rated by 0 users
This post has 899 Replies | 61 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,019
Points 20,425
Carol W replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 11:22 AM

MelodyP MO/KS:
This would be more of a group. What I was thinking is that the size of block and the type of fabric would be decided up front. Then each month one person would select a block for the group to make. The next month would be ask to pick another block. So at the end of the year of the year you would have a quilt. This would be more of a quilting bee and people could join in anytime. A 24/7 quilting bee lol

I think I would be interested in this but am not totally following the idea.  Does the same person select each block and everyone makes just blocks for their quilt with no swapping?  Is this correct?

Carol W. in Arkansas

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,005
Bev Yes it would be more of a quilting Bee but on line. With each member taking turns selecting the block it would belong to all of us and stat a Sisterhood in our craft. Skype would be cool but do not critique what we look like! lol! That may be an idea for those who want to.

MelodyP

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,005
Barbara knows me well and she is right. Thanks Barbara : D

MelodyP

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,005
Carol, the blocks would be ours we would not swap anything but fun, time, pictures and friendship. No I would select January but someone else would select Feb. I was thinking that it would give everyone to be part. When all the blocks are done you can set it together however you choose and the show it off. I know I stick pretty close to my comfort level, but this way I could try different types of blocks and types of quilting. Does that help?

MelodyP

• Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060
Caryl Anne replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 11:40 AM

MelodyP MO/KS:
This would be more of a group. What I was thinking is that the size of block and the type of fabric would be decided up front. Then each month one person would select a block for the group to make. The next month would be ask to pick another block. So at the end of the year of the year you would have a quilt. This would be more of a quilting bee and people could join in anytime. A 24/7 quilting bee lol

Great idea, would QCA set up a new GROUP for this so that he threads wouldn't get lost in the other group discussions? I'm not at all knowing how that would work. perhaps someone can contact the moderator of groups to see what steps can be taken to insure a great set up for a BOM quilting BEE. Sew fun and this way if someone can't get to the BOM right away they can still sew along and make their own quilt.

You aren't suggesting a share the BOM are you?
  In other words this would be just for our enjoyment, good questions and help along the way from other members, as in the appliqué group and machine embroidery.

Sometimes I am in need of doing a quick something to break up working on a quilt top, and I did do several BOM last year for a group at the shop close to me. Even though I couldn't do them all I had fun doing the few that were in my time frame.

• Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060
Caryl Anne replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 11:43 AM

LOL we must have all been typing at the same time here this AM.. LOL good morning!!  MelodyP and Carol  !!!!

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 357
Points 6,115
Phyllis replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 12:00 PM

I'm not sure I understand all of the ideas but I think I would like to be a part of this BOM group

Bonner Springs, Kansas

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,110
Points 410,964
gini replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 12:14 PM

we do a block of the month  in the applique group and it works very well.  we are halfway through our second quilt now.  we pick out  a group of patterns to begin with and we work from easiest to hardest in that group of patterns.

with piecing you could select your block  each month and that would work very well.

a suggestion, you will have experienced piecers and beginners.  you might pick two blocks every month that are similar.  like two different star blocks. one that is pretty easy and straight forward,  and one a bit more complicated for piecers with more hours under their belts.  or do like we do over in applique and start with easy and work your way up to harder.  or do all easy.   there are so many options. 

i am doing this in our quilt guild they make two blocks every month and bring one for the drawing and one for themselves.  at the end i have a twisted ribbon border that they all should be able to do by the end of the year.   this website has a bunch of block of the month series for free.  i'll get the name for you if you are interested in it.  

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,110
Points 410,964
gini replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 12:15 PM

i think a block-of-the-month group is a great idea.

and i can't remember who said it, but calling the group a' the quilting bee'  is another great idea. 

i love QCA, there are always so many great ideas floating around.

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,005
Caryl Anne, I've already contacted QCA so we can have a separate thread. And help me set up all the "hoosie what's it's" that I may not have thought of. Girl, I haven't figured out how to respond to quotes! lol DA So I need all the help i CAN GET!LOL Phyllis It will really be pretty simple but any specific questions feel free to ask.

MelodyP

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,005
gini, I like the idea fo two blocks. I want all level of quilter to be comfortable.

MelodyP

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,005
Guys I thought of something else, there would be no deadline, cut off date, mailing. Each person is working at their own ability and speed, on their own quilt, The quilt police are welcome if they want to make their own quilt. Your quilt can be scrappy or color coordinated, it can be any color or fabric type although flannel and homespun are harder to work with in this situation so you may want to not use them. People can start anytime of the year and still be a part. If they want to go back and catch up that would be up to them. This is how easy it would be. Will keep everyone informed as soon as QCA gets in touch. I have counted 7 who have said they would be interested, so will keep you guys posted.

MelodyP

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,041
Points 169,848
Marie replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 2:55 PM

Melody, I'd love to join in as well.

Millbury, MA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,005
Marie, I'm so glad.

MelodyP

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,005
The Quilting Bee Group is being organized even as we speak so be on the look out for it!

MelodyP

Page 8 of 60 (900 items) «Prev678910Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use