SWAP IDEAS

rated by 0 users
This post has 966 Replies | 64 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Wed, Jul 3 2013 5:13 AM | Locked

Debbie the pattern went thru just fine.  I vote scrappy , but  still unsure if I want to do pieces or blocks .  I am leaning towards blocks .

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 392
Points 4,900
Kristie replied on Wed, Jul 3 2013 7:59 AM | Locked

Debbie:

so, do we want to do blocks - each participant makes a block for all other participants (16 participants - make 16 blocks each, all identical) OR

do you just want to cut 60 degree triangles and diamonds - make enough for a quilt, now this makes a big block 18 x 17" so I need to think how many of each we would need to cut.

Good questions.  Like I said, I'm good with scrappy, but  I am fine with picking colors as well (that could even be scrappy-  if you had all of us cut from our stash of blues and purples, for example).

The benefit of doing blocks is the quick ease of putting it together at the end.  The challenge with doing the blocks (rather than just cutting the pieces) is that we have to coordinate our background fabrics and we are not able to create a continuious grouping of tumbling blocks (so that the whole top is the tumbling blocks pattern rather than chopped into blocks).

So, I'd vote to just cut the triangles/diamonds and swap those.

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,345
Jacy replied on Wed, Jul 3 2013 8:14 AM | Locked

I don't know if I'll do this swap, but if I did, my vote would be for pieces. Normally I would prefer blocks, but with this particular one I would want to do continuous tumbling blocks rather than a stack of blocks on each block ( I hope that made sense)  

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Wed, Jul 3 2013 8:52 AM | Locked

jacy ,now that does make sense ,I didn't think about that. So Debbie I'm changing my vote to the pieces as well Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 79
Points 1,185
swedeami replied on Wed, Jul 3 2013 9:26 AM | Locked

i took part in a swap in texas over the winter and we were asked to used kona cotton in black for background.  is that something we could coordinate?  and i learned something else - they use the terms ICE for ivory/cream/ecru (first letters of each word) fabrics when doing a swap, and BITE for beige/ivory/cream/ecru.  this worked really well, alot better than saying light background.  .........karen  

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Wed, Jul 3 2013 9:39 AM | Locked

swedeami:
and i learned something else - they use the terms ICE for ivory/cream/ecru (first letters of each word) fabrics when doing a swap, and BITE for beige/ivory/cream/ecru.  this worked really well, alot better than saying light background.

I really like your acronyms for background colors!  I happened to think that our HST swap blocks might have every color under the sun as the lighter half of the square.  Oh well, it will work out fine, I think.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 389
Points 6,670
Phyllis replied on Wed, Jul 3 2013 11:59 AM | Locked

Is anyone ready for fall?  It's going to be time to start Christmas sewing pretty soon but I'd like to get a few fall things done for Thanksgiving before I start Christmas.  I was thinking of a fat quarter fall fabric swap.  I was thinking kind of scrappy, as long as it is fall colors and fabric I would be open to about anything.  If anyone is interested and has other ideas, I'm open.  Just need some fall fabrics.....

Bonner Springs, Kansas

• Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Wed, Jul 3 2013 12:06 PM | Locked

Phyllis sound s good to me , let me know if there is enough interest. Barbara 

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,408
Points 19,580
Melissa Halpain replied on Wed, Jul 3 2013 1:07 PM | Locked

I would be interested in fat quarters. I'm open to anything everyone decides though.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 79
Points 1,185
swedeami replied on Wed, Jul 3 2013 3:25 PM | Locked

i think fat quarters is a great idea!  i would go for that.  BTW, i made an error in the acronyms earlier - BITE is beige, ivory, taupe and ecru.  sorry.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Wed, Jul 3 2013 3:26 PM | Locked

Phyllis and Debbie .I am going to open up threads for you  so when you both are ready you can add your  requirements .I love how all of you are jumping in to do these swaps ,Y'all are wonderful , Swaps are just going some much better now .  Once you both have all your requirements listed please post a message on the main forum for our members .  thanks Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,516
Points 25,360
Debbie replied on Wed, Jul 3 2013 5:48 PM | Locked

ok, for the tumbling blocks - for the block that I posted earlier, it takes

-  Light (B): ⅛ yard  --Cut one 3¾" x 42" strip. Use the 60-degree angle marking on the ruler to cut 14 triangles.

• Medium (C): ⅛ yard - Cut one 3½" x 42" strip. Use the 60-degree angle marking on the ruler to cut seven diamonds.

• Dark (D): ⅛ yard -  Cut one 3½" x 42" strip. Use the 60- angle marking on the ruler to cut seven diamonds.

by my calculations each block she showed, which had 7 tumbling blocks in it, row 1 -2 then 3 on row 2, then 2 on row 3.  each block like that size(18" x 17") would need 14 triangles of light, 7 diamonds EACH of med and dark material - with 16 participants we're looking at 224 triangles, and 112 of each med and dark diamonds.  each participant would then provide their own background when she receives her pieces, here's measurements for them: (if you want to go that route)  

- Yardage and Cutting: Based on 42"-wide fabric

• Background (A1): ¼ yard - Cut one 3½" x 42" strip. Cut into four 3½" x 10" pieces. Use the 60-degree angle marking on the ruler to cut the angle on two 10" pieces.  Cut reversed angles on the remaining two 10" pieces to make four A’s.

• Background (A2): One 3¾" x 42" strip Use the 60-degree angle marking on the ruler to cut eight triangles for A2’s.

okay, just thinking out loud here want to be sure my calculations are correct. so bear with me,  If you just want the little blocks -  it takes 2 triangles/light fabric; 1 diamond/med fabric and 1 diamond/ dark fabric for each little tumbling block, right?  so, if we each did enough for 10 small tumbling blocks that's 320 triangles/light; and 160 diamonds of each med & dark fabric.  wold that be enough for a quilt or not?  

Please remember I'm just thinking out loud, on paper, and not the requirements yet!  Man, this is too much thinking for my old noggin' right now so let me know if my calculations are wrong.  won't e the first time I've been wrong and surely not the last either.  how many do you want to cut  - 7 or 10?

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Wed, Jul 3 2013 6:05 PM | Locked

Debbie ,I have no idea as I'm not real good at math, so I'm gonna let better brains then I own check your calculations.  but this all sounds good and probably is correct.   LOL  sorry I can't help you . It would take me a week to figure this out ..and then I'd just cheat and Ask Thea .. LOL   Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 508
Points 10,040
Judi replied on Wed, Jul 3 2013 8:10 PM | Locked

I also like the idea of fat quarters. 

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 392
Points 4,900
Kristie replied on Thu, Jul 4 2013 2:18 PM | Locked

Debbie:

• Background (A1): ¼ yard - Cut one 3½" x 42" strip. Cut into four 3½" x 10" pieces. Use the 60-degree angle marking on the ruler to cut the angle on two 10" pieces.  Cut reversed angles on the remaining two 10" pieces to make four A’s.

• Background (A2): One 3¾" x 42" strip Use the 60-degree angle marking on the ruler to cut eight triangles for A2’s.

okay, just thinking out loud here want to be sure my calculations are correct. so bear with me,  If you just want the little blocks -  it takes 2 triangles/light fabric; 1 diamond/med fabric and 1 diamond/ dark fabric for each little tumbling block, right?  so, if we each did enough for 10 small tumbling blocks that's 320 triangles/light; and 160 diamonds of each med & dark fabric.  wold that be enough for a quilt or not?  

I think it will be enough for a quilt, though it might be only a large throw or twin side without borders.  I'm good with 7 or 10.

Page 34 of 65 (967 items) «Prev3233343536Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use