have fun Swapping!!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,560
Points 23,665
Susie replied on Mon, Apr 7 2014 8:36 AM | Locked

Awesome ideas, Thea!  I STILL struggle with my 1/4" seams.  I learned a new way to square up a block this weekend.  So much easier, just as effective.  I'll put it out there on the tips & tricks.

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 161
Points 2,980
Kathy G replied on Mon, Apr 7 2014 9:01 AM | Locked

You Ladies are AWESOME!

I so appreciate all of the responses and the time you have obviously spent thinking about these issues.  Keep the thread going!  Let's hear from more swappers (past and present) as well as some of you lurking about with questions about swapping.

This is an opportunity to make swapping better for everyone so don't let this chance pass you by.

Kathy G.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 872
Points 14,980
Marlabartlett60 replied on Mon, Apr 7 2014 10:41 AM | Locked

Ok I was not going to get into this but.... You asked..  Let's see if I can keep this short and to the point..hard for me...I have read all comments so far, thought carefully about each one posted.    I have been with QCA since early 2010. I joined in the swaps back then. I can honestly tell you they have come along way since then.  They have better rules better structure, and have become much more creative and interesting.  I sat out a year from QCA because of bullying basically .  I come to this board as my release from stress, to make friends, to have a creative outlet for my love, Quilting! To meet people who share that love.  Ok that said, here are my observations and opinions, mind you I have only been back on QCA for maybe 4 or 5 months officially, lurked some before that.  I missed it!!  I was the Creator and moderator of the Round Robin Group here on QCA..     Believe me when I say, what an undertaking to say the least, but I learned so much about Human Nature.

i believe any successful swap of any kind, has to have rules, and clear directions.  That is the moderators job of the group.  Specific rules and directions are the responsibility of the hostess running that swap.  Now here's the tricky part..... It is the responsibility of the participant to carefully read the rules, of the forum, ask questions.  Then read and understand the swap you are joining.  Ask questions. Your moderator and hostess, I can tell you, spent time and effort drawing up these rules and descriptions to avoid problems, to help you, to make a pleasant and fun experience for you. This is not a job, no one gets paid, this is enjoyment for them. If it isn't they shouldn't be a host or a swapper.      Basically, in life you have to follow rules, and directions if you didn't  , I assume you would be in Prison,  lol!  This is life 101...  There are leaders there are followers.   So to have a successful swap or experience in a swap, there has to be responsibility, and accountability.  I assumed reading the rules in the general swap area, that basic knowledge of sewing or quilting is required to take place in a sewing swap. If it is a fabric swap basic knowledge of cutting your fabric, and fabric quality must be known. One only has to read the directions the moderator painstakingly spent her time drawing up for you. There has been several teaching articles posted on cutting on the straight of grain, the bias etc.  It's all at your finger tips, you just have to have the willingness to search for it, learn it.  Or ask questions. Someone will gladly guide you to it, or instruct you.  It would never cease to amaze me that I spent so much time posting directions, and rules, time limits, sizes, colors, etc. then someone would ask in a post , ...when , where, how, how big, what color,  etc. when it's right there in black and white for everyone to see and refer to at any time!!  Frustrating....... It happens over and over again!    I for one ,being on this board for so long, can tell you exactly who will ask these questions over and over,  who will always be late with projects, or will maybe drop out. They are repeat offenders.   I don't know why someone would sign up for a swap that they weren't interested in, or didn't have the time, or the resources, or the knowledge to do that project.  It's all there in the rules and description, that's why it says PLEASE READ CAREFULLY BEFORE JOINING THIS SWAP,!   whew, ok. Now the 2nd most important thing, COMMUNICATION.  AGAIN BE RESPONSIBLE,  it only takes a few seconds to send a message, or a phone call, a text.  Easy right.     Life happens, people get sick, tragedies happen,  please have common courtesy   to let your hostess know.  It may not be important to you, but it is to someone! Do unto others, right?      Last but not least on my long list.  I am a Quilter, not a sewer, not a seamstress,  everyone's knowledge base is different here.  I had never made pillowcases, or mug rugs before. I was never interested in that until now, I researched how to make pillowcases online, watched utube videos, pulled up photographs of them on the web. The hostess had posted a link in the "rules"  on how to make a pillowcase also.  I watched it several, several times.  I researched it, now, I have basic knowledge of how to sew straight lines, and 1/4 in. And cutting fabric,  and Quality fabric, these things you have to know.  If you don't know these, or want to learn more or perfect them ,there are so many resources at your finger tips.  There are no excuses. I was excited to learn new things, but there is no way I would have sent out my first attempts at mug rugs or pillowcases. I am proud of my work, I want to reflect that in my creations, my name is on there, it matters to me, to do the best I can do, if I mess up, I research and practice my craft until I am good enough. There is no excuse for not doing it the best you can. There are lessons on line, there are shops with classes, there is this wonderful community, with caring , giving, loving people just waiting to share their knowledge with you.  Long story short,   Be a grown up!  Be Accountable! Be proud!  Be nice!  If you can't play well with others, then don't play!    If you don't know how to do something read, or ask, learn, improve your skills, don't just say , well that's good enough, !   It  isn't fair to those that take their time,  and spend their money to follow the rules and do it right.   I love swaps, I love seeing what others create, I couldn't wait to create mug rugs, I was excited, I agree with others, that when you sign up, keep the initial excitement you had, get started on it right away, just because you have well over a month, don't forget or put it off till there are just a few days left to send out, throw something together, and say that's good enough!  Or not send on time, it's so not fair to the others that gave thought and care into their creations for you.  So disappointing, like I said if you don't know how to do something, reaserch, practice, perfect, before it leaves your house.  Honor your commitments, or don't make them.     Final note!   There is no quilting police, there is more than one way to do everything, your way is not necessarily the correct way!  Share your knowledge, short cuts, etc.   this should be a bully free zone!!  Only helpful suggestions wanted, but please be open minded enough to receive the message!     I'm tired now!!   This hurt my brain!    Just my opinion,  and my experiences.  Oh yeah, I suck at sentence structure! Sorry!  Guess I should learn it! Lol

MODESTO, CA.
Page 56 of 65 (967 items) «Prev5455565758Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use