SWAP IDEAS

rated by 0 users
This post has 966 Replies | 64 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 231
Points 3,725
klaynegrimm replied on Thu, Jul 4 2013 2:27 PM | Locked

Phyllis 

Great for fall fat quarters how many were you thinking. I hope you will let me in this one too.

Thanks sew much

Kerry G

• Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 231
Points 3,725
klaynegrimm replied on Thu, Jul 4 2013 2:33 PM | Locked

A question is anyone from this group going to the Quilt Expo in Monroeville Pa (actually Pittsburgh) it is August 22-24.  Going with my DD on 24th. If swap still open maybe great place to find some new fabric pieces.

Thanks sew much

Kerry G

• Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 79
Points 1,185
swedeami replied on Thu, Jul 4 2013 6:58 PM | Locked

have the details for this swap been posted and i missed them?  if so, i apologize but not sure what we are supposed to do and when.....thanks, karen

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 79
Points 1,185
swedeami replied on Thu, Jul 4 2013 7:03 PM | Locked

the fat quarter swap is the one i'm asking about.  sorry....karen

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,907
Points 33,200
Roxana replied on Thu, Jul 4 2013 7:24 PM | Locked

Karen and Kerry, The details for the Fall Fabric Swap that Phyllis is hosting can be found in the following thread. Kerry, that's where you sign up too!

Fall Fabric Swap : hostess Phyllis

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 231
Points 3,725
klaynegrimm replied on Thu, Jul 4 2013 9:34 PM | Locked

Thanks Roxana I will get posting in the right spot soon I hope.

Kerry G

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,594
Points 26,785
Debbie replied on Mon, Jul 8 2013 9:54 AM | Locked

Debbie:

funny you should mention this... I just finished watching Craftsy Block of the Month 2013 with Laura Nownes, Block 8 for July, 60 degree triangles and diamonds, tumbling block.   I have always wanted to do a tumbling block but was intimidated by the Y seams, now her way eliminates that problem.  so I'm wondering if anyone else would want to try this and not sure if we wanted to do a block exchange or just the cut pieces (enough triangles and diamonds for a block), then you finish the block?  this would make a scrappy quilt unless we limited colors or theme.  

anyone interested or have an opinion on which way they want to go - blocks, pieces, fabric choices, theme??  I may be willing to host, once all the particulars have been laid out, hosted once and it was fun so might be convinced to do it again.  

Just a note to let everyone know I've been under the weather and first time on since Thur, Jul 4th.  I haven't forgotten this swap just not feeling up to par and getting it all together.  will do so when I feel better but wanted you to know not forgotten/

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 247,949
Barbara replied on Mon, Jul 8 2013 10:20 AM | Locked

thanks Debbie, I to have been somewhat under the weather this past weekend.  so I can understand.  Hope you are feeling better.  and we know you will get this all worked out .  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,409
Points 19,530
Melissa Halpain replied on Tue, Jul 9 2013 8:47 AM | Locked

I hope this works this time. Hi Barbara - I hope you and Debbie start to feeling better soon. It's hard to think of anything when you are not feeling well.

Do you remember, a long time ago, we were talking about doing a red, black and white swap. I was thinking about doing a red, black and white swap with charms. Since we are all taking about making totes for Christmas and gifts, I thought this would be a great time to do a charm swap. I would love to host it as I said a long time ago, I would. What do you think. If there is any interest. I would love to do this kind of a swap for totes. Let me know

Again, take care of yourselves and feel better.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

• Post Points: 95
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,580
Points 23,980
Susie replied on Tue, Jul 9 2013 9:14 AM | Locked

I would be interested in a red, white, black swap!

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 247,949
Barbara replied on Tue, Jul 9 2013 9:24 AM | Locked

Melissa, let me know when YOU want me to open a thread for a R<B<W  swap and I will do so .  I think its a great idea .  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,907
Points 33,200
Roxana replied on Tue, Jul 9 2013 9:51 AM | Locked

Melissa Halpain:

Do you remember, a long time ago, we were talking about doing a red, black and white swap. I was thinking about doing a red, black and white swap with charms. Since we are all taking about making totes for Christmas and gifts, I thought this would be a great time to do a charm swap. I would love to host it as I said a long time ago, I would. What do you think. If there is any interest. I would love to do this kind of a swap for totes. Let me know

Melissa, would these be solids or prints in the three colors? I have lots of red prints and black prints. I'm in if that's the case. I'm not sure about it if they are all solid though I wouldn't mind the white charm square being solid. Let me know.

Barbara and Debbie, I also hope you two are feeling better.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,409
Points 19,530
Melissa Halpain replied on Tue, Jul 9 2013 12:53 PM | Locked

Roxana:
Melissa, would these be solids or prints in the three colors? I have lots of red prints and black prints. I'm in if that's the case. I'm not sure about it if they are all solid though I wouldn't mind the white charm square being solid. Let me know.

I was thinking  prints. I don't do much with solids. So it would be 3 charms per person. One red, one black and one white.  I think I calculated a half a yard of each. I think that doable at 24 people. Correct me if my mathematically challenged brain has the calculations wrong.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,907
Points 33,200
Roxana replied on Tue, Jul 9 2013 1:10 PM | Locked

Melissa, to set your mind at ease, I found the following measurements for "charm math."

-------

Charm Math

A standard (approximately 18" x 21") fat quarter will produce 12 charm squares.

A 5" x width of fabric* strip will produce 8 charm squares. If you're buying yardage to cut multiple charm squares for a swap, you can use the following as a guide:

• 1/4 yard = 1 strip 5" x WOF (8 charm squares)
  • 3/8 yard = 2 strips 5" x WOF (16 charm squares)
  • 1/2 yard = 3 strips 5" x WOF (24 charm squares)
  • 5/8 yard = 4 strips 5" x WOF (32 charm squares)
  • 3/4 yard = 5 strips 5" x WOF (40 charm squares)
  • 7/8 yard = 6 strips 5" x WOF (48 charm squares)
  • 1 yard = 7 strips 5" x WOF (56 charm squares)

*These calculations are based on standard cotton print fabric that is about 42" wide. If you're using more narrow fabric, you may end up with fewer squares. Wider fabric will obviously produce more squares.

--------

Personally, I always get a little bit more than I need fabric wise to allow for straightening the grain. I think some of those measurements include that.

So if I am understanding what you are saying, you want 24 participants with each receiving one red print charm, one white print charm, and one black print charm from each participant. Is that correct? If so, I don't think you have to double it. A half yard of each should do.

My next question is do I need to send the same red print charms to all 24 participants or can my 24 come from different red prints? I'm not certain I have a half yard of any in my stash but I haven't looked. Also, do you want the prints to be tone on tone prints or just prints that are predominately that color? I know several of my blacks are black and white prints. If the white is to be a print, wouldn't it need to be tone on tone?

I'm sorry if I am asking too many questions. I just want to get it clarified in my mind. They are all things for you to think about!

• Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 399
Points 5,040
Kristie replied on Tue, Jul 9 2013 1:33 PM | Locked

I'm interested in the RWB swap too!

Page 35 of 65 (967 items) «Prev3334353637Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use