rated by 0 users
This post has 168 Replies | 9 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,810
Points 365,747
Kris replied on Mon, Dec 17 2012 7:56 PM

Barbara,

the "DO" is DH and my last names. I use the name "DO Quilting" on patterns that I design (haven't shared many). I own the copyright for the photo that's why I put the watermark on it. I do this because people download photos from the web and use them as their own. Sometimes the mark is more apparent.

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Mon, Dec 17 2012 9:19 PM

Thanks Kris , I was just curious as I had noticed this on some of your blocks.  That's a really good idea .Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,517
Points 47,270

I am working on block 2 and having trouble. I have never done the "v" seams before. Any tips? I have tried using the machine and by hand. By hand is a little better but not very good, I have frogged so much that I am going to have to cut new pieces as the first are starting to shred. Catching up isn't going as quickly as I thought, LOL.

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,419
Points 243,307
Thea replied on Sun, Dec 23 2012 5:56 AM

Pat, I am not sure I can help you but I will try... when I do a Y seam - this is how I do it... I draw the 1/4" seam line on the fabric in pencil - I put a pin in the corners where the 1/4" seam is - then I start sewing at that pin and sew to the next pin - I then pivot right on this pin - folding the fabric back so it is smooth and I sew to the next pin.  I never sew past the pins - It is difficult to explain with out showing you - I have been debating doing these blocks so maybe I'll cut one out after church today and take some pictures if someone else can't help you more by then...

But I do draw that line on and it helps immensely - either doing by hand or machine - but I do not sew past the pins and I start right at the first one - and you have to leave needle down at that Y point and you kind of scrunch the material around until it is flat to go the next direction... does any of that make sense.

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,810
Points 365,747
Kris replied on Sun, Dec 23 2012 2:52 PM

Pat,

this can be done without Y-seams.

Make the wedge units first. Sew a small triangle to the right side of the background triangle and the other to the left side of the top of the wedge.

Lay them together matching seams and sew a straight line. 

For the red wedges do the same thing then add the outside triangles.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,517
Points 47,270

thanks for the tips. I've been out all day so will try tomorrow when I am not so tired.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,810
Points 365,747
Kris replied on Wed, Dec 26 2012 2:28 AM

Here's block six:

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Wed, Dec 26 2012 4:55 PM

Kris ,i love it  very pretty barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Wed, Dec 26 2012 4:58 PM

I finished my blocks six today as well . Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,810
Points 365,747
Kris replied on Wed, Dec 26 2012 5:43 PM

Very nice Barbara.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Sat, Dec 29 2012 7:18 PM

Kris,

love your block. What method did you use?  I used templates and I can't get my edges to match up, very frustrating. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,810
Points 365,747
Kris replied on Sat, Dec 29 2012 8:04 PM

Annie:
Kris,

love your block. What method did you use?  I used templates and I can't get my edges to match up, very frustrating. 

Freezer paper templates. Mine didn't match up too well either.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,517
Points 47,270

Everyone's blocks are so pretty. I enjoy seeing them all. I am still on block 2. I have made two that are awful. So, I will have to try again. This is quite humbling. I thought I was a confident beginner quilter but am beginning to think I am a rank beginner. LOL! Kris, I tried your method of avoiding the v seams and it worked until I tried to put the sections together. I will try again and if I can't get a halfway decent one then I am just going to go on to block 3. I will be busy all day today but only work half day tomorrow and am off on Tuesday so hopefully I will make some headway. I took my 7700 in for service yesterday so only have my little machine to work on so I can really only work on blocks right now anyway. This is really good practice even if frustrating. Hope everyone has a happy sewing day.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Sun, Dec 30 2012 9:02 AM

Kris:
Freezer paper templates. Mine didn't match up too well either.

Kris, I am a little disappointed with BB since I can only get exact corners when I either PP or strip cut.  Just a thought, could it be that even though the piece looks like an equilateral triangle but it isn't and I wind up using the wrong edge???  I guess the same can be try for pieces that look symmetrical but may not be.  I would love it if they gave cutting instructions using HST or QSTs

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Sun, Dec 30 2012 9:04 AM

Hi Barbara, great colors,

Hi Pat, love your block.

What cutting method did you both use?

Page 9 of 12 (169 items) «Prev7891011Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use