This post has 966 Replies | 64 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,907
Points 33,200
Roxana replied on Fri, Sep 13 2013 5:05 PM | Locked

Melissa Halpain:

Kathy G:

I really like that pattern.  I wonder if others would be willing to make several of them?  How many folks do you think would sign up?  I was thinking that 25 would allow a larger number of people to be included but I wonder if that number would overwhelm...thoughts?

Kathy G.

Hi Kathy and everyone - I have EQ7 and there a lot of signature blocks.

Roxana - I'm ready for the calendar block when ever you are ready to set it up for me. Again thank you so much for stepping in to keep these parties rolling.

Melissa, I sent you a PM.

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,907
Points 33,200
Roxana replied on Fri, Sep 13 2013 5:05 PM | Locked

Melissa Halpain:

Kathy G:

I really like that pattern.  I wonder if others would be willing to make several of them?  How many folks do you think would sign up?  I was thinking that 25 would allow a larger number of people to be included but I wonder if that number would overwhelm...thoughts?

Kathy G.

Hi Kathy and everyone - I have EQ7 and there a lot of signature blocks.

Roxana - I'm ready for the calendar block when ever you are ready to set it up for me. Again thank you so much for stepping in to keep these parties rolling.

Melissa, I sent you a PM.

• Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,594
Points 26,785
Debbie replied on Fri, Sep 13 2013 6:26 PM | Locked

Roxana:
I wonder if others would be willing to make several of them?  How many folks do you think would sign up?  I was thinking that 25 would allow a larger number of people to be included but I wonder if that number would overwhelm...thoughts?

I think a signature quilt would be fun, scrappy so we can use up more of our scraps.

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060
Caryl Anne replied on Fri, Sep 13 2013 7:15 PM | Locked

Hi all.
IMHO I like the idea of a signature block swap, however in looking at the one in the link above, I think Anita's is a 8 or 9" finished block and the throw is small with 42 Blocks & sashing.

So if y'all get one going I believe a 9" would be the smallest to do. Now that said 25 of any size exact blocks would bore me, if I was doing them all the same fabric, however what is to stop us from using what beauties we have to produce 25 blocks of our choice. In doing so we may choose to do a few different blocks and make an extra for ourselves from each pattern. In doing so we would arrive at the # of needed blocks to make a top the size we want. 

a 6-7" block would only yield a 30" - 35"  square before any additions.The quilt will finish a small table topper or without sashing nice wall hanging for our sewing spaces A 9" finish square will give us 45" square top, add sashing and a few borders and you can get a nice throw. IF we wanted a larger quilt we can square in a square frame each block and then do a bit of sashing and a few borders to compliment the block fabrics used.

I'm thinking a 4 X 6 layout and using our own signature square on the back as an applique label. Nice welcome to my sewing room door hanger or hall wall art.

I love thinking out loud on this site.  I'll be watching for updates. Of course we will not get anything started until like SPRING???  RIGHT??

• Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,409
Points 19,530
Melissa Halpain replied on Fri, Sep 13 2013 7:33 PM | Locked

Caryl Anne:
however what is to stop us from using what beauties we have to produce 25 blocks of our choice

I agree with you Caryl Anne. I would love to see everyone's different designs and different  fabrics. I'm really looking forward to this swap when it gets up and running.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,594
Points 26,785
Debbie replied on Sat, Sep 14 2013 6:41 AM | Locked

Caryl Anne:
if I was doing them all the same fabric, however what is to stop us from using what beauties we have to produce 25 blocks of our choice. In doing so we may choose to do a few different blocks and make an extra for ourselves from each pattern. In doing so we would arrive at the # of needed blocks to make a top the size we want. 

Caryl Anne - I'm with you - let's go scrappy on this.  

Caryl Anne:
I'm thinking a 4 X 6 layout and using our own signature square on the back as an applique label. Nice welcome to my sewing room door hanger or hall wall art.

A wall hanging  (if you have room on a wall to hang it, I know there are some that don't have that luxury) would be ery nice because you could look up and get encouragement from it.  

Caryl Anne:
I love thinking out loud on this site.  I'll be watching for updates.
 I know what you mean, me too!  

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060
Caryl Anne replied on Sat, Sep 14 2013 3:32 PM | Locked

Hello Happy Saturday afternoon. Roxana has started a thread for the WINTER THEME layer cake swap.  If you put your interest here I may have you listed, however, you will need to sign in on that thread. TY               follow the link. 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,907
Points 33,200
Roxana replied on Sun, Sep 15 2013 7:51 PM | Locked

I agree that if we do the signature block, we'd be restricted by size. I like the idea of the 9" or smaller. I also like the idea of it being scrappy and getting to use our stash as well as doing different blocks in the 25. Creating 25 of the same block could get old too fast. Debbie's idea of getting encouragement from it is fantastic. What does anyone else think?

