rated by 0 users
This post has 899 Replies | 61 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 159
Points 2,940
Kathy G replied on Mon, Dec 9 2013 8:54 PM

Kathy G:

I posted this message on another thread related to the idea of doing a holiday swap with 2 inch squares.  I am currently working on cutting the squares for the 2inch swap and they are going super fast.  Just wondering if others are interested in the idea of a 2inch square swap for holiday fabric??

This one sounds like fun.  It might be cool to pick 4 holidays (Easter, July 4th, Thanksgiving, Christmas) and have everyone do squares for each one-maybe 25 for each and open it up to more folks.  Then everyone would have enough to do table runners or a quilt if they chose to go that way.

Kathy G

Roxanna-

I wonder if anyone is interested in a holiday swap with multiple holidays???  Here's the general idea:

Swap would be for 5 inch squares-25 participants each submitting bundles of four 5 inch squares of 4 different fabric (100 squares total per participant).  The fabrics could be holiday (combination of Easter, 4th of July, Halloween, and Christmas)...or...novelty fabrics for spring, summer, fall, and winter.

A second swap idea I had was to do a totally scrappy block swap...16 participants each select a different 16 inch block from quilters cache. folks could use lots of different fabrics in all the blocks so there isn't a need to purchase fabric.  Hostess would mix and match to give everyone one of each block but try to avoid too much duplication of one color.  This one actually sounds like it wold be a hoot.  I'm willing to host one or both of these if there is interest.

Thank you!

Kathy G.

• Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,379
Points 24,090
Roxana replied on Mon, Dec 9 2013 9:05 PM

I like the second swap idea best since I don't do much with holiday fabric. What does everyone else think? Of course, we can't start another swap until after the new year!

• Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 110
Points 1,855
hhhdmh replied on Mon, Dec 9 2013 9:38 PM

I like both ideas so whatever will be fine. I am not picky. Just like to swap. God Bless. Darlene in Indiana

God Bless

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,340
Points 38,910
Mimi replied on Mon, Dec 9 2013 9:39 PM

Roxana, I like Kathy's second idea.  I'd like to add that it might be nice if each person was assigned a color or two with a neutral, like cream, so that no one would have to buy fabric but would have to make the same block in the given color scheme, each one using different fabrics in the same color families..  That way there wouldn't be any duplicate colors.  For example:  green and purple with white, or red and blue with cream, or brown and orange with tan or ......well you get the gist.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,379
Points 24,090
Roxana replied on Mon, Dec 9 2013 10:02 PM

Mimi:

Roxana, I like Kathy's second idea.  I'd like to add that it might be nice if each person was assigned a color or two with a neutral, like cream, so that no one would have to buy fabric but would have to make the same block in the given color scheme, each one using different fabrics in the same color families..  That way there wouldn't be any duplicate colors.  For example:  green and purple with white, or red and blue with cream, or brown and orange with tan or ......well you get the gist.

Mimi, to make sure I am understanding ....

- Hostess picks out the block and a neutral color.

- Participants sign up for two color families from which to make all their blocks, not necessarily the same fabrics but the same colors so that stash could be used.

Is that what you are saying? I like that idea. I'd love to use up some of my stash and not have to buy fabric.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,340
Points 38,910
Mimi replied on Tue, Dec 10 2013 6:36 AM

Roxana:
Is that what you are saying?

Yes I think you have it.   Say I would make my blocks in pinks and grays.  So I would be able to use any and all of the pink or gray that was in my stash. All of the participants could make the same block if that is what the hostess wants.  It would probably be more cohesive if everyone made the same design.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 9
Points 120

I think this is a great idea, and would love to participate.   Making all the same blocks, in a variety of colors sounds like fun.  It would be interesting to see all the different projects that come out of the same sets of blocks.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 159
Points 2,940
Kathy G replied on Tue, Dec 10 2013 10:01 AM

It sounds like we have a winner!  Roxanna, would it be okay for me to start putting together some guidelines so that folks can begin to sign up as they have time?  I definately agree that the blocks would be due end of January or early February.  It will be good to have a project to look forward to after the Christmas/holiday hustle.

Kathy G.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 357
Points 6,115
Phyllis replied on Tue, Dec 10 2013 8:43 PM

I would love to do this but don't think I could have them ready by end of January.  Maybe later in February?

Bonner Springs, Kansas

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,379
Points 24,090
Roxana replied on Tue, Dec 10 2013 8:58 PM

I can't have them ready until February either but I agree that we don't need to give it as much time as we have given some of our previous shops. I'm really in favor of waiting until the first of the year to open the swap though. Kathy, you can go ahead and start thinking about the swap guidelines and send me a private message or email with it. I'd prefer email since the site is not always dependable.

Let's all keep talking. I'm really excited about getting to use my scraps and I like signing up for certain color ways.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 5
Points 85

Hi I am Michelle from Centerville Ohio.  I have never done a swap before but I would very much like to start with this one.  What do I need to do?

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 198
Points 3,570

I'd love to join either the holiday 5" swap or the block swap...but I think that people should get to pick their 2 colors. If you assigned me 2 colors I hated I'd have a hard time participating! LOL!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,379
Points 24,090
Roxana replied on Mon, Dec 16 2013 2:33 AM

I think participants will be able to pick their two colors on a first come, first served, basis. That's the fair way to do it.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 404
Points 8,085
Judi replied on Mon, Dec 16 2013 10:36 AM

Has anyone thought of a mug mat swap?  It could be kept to groups of 5 or 10 or somewhere between

or how about a four patch swap. It could be made fron m 2 1/2 inch strips. That would make a finished 4 inch square. Those can be used in so many project. You can use 4 different steps. I figure you can get about 16 squares from each set of 4 strips. 

• Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,305
Points 21,710
Debbie replied on Mon, Dec 16 2013 9:15 PM

Judi, I like the mug swap idea but gosh, can only use so many.  Maybe, everyone make the same one, 4 patch is good using scraps, and limit to a dozen people.  Throwing out ideas. 

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

• Post Points: 5
Page 48 of 60 (900 items) «Prev4647484950Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use