EQ7 and MACs

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie Posted: Fri, Feb 15 2013 12:01 PM

I have been running EQ7 on a parallels program from my MAC and have recently gotten in a bind.  Windows saw EQ7 as a virus and deleted it.  I was able to recover the exe file but lost all my project files.  Then I found them but now EQ7 doesn't recognize them. gee-wiz  does it have to be that complicated???

Anyone have any advice, knowledge they' like to share? other than buying a laptop to use solely for EQ?  I am about to do just that.

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,823
Points 365,992
Kris replied on Fri, Feb 15 2013 12:33 PM

Annie,

it was not worth the trouble to me to run EQ (starting with 6 now 7) on my Mac. I did buy a small windows laptop just for EQ. It sits next to my sewing machine.

I found that, while the program ran on my Mac, I was not able to fully utilise all the features. Plus I really hated booting into windows.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Fri, Feb 15 2013 12:57 PM

Kris,

Thanks for you input.  I know computers are relatively cheaper these days, but when I think that in addition to the $189 I spent on the program, and then having to invest another $500 or so just to run it, boy, that's a large chunk of change for this hobby of mine.

Just think of all the fabric I can buy with $500....

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 211
Points 2,210
StefiKay replied on Fri, Feb 15 2013 1:02 PM

Annie

I did the same as Kris. I had tried to run EQ7 on the Mac but it was such a pain in the butt, I just got a little laptop from Dell and just use it for EQ...

For me it was worth the extra cost just to be rid of the headaches. I love my Mac but until the EQ company starts making their products compatible with more than just Windows, I'm willing to make the sacrifice.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Fri, Feb 15 2013 2:30 PM

Looking into it....

I'm just so spoiled with my big Mac screen

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,823
Points 365,992
Kris replied on Fri, Feb 15 2013 6:22 PM

I wrote to the good folks at EQ and they have no immediate plans to make a Mac version. Phooey.

Annie you can hook the windows machine up to a TV.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Sat, Feb 16 2013 5:51 PM

Kris,

You mean from a laptop?

Kris:
Annie you can hook the windows machine up to a TV.

finally recovered all my files, very frustrating morning, but all is  better.  Still want a laptop, though

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,823
Points 365,992
Kris replied on Sat, Feb 16 2013 6:06 PM

Yes Annie,

you can connect it to a TV and use that as your monitor.

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,669
Points 120,410

Annie:
finally recovered all my files, very frustrating morning, but all is  better.  Still want a laptop, though

So nice. I love having EQ7 with me when I travel or go to classes and at retreats. Annie, you might check into a netbook.  It's windows and doesn't have all the bells and whistles as a laptop. But  it will run EQ7 and may be a cheaper way to go. And, it's small and light. You can always hook it up to your large monitor at home. That's what I do. I have a full keyboard and a large flat monitor on my desk that my laptop is hooked up to.

There are also full sized laptops out there at under $400.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Sun, Feb 17 2013 7:55 AM

Judy & Kris, my 2 experts,

at the risk of sounding computer illiterate, which I don't think i really am,  do you have a separate mouse that you use when navigating through EQ?  do you find it restrictive?

My MAC just froze up AGAIN when trying to resume the Virtual Machine in Windows.  going to Costco this morning to look at laptops.

Judy, I think I might bite the bullet and go for a regular laptop and not a netbook, if I'm going to invest in anything.  Like you said, I might be able to get something for $400.

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,669
Points 120,410

Annie:
Judy, I think I might bite the bullet and go for a regular laptop and not a netbook, if I'm going to invest in anything.  Like you said, I might be able to get something for $400.

Go for it Annie. You will be so much happier with EQ7 on a Windows machine. Yes, you definitely need a mouse. Although some folks are really good with the tracking button and keyboard commands, I find it awkward doing the fine details without a mouse.

Don't forget the virus protection also. Let us know how it all turns out.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,823
Points 365,992
Kris replied on Sun, Feb 17 2013 8:30 PM

Annie:
at the risk of sounding computer illiterate, which I don't think i really am,  do you have a separate mouse that you use when navigating through EQ?  do you find it restrictive?

I use the mouse that came with the laptop. A regular two button with a scroll wheel in the centre.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Mon, Feb 18 2013 11:09 AM

Went to Costco to see what they had, but my DH insisted that he corrected the problem I was having and that I will  be able to use the Virtual Machine and EQ7 without any hiccups.  

He defraged Windows and other stuff on MAC.  I will give it ONE week and then off to the store I go and buy my Laptop!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,823
Points 365,992
Kris replied on Mon, Feb 18 2013 8:16 PM

Good luck Annie. I hope it works out for you.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use