New EQ user....where do I start

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 55
Kat Wolf Posted: Mon, Jan 14 2013 6:21 AM

Hi everyone,

I got EQ7 for Christmas and have been playing around with it, but I haven't figured out how to actually create a block that I can print. I have the manual, but the way it is written doesn't flow well for me to figure out how to get to the end result. Can anyone help?

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,837
Points 123,680

Kat Wolf:

Hi everyone, I got EQ7 for Christmas and have been playing around with it, but I haven't figured out how to actually create a block that I can print. I have the manual, but the way it is written doesn't flow well for me to figure out how to get to the end result. Can anyone help?

Kat. Open EQ7, close the first two pop ups. At the top click on Help. Then select EQ Lessons (PDF). I printed off each lesson, put them in a binder so I could make notes as I did each lesson. These will give you a good basis for getting started.

There are also on-line courses at Quilt University but they aren't always available, just like real college courses.

And, don't forget to go often to the EQ website. There is a wealth of information and help there. 

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 65
Points 1,090
Starling replied on Mon, Jan 14 2013 12:53 PM

I did the same thing Judy did. I watched all the videos and I did all the lessons. I also printed them out and put them in a binder. When you finish the lessons you can do everything that is basic, including print with your own printer.

Starling

Please visit my blog at http://walkinglifespathagain.blogspot.com/

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 55
Kat Wolf replied on Mon, Jan 14 2013 4:16 PM

Thanks for the help. I will try watching the videos and trying to follow along. I know that this software is pretty powerful, but I am getting frustrated trying to figure it out. I tried watching the first video when I got it, but I didn't make it through the whole video because I kept getting interupted. Maybe I will try to find some "me" time to make sure I am not constantly stopping and starting again.

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,979
Points 368,857
Kris replied on Mon, Jan 14 2013 4:23 PM

If you want to print a block you click on the printer icon in your toolbar (top of the page) you will see options to print the block, rotary cutting, foundations or templates.

The manual has step-by-step lessons for you to follow. Try going through it from the beginning.

The EQ website is a good source and Electric Quilt has a YouTube channel. Their blog is good as well.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,368
Points 19,455
safrmaz replied on Mon, Jan 14 2013 6:22 PM

I got EQ7 a year ago and played with it for several months.  I printed the lessons and followed them till I had time to take EQ7 Sampler from Quilt University.  I'm currently on Lesson 2 (there are 4 lessons in the course).  The step by step lessons are great and I plan to keep a notebook so I'll have another reference tool.  

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use