EQ7 Class Quilt University

rated by 0 users
This post has 378 Replies | 15 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Thu, Aug 16 2012 9:25 PM

Judy that is great , if we have any questions we can at least ask them and hopefully you  can help us if we need it . I am looking foward to doing this class. Joan ,good to have you joining all of us. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,577
Points 118,625

Barbara:

Judy that is great , if we have any questions we can at least ask them and hopefully you  can help us if we need it . I am looking foward to doing this class. Joan ,good to have you joining all of us. Barbara

Well, that's kind of funny Barbara. Cuz, I figure I'll have all of you to clarify things that I missed or wasn't sure of!  Perhaps it will be the blind leading the blind?

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Thu, Aug 16 2012 9:48 PM

ROFL,   Judy you are probably right, , Oh we will all manage somehow ,it will be intresting  at least .. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 806
Points 12,419
Joan L. replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 7:32 AM

Thanks Judy, Sometimes I just don't get it at first.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 65
Points 1,090
Starling replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 8:45 AM

I have a question about the set up for these classes. I've never taken one at Quilt University, but I've done other classes at other venues online. Is this a class where you get extensive written materials and then follow the class on your own or are these video classes with some written material, but where most of the instruction is in the video? I've done well with both types, but if they are video classes and you lose access after 4 to 6 weeks, they won't work for me. I tend to need to go back and watch the class again.

I am seriously thinking about taking the class. Having a bunch of people who are also taking it to talk about the class with would be wonderful. And I really would like to not just learn the beginnings of the program, but start moving into more difficult areas.

Starling

Please visit my blog at http://walkinglifespathagain.blogspot.com/

• Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 8:51 AM

Starling this class I'm taking now is really more written material .and some pictures , but it is very well written and the instructor is quick to answer any questions you may have. You do work on your own , but that to is my preference.  I have not found the classes to be difficult ,in this format. Hope that helped.  this is one of the reasons we are all going to post here so that all of taking the class can sorta work together and  get thru this .It does help when you have someone doing this with you..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,577
Points 118,625

Starling:
I've never taken one at Quilt University, but I've done other classes at other venues online. Is this a class where you get extensive written materials and then follow the class on your own or are these video classes with some written material, but where most of the instruction is in the video?

Like Barbara said, it's written materials that you follow step by step. Very detailed and thorough with graphics used as examples. I put the class instructions for each week in a 3-ring notebook. As I was going along, I used little sticky tabs to "bookmark" certain pages that I wanted to easily reference. The online written instructions do go away a few weeks after the last lesson is over but if you've printed them or saved to your hard drive you will always have them to reference.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 11:36 AM

I knew I wouldn't be able to devote the time to take the class when it was offered last year. I just made PDF files of all the lessons and did them as time permitted. You can also print out all the class material and take the lessons as your time becomes available. As far as I remember, there are no videos available for these classes. But then again, this was the class offered last year. Maybe this year they have videos. 

Hope this helps.

northern colorado

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 10:13 PM

tonight I had my third class, in the quilting area, we are going to be doing thread art , so this one will take me a few days to work on as I'm also trying to get ready for the Ohio retreat.  Only one more class to go .. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Sat, Aug 18 2012 7:38 AM

Barbara:

tonight I had my third class, in the quilting area, we are going to be doing thread art , so this one will take me a few days to work on as I'm also trying to get ready for the Ohio retreat.  Only one more class to go .. Barbara

Barbara, is this a class from QU? or something from your LQS?

northern colorado

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 65
Points 1,090
Starling replied on Sat, Aug 18 2012 8:17 AM

Judy T-Bellingham:

Starling:
I've never taken one at Quilt University, but I've done other classes at other venues online. Is this a class where you get extensive written materials and then follow the class on your own or are these video classes with some written material, but where most of the instruction is in the video?

Like Barbara said, it's written materials that you follow step by step. Very detailed and thorough with graphics used as examples. I put the class instructions for each week in a 3-ring notebook. As I was going along, I used little sticky tabs to "bookmark" certain pages that I wanted to easily reference. The online written instructions do go away a few weeks after the last lesson is over but if you've printed them or saved to your hard drive you will always have them to reference.

Thank you. That was exactly what I needed to know. I've done Photoshop - Digital Scrapbooking classes exactly this way, and they worked just fine. In fact for a computer class, possibly better than videos would.

Starling

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sat, Aug 18 2012 8:24 AM

Lillie this is from Quilt U .I am doing a quilting class. to learn how to do Trapunto ant thread art,  this is so I can do A Whole Cloth Quilt . It will also help me with just my regular Quilting. I have been asked by my LQS to teach a beginners class in FMQ for domestic machines and I'm trying to learn some good techniques to use ,plus I jsut wan tto learn all I can about FMQ.. Barbara.

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sat, Aug 18 2012 8:25 AM

Starling ,I agree ,I Love having the materials to refer to when I need to refresh or just unsure of something. I do like videos ,but I love having the information better.

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 65
Points 1,090
Starling replied on Sat, Aug 18 2012 8:30 AM

I've ordered the class. I will be gone for a week in early September, but I'll be back before the class starts. My experience in the past tells me that I'll print out the classes and put them into a binder. I already have one with the pdf classes that come with the program. I see that the second class will start about the time the first one ends and I'll probably take that one too. Registration is not yet open for that one, but they have put dates on the late September and early October classes.

Starling

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Sun, Aug 19 2012 7:12 AM

Barbara:

Lillie this is from Quilt U .I am doing a quilting class. to learn how to do Trapunto ant thread art,  this is so I can do A Whole Cloth Quilt . It will also help me with just my regular Quilting. I have been asked by my LQS to teach a beginners class in FMQ for domestic machines and I'm trying to learn some good techniques to use ,plus I jsut wan tto learn all I can about FMQ.. Barbara.

Barbara, what's the name of the class from Quilt U? Sounds interesting.

What a compliment for you to be asked to teach a class for your LQS. I love FMQ, but I'm not as good at it as I would like to be.

northern colorado

Page 4 of 26 (379 items) «Prev23456Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use