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 163
Points 3,005
Kathy G replied on Mon, Sep 16 2013 1:45 PM | Locked

You gals are so sharp!  Wish I could take you with me to work today as I'm not feeling to bright at the moment:)

I think the scrappier the better and I like the smaller size idea as it allows for more of our buddies to participate and connect.  Letting everyone select thier own block would really allow for more personalization.

Any thoughts on time frame, hostess, or number of participants?  Hope somebody wants to host soon so we get guidelines as I think it may take a little time to get these done...(that was a subtle hint for anyone who might be thinking about hosting this one *smile*)

Kathy G

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 163
Points 3,005
Kathy G replied on Mon, Sep 16 2013 3:18 PM | Locked

Here is a link to a web page that has 31-91/2 inch signature block ideas...check it out!

http://www.sylviasstitches.com/2013/03/moda-block-of-month-patterns-are-online.html

Kathy G.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 562
Points 10,825
Judi replied on Mon, Sep 16 2013 3:48 PM | Locked

I love the patterns from that blog hop!  I just do not know if I can,participate.  It will depend on when the dates will be for making these. Between the 2 blue and White stars and the red and white hearts, Ireally have a lot besides. Could this be the AFTEzr the red and white one?

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 163
Points 3,005
Kathy G replied on Mon, Sep 16 2013 4:18 PM | Locked

Judi:

I love the patterns from that blog hop!  I just do not know if I can,participate.  It will depend on when the dates will be for making these. Between the 2 blue and White stars and the red and white hearts, Ireally have a lot besides. Could this be the AFTEzr the red and white one?

Judi-

I think that there will likely be lots of folks that will want to participate so there should be a longer period for completion...probably after the new year.

Kathy G.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060
Caryl Anne replied on Mon, Sep 16 2013 5:04 PM | Locked

Kathy G:

Here is a link to a web page that has 31-91/2 inch signature block ideas...check it out!

http://www.sylviasstitches.com/2013/03/moda-block-of-month-patterns-are-online.html

Kathy G.

TY Kathy G   This is a great source of signature blocks.
30 9.5" blocks done in subtle fabrics (in other words, not over bearing) from our stash is a good size to think about a 5x6 layout =45" x 54" top add a nice sash between of say 1.5" and a simple border or two you could end up with a really nice bed cover., or of course a beautiful full size throw to cuddle under. I think it may be a doable swap. After the New Year we will all be able to spend a few months on a new block swap. I know that at this time with my sewing and crafts I do for customers it is not enough days in the month left to do a sing up. BUT we are all on the right track talking out the ideas. 

As far as using the words 'scrappy', anytime 25-30 people use their fabrics the finished project will be scrappy.
What I was referring to in my suggestion of doing different blocks , I meant that if I wanted 5 different patterns to send in the 25 blocks, I believe that to be OK. I didn't mean to imply that I would do 25 scrappy blocks. Hope that is clear intention.  If one looks at the blocks in the quilt done for Moda BOM, you will notice that the quilt blocks do not jump off at you, so much as look very good together in a group. Each block is done in uniformed fabric choices, not scrappy.
As I said earlier I do love thinking out loud.

IMHO a block swap of 25-30 9.5" squares is very doable, however with my work load for customers I would not attempt to start such an endeavor until after the New Year. I think this could be a few months of working and perhaps the sign up could take place in mid January and we could have until TAX day to send them in. Three months would be rather good don't you all think? Most of our latest and greatest swaps are lasting longer because of the detailed work involved. 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,907
Points 33,200
Roxana replied on Mon, Sep 16 2013 5:37 PM | Locked

I agree with Caryl Anne and Judi. I think this block swap needs to wait until 2014 to START. I like the idea of choosing different blocks for my 25-30 blocks, too. It could be a great quilt and a wonderful swap. Let's keep thinking on it. Thanks Kathy for your research.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 163
Points 3,005
Kathy G replied on Mon, Sep 16 2013 6:30 PM | Locked

Absolutely agree with start date!  Hope others will contribute ideas and requests so that this swap can really represent the group.  We are a diverse group from varied backgrounds with lots of experiences so I think the idea of each doing a set as Caryl Ann suggests is very cool!.  By allowing everyone to do a variety of blocks, we will all end up with very different quilts and when we put our own spin on it by putting the pieces together, it will truly incorporate the heart of everyone in the group.

Roxana-will you keep track of this information for us and remind us later on of all the good thinking that was going in to this swap?

Thanks a bunch!

Kathy G.

Page 45 of 65 (967 items) «Prev4344454647Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use