SWAP IDEAS

rated by 0 users
This post has 966 Replies | 64 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,726
Points 364,652
Kris replied on Sun, Jun 2 2013 5:29 PM | Locked

The only thing I don't like about Jenny Doan's method is that it puts all the bias edges on the outside. You will need to be extra careful to not stretch them.

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,791
Points 31,005
Roxana replied on Sun, Jun 2 2013 5:41 PM | Locked

Kris:

The only thing I don't like about Jenny Doan's method is that it puts all the bias edges on the outside. You will need to be extra careful to not stretch them.

I spray starch my fabric with Best Press (non-scented) before I cut and that takes care of the bias. Or at least it has for me in working with this method and pinwheels.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 487
Points 9,680
Judi replied on Sun, Jun 2 2013 6:28 PM | Locked

Good idea, but the difference between HST and The quarter squares is the bias. If I need to make a lot of them, I worry about the stretching. If I need a lot of the HST, I either use Thangles or Triangulations. Just MHO.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,592
Points 118,865
Judy Taylor-Bellingham replied on Sun, Jun 2 2013 7:19 PM | Locked

Judi:

Good idea, but the difference between HST and The quarter squares is the bias. If I need to make a lot of them, I worry about the stretching. If I need a lot of the HST, I either use Thangles or Triangulations. Just MHO.

I just tried Jenny's method and, yes, it is easy and fast. Then I tried the paper method from quilting and what not website (probably similar to Thangles paper). I agree with the stretching possibility and found the paper method to be just as fast and easy.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 56
Points 715
Gail Nelson replied on Sun, Jun 2 2013 9:18 PM | Locked

Would love to participate in an HST swap!!!! I had made about 400 2 1/2" 'cause I had fabric and figured that if I made them I would figure out "something" - - - still working on that but it would be nice for greater variety......

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060
Caryl Anne replied on Mon, Jun 3 2013 2:17 AM | Locked

Hang in there everyone.
Roxana is working out all the measurements for fabric requirements, and important stuff, to get the HST swap on the pages this week. She has been a busy bee this weekend.
I am definitely in on this one, and Gail I to have several pieces in a bin for something in the future.
Judi, thanks for the need to have a bunch, it seems that several others need them as well.
Kris great to see you here, it has been a while, for me at least, your input and Mimi's is always a welcome read.

I just want to put my 2cents in about Jenny Doan's method. I have subscribed to her You Tube channel for a few years, most of what she does is great, but, I think making a ton of HST using her method is a bit like eating toooo much candy in one sitting, you might just get sick. I try to avoid bias edges as much as possible, unless I am making QST which in essence is what she is doing in that video. However that said I have made large pinwheels using layer cake cuts for tote fronts using that exact method, and they turn out; quick and easy. Here is what I found to be a downfall when useing precuts, we really need to be aware that they may need to be starched, as Roxana states she uses Best Press starch alternative. Did you know that Best Press does not have any starch in it? If we use starch, bugs may eat your shelved fabric. LOL

OK I digress got off the subject just a tad, see you in the swap discussion. (open open open)

• Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Mon, Jun 3 2013 8:37 AM | Locked

Just to let everyone know ,Roxana ,has told me this swap will be for Sept deadline, so she will be giving everyone plenty of time to work on these, on what ever method work s for you ,they are all good in their own way, just use what makes you happy ,no one is going to be upset.  Bonus ,I hate making  HST , just not one of my favorite things to do ,but I will for this swap  LOL    Roxana will let me know when she is ready to have me open a thread for her.  so hang in there ladies, no big rush .. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,791
Points 31,005
Roxana replied on Mon, Jun 3 2013 8:45 AM | Locked

Thanks, Barbara!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Mon, Jun 3 2013 9:34 AM | Locked

No problem Roxana

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,370
Points 174,978
Marie replied on Mon, Jun 3 2013 11:04 AM | Locked

Caryl Anne:
However that said I have made large pinwheels using layer cake cuts for tote fronts using that exact method, and they turn out; quick and easy

Caryl Anne, would you care to share your tote pattern?  

Millbury, MA

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060
Caryl Anne replied on Mon, Jun 3 2013 4:40 PM | Locked

Hi Marie, oh my simple basic tote is so easy I use three layers, base fabric, lining fabric and a structured inner stabilizer, I like the fusible fleece but there are so many to choose from. The measurements are 20" x WOF of course if the fabric is directional then you have to cut it different. Layer these and quilt with a simple cross or squares or just a few times across the fabrics. Construct whatever outer pocket you want with a quilt square & lining and a thin stabilizer back onto the quilt square. Iron on so the stitching does not ever pull apart. Put the pocket on front and or back of the tote. Construct as in a boxed bottom, serge the seams or finish with over locking stitch add some cotton web straps and use a binding for around the top of the tote. Very simple indeed.  Make it in a few hrs. This is a great size for shopping, deep but not too deep and about 19” wide with a 4” bottom. I have on occasion added an inner pocket for my sisters who don’t carry purses when they shop, place it deep about 6” from the top. Have fun and thanks for asking.

• Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 128
Points 1,135
Liz replied on Mon, Jun 3 2013 5:01 PM | Locked

roxana, i would like to join the hst swap

i know it isnt open yet but i dont want to miss the signup, i think it will fill up fast.  can you add me to the group?

Liz

South of Boston, MA

Not Ranked
Posts 69
Points 1,275
basketbear replied on Tue, Jun 4 2013 6:34 AM | Locked

Hi Roxana,

I would like to join your HST group when it starts, however, I would like more info on it...will they be batiks or 'regular' fabrics?  Also, I vote for  2 1/2" size.

thanks for offering to host this one!

Regina

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 487
Points 9,680
Judi replied on Tue, Jun 4 2013 9:38 AM | Locked

I needed a quick gift and this is perfect!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Tue, Jun 4 2013 9:41 AM | Locked

Hi everyone I have opened the thread for Roxana so please wait until she gets her instructions up before you sign up ,she will be taking all the names from here and adding them to the list so if you want to take part just hold on and she will have it going here soon. Thanks Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Page 31 of 65 (967 items) «Prev2930313233Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